How many new players do we need?

stozo

I wouldn't cry into my pillow if Taylor and Faye were still the first choice pair going into next season. We do need a centre-back though.

(Though i'd still argue that Caçapa/Faye early in the season looked better than Taylor/Faye ever has, but that's not really the point)

I think Cacapa could do a decent job in a settled defence.  That injury he had that kept him out of the Man City game seemed to knacker him up and then when he played against Pompey he was carrying an injury and never recovered as all people remember now is that game.  It really annoys me when you see him on the Prems worst transfer lists.  You can tell the people that make them watch 1 maybe 2 games if you're lucky.

I agree man, with the exception of Portsmouth, Cacapa and Faye looked very solid together

Guest teepee

we need a minimum of three new first choice midfielders and a striker, no matter what formation we choose.

furthermore we need cover for rb, lb and maybe cb

i'm actually ok with our defence, the main weakness in that department imo being the midfield in front of them

We need 4 players to replace the ones I've highlighted from the team that played most of the games at the end of last season.  If we go back to 4-4-2 then N'Zogbia would be a replacement for one of them. 

Harper

Beye

Faye

Taylor

Enrique

Geremi

Butt

Barton

Owen

Viduka

Martins

I think your totally spot on here Mick.

We dont just need a central midfielder, we need a world class one. We need a player that playes with his heart and can get the rest with him.

We also need a class DMC(butt was good at the end of the campain, but he isnt getting any younger). With media saying Barton get an ultimatium and we are now planing to sack him, we also need a replacement for him. Thats 3 first team players, we also need backup players for these 3(Milner and N'zogbia might work).

We need a class big striker who isnt injury prone. If we can get Bafetemi Gomis for 10-15M, I say go for him. I think we also need a backup up front.

We need Backup players for both Beye and Enrique. We just lost Rozenahl to Lazio, so we need to get a replacement for him. 

When I think about it, we need a new team....

Hopefully, but if one gets injured (particular Big Faye) then the prospect of Taylor/Edgar or Taylor/Cacapa fills me with dread.

Again, that depends on how much protection they are given.

Not entirely sure about that, it's an easy get-out if you ask me. There will always be situations where the partnership has to stand up on its own and deal directly with threats.

Obviously the rest of the team can help out massively, but it doesn't completely relieve the burden on the two centre-halves, they still need to be good enough individually and as a partnership in order to deal with the threat.

See the difference between Woodgate playing and not playing back when the rest of the team was actually good, even just one top-class centre-half can be the difference between being also-rans and the genuine article. Neither Faye or Taylor are fit to lace Woodgate's boots, playing wise.

I suppose we'll see, but I would hope Keegan also realises the need for a quality centre-half this summer.

We need 4 players to replace the ones I've highlighted from the team that played most of the games at the end of last season.  If we go back to 4-4-2 then N'Zogbia would be a replacement for one of them. 

Harper

Beye

Faye

Taylor

Enrique

Geremi

Butt

Barton

Owen

Viduka

Martins

I think your totally spot on here Mick.

We dont just need a central midfielder, we need a world class one. We need a player that playes with his heart and can get the rest with him.

We also need a class DMC(butt was good at the end of the campain, but he isnt getting any younger). With media saying Barton get an ultimatium and we are now planing to sack him, we also need a replacement for him. Thats 3 first team players, we also need backup players for these 3(Milner and N'zogbia might work).

We need a class big striker who isnt injury prone. If we can get Bafetemi Gomis for 10-15M, I say go for him. I think we also need a backup up front.

We need Backup players for both Beye and Enrique. We just lost Rozenahl to Lazio, so we need to get a replacement for him. 

When I think about it, we need a new team....

Barton, Geremi, Butt are good enough backup surely?

Not entirely sure about that, it's an easy get-out if you ask me. There will always be situations where the partnership has to stand up on its own and deal directly with threats.

Obviously the rest of the team can help out massively, but it doesn't completely relieve the burden on the two centre-halves, they still need to be good enough individually and as a partnership in order to deal with the threat.

See the difference between Woodgate playing and not playing back when the rest of the team was actually good, even just one top-class centre-half can be the difference between being also-rans and the genuine article. Neither Faye or Taylor are fit to lace Woodgate's boots, playing wise.

I suppose we'll see, but I would hope Keegan also realises the need for a quality centre-half this summer.

I'd love to have a player as good as Woodgate was when here and fit but I don't think it's a priority.  Once Keegan got the players believing in themselves we were OK.  Most of the teams we played towards the end of the season were beatable but we showed against Spurs that when we are attacking teams our defenders can defend.  We also showed that we could defend in the first half against Chelsea.  We slackened off in the last game and a half when we seemed to go on holiday early but I don't think we would have done that if something was at stake.

I think we need an entire midfield who will need time to settle and work together, putting a defence beind that who have not worked together could cause us problems.

I'd love to have a player as good as Woodgate was when here and fit but I don't think it's a priority.  Once Keegan got the players believing in themselves we were OK.  Most of the teams we played towards the end of the season were beatable but we showed against Spurs that when we are attacking teams our defenders can defend.  We also showed that we could defend in the first half against Chelsea.  We slackened off in the last game and a half when we seemed to go on holiday early but I don't think we would have done that if something was at stake.

I think we need an entire midfield who will need time to settle and work together, putting a defence beind that who have not worked together could cause us problems.

Can't disagree with much there, but I will just say that I'm only advocating one change in the backline. You never know, one of Taylor/Faye might be injured in the pre-season, so it might not even be an issue. Neither of them are exactly bulletproof for central defenders.

We still need an experienced leader in the defence, ideally a British/Irish one who's been around the league a long time, and even if that doesn't happen, we still need to sign more defenders as we only have six on the books now.

EDIT: Also, if we start next season with an "entire midfield" I'd be completely shocked. I'm fairly certain if Butt stays fit then he's one of the first names on the teamsheet, even at his age. That part of your argument is hypothetical based on what you'd like to see.

Can't disagree with much there, but I will just say that I'm only advocating one change in the backline. You never know, one of Taylor/Faye might be injured in the pre-season, so it might not even be an issue. Neither of them are exactly bulletproof for central defenders.

We still need an experienced leader in the defence, ideally a British/Irish one who's been around the league a long time, and even if that doesn't happen, we still need to sign more defenders as we only have six on the books now.

EDIT: Also, if we start next season with an "entire midfield" I'd be completely shocked. I'm fairly certain if Butt stays fit then he's one of the first names on the teamsheet, even at his age. That part of your argument is hypothetical based on what you'd like to see.

I can't disagree with that either except to say that Butt being one of the first names on the teamsheet doesn't fill me with confidence at all.  His distribution is shocking at times, no point winning the ball if we're giving it straight back.  He did that far too often and I can only see the problem becoming worse, a bit like when Rob Lee was getting on and doing the same.  He might do better if he's got better players around him although I can't see that happening as you can just as easily find a bad player in space as you can find a good player in space.

I am saying what I would like to see happen, we all do that.   :lol:

I can't disagree with that either except to say that Butt being one of the first names on the teamsheet doesn't fill me with confidence at all.  His distribution is shocking at times, no point winning the ball if we're giving it straight back.  He did that far too often and I can only see the problem becoming worse, a bit like when Rob Lee was getting on and doing the same.  He might do better if he's got better players around him although I can't see that happening as you can just as easily find a bad player in space as you can find a good player in space.

I am saying what I would like to see happen, we all do that.  :lol:

Aye, but you can't argue against my point with a completely fabricated one based on the fact you want to see the whole midfield changed! That's bad cricket! "We can't buy a first-team centre-half because the whole midfield will be different."

I've never been a fan of Butt, although he's won me over more and more with his performances over the past couple of seasons (that winning goal down at "The Lane" helped tremendously), he's the one midfielder I wouldn't mind keeping his place, at least for next season. When he hasn't had the added burden of trying to "playmake" and do all of the stuff a defensive midfielder is supposed to do (because he was playing in a team of shite/who was bereft of confidence) he's looked very, very capable at his job.

If I had my way I'd still try and replace him, although I think KK will want to keep him in there (along with Owen and Faye) to give the team a solid spine of experienced players.

Aye, but you can't argue against my point with a completely fabricated one based on the fact you want to see the whole midfield changed! That's bad cricket! "We can't buy a first-team centre-half because the whole midfield will be different."

I've never been a fan of Butt, although he's won me over more and more with his performances over the past couple of seasons (that winning goal down at "The Lane" helped tremendously), he's the one midfielder I wouldn't mind keeping his place, at least for next season. When he hasn't had the added burden of trying to "playmake" and do all of the stuff a defensive midfielder is supposed to do (because he was playing in a team of s****/who was bereft of confidence) he's looked very, very capable at his job.

If I had my way I'd still try and replace him, although I think KK will want to keep him in there (along with Owen and Faye) to give the team a solid spine of experienced players.

I hope that quote in the first paragraph wasn't meant to be my quote, I don't remember saying "We can't buy a first-team centre-half because the whole midfield will be different."   :lol:

As for Butt, if he's playing and wins the ball, he'll then have to find one of our players and that's where he falls down far too often and I expect it will get worse with every season.

I've never been a fan of Butt, although he's won me over more and more with his performances over the past couple of seasons (that winning goal down at "The Lane" helped tremendously), he's the one midfielder I wouldn't mind keeping his place, at least for next season. When he hasn't had the added burden of trying to "playmake" and do all of the stuff a defensive midfielder is supposed to do (because he was playing in a team of s****/who was bereft of confidence) he's looked very, very capable at his job.

I hope that quote in the first paragraph wasn't meant to be my quote, I don't remember saying "We can't buy a first-team centre-half because the whole midfield will be different."  :lol:

As for Butt, if he's playing and wins the ball, he'll then have to find one of our players and that's where he falls down far too often and I expect it will get worse with every season.

Paraphrasing. Too many daft arguments with NE5 have got you quote-paranoid, man.

"I think we need an entire midfield who will need time to settle and work together, putting a defence beind that who have not worked together could cause us problems."

I've been as big a critic about Butt's passing as anyone on here, but it did show a marked improvement when he had options during the spell where Keegan got them playing again, I see no reason why that shouldn't continue. It's the dinked balls over the top to the opposition goalkeeper that kill me, but hopefully we'll see less and less of those if there's more movement/options for him in other areas of the park.

Paraphrasing. Too many daft arguments with NE5 have got you quote-paranoid, man.

"I think we need an entire midfield who will need time to settle and work together, putting a defence beind that who have not worked together could cause us problems."

I've been as big a critic about Butt's passing as anyone on here, but it did show a marked improvement when he had options during the spell where Keegan got them playing again, I see no reason why that shouldn't continue. It's the dinked balls over the top to the opposition goalkeeper that kill me, but hopefully we'll see less and less of those if there's more movement/options for him in other areas of the park.

I'll let you off with the quote.

Back to Butt, it wasn't just the balls over the top, it was also the passes that were meant for players in space to the side of Butt which went to the opposition players who were yards away from ours but ended up gaining possession and running in on our goal.  It happened fat too often throughout last season and I can only see it becoming more frequent.

I'll let you off with the quote.

Back to Butt, it wasn't just the balls over the top, it was also the passes that were meant for players in space to the side of Butt which went to the opposition players who were yards away from ours but ended up gaining possession and running in on our goal.  It happened fat too often throughout last season and I can only see it becoming more frequent.

I do know what passes you're talking about, he delivers some cracking hospital balls at times too.

But basically, you think it'll become more frequent, I think it will improve if the team is strengthened and we play as we did towards the end of the season, time will tell. I can't be arsed to dig the stats out for his passes/pass accuracy in the run we had that pushed us up the table, but I would expect them to be better, I could be wrong though, obviously.

Not as much as I want to bum you in the face. :smitten:

To be fair though, he looks like a right smug little twat in that picture.

He's just had a sip of Yakult man, it's made his day!