Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Guest neesy111

I was right then. Whinging idiot.

you're wrong. The club is going nowhere if they don't sign players to immediately improve the first team. If thats whinging, then you're soopa optimistic Dave, to the point of being completely blind I'm afraid.

ffs theres still 5 weeks to the season starts

there isn't many clubs that have signed 1 player yet alone 2

I think we have enough squaddies. We need someone with class on the ball. This has been mentioned throughout the whole of the last season. We've got enough hardworking players in the team. If we sign some class players, those hardworkers who were playing will be relegated to the bench anyway, and our squad will fill out. I hoped that we would sign someone who gets the pulse racing. Gutierrez - pacey, Argentine international and highly rated - is someone I'm excited about. This player - £2m, can't get in the Bolton team, the Bolton fans are glad they're not buying him, the Liverpool fans think he'll never start for them, mentioned as being slow - doesn't excite me.

I still hope that we will sign some better players. But like I said, I'm not excited about this signing.

And who is more suited to commenting on Guthrie? How about the fans of the team he played 30 games for last season?

I've never heard so much shite in one paragraph.

1) "Can't get in the Bolton team" followed by..... "played for them 30 time last season" the contradiction speaks for it's self.

2) "Bolton fans are glad they are not buying him"..... evidence please? Funny enough the Bolton board clearly were impressed enough to try and sign him permenantly.

3) "The Liverpool fans think he will never start for them" Very true but half the players in the league couldn't get a game for them with Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano in their midfield, therefore a rather irrelevant comment.

4) "We have enough squaddies" What the fuck is a squaddie? If your reffering to the size of our squad then it is nowhere near big enough. Personally i'd rather have good young players who still have hunger on the bench than players who's best days are behind them.

5) Excitement is irrelevent.

I'm saying nothing. Apisith is one of the people who take sense sometimes on here. Quite amazing people are defending the record in the transfer market of this club in the last year. Astonishing.

well spending buying luque and owen, made the team worse not better and that almost bankrupted us

we need some squad players and finally instead of going for overpaid past it players, getting determined hard working players not on 60k a week

the club can never when with you NE5 ffs

I'd prefer to talk about the likes of Robert, Bellamy, Shearer, Ferdinand, Hamman, Speed, Ginola to be honest if its OK

I think we have enough squaddies. We need someone with class on the ball. This has been mentioned throughout the whole of the last season. We've got enough hardworking players in the team. If we sign some class players, those hardworkers who were playing will be relegated to the bench anyway, and our squad will fill out. I hoped that we would sign someone who gets the pulse racing. Gutierrez - pacey, Argentine international and highly rated - is someone I'm excited about. This player - £2m, can't get in the Bolton team, the Bolton fans are glad they're not buying him, the Liverpool fans think he'll never start for them, mentioned as being slow - doesn't excite me.

I still hope that we will sign some better players. But like I said, I'm not excited about this signing.

And who is more suited to commenting on Guthrie? How about the fans of the team he played 30 games for last season?

1) "Can't get in the Bolton team" followed by..... "played for them 30 time last season" the contradiction speaks for it's self.

2) "Bolton fans are glad they are not buying him"..... evidence please? Funny enough the Bolton board clearly were impressed enough to try and sign him permenantly.

3) "The Liverpool fans think he will never start for them" Very true but half the players in the league couldn't get a game for them with Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano in their midfield, therefore a rather irrelevant comment.

4) "We have enough squaddies" What the fuck is a squaddie? If your reffering to the size of our squad then it is nowhere near big enough. Personally i'd rather have good young players who still have hunger on the bench than players who's best days are behind them.

Can't get in the Bolton team = 21 league starts for them. That's just over half the possible starts. Are you excited?

The total number of games includes coming on as a substitute, and of course playing in league cup games and fa cup games. The fact that he only started about half of their league games says a lot to me.

Am really really surprised by this. Guthrie didn't impress me at all. He came on the scene last season and looked very good, but he never had a good game from October to May. I really can't believe Newcastle have signed him.

Seen him play on a dozen occasions and I didn't really rate him, too much of a headless chicken and no end product.

True, the size of the squad isn't big enough. But if we fill it with average players, we'll have an average squad. I hope that we'll end up signing quality starters so that Geremi and Butt are relegated to the bench, and then we'll have a big enough squad and it'll have some quality. The odds are that Geremi and Butt will still be starting if we continue to sign these players. That's not good enough for us, even if our current state.

Excitement isn't irrelevant. I want to be excited about our team. I want to look forward to games. I want to see us play good football. If you're not excited about your own football team, about the future, then you may as well not support it. It shouldn't be a chore nor an obligation to support your own team.

I am excited about next season, but that's because of Kevin Keegan. I would be even more excited if we signed some players who have shown their class, but that's not to say that this boy won't come good. Just saying, he doesn't exactly get your pulses racing, does he?

21 games is not failing to get into a side when you 21 years of age.

You claim guthrie is average by the quotes you have used. Do you want me to quote the many posts by liverpool fans on RAWK that claim he's anything but?

In terms of excitement, i agree you need to be excited by you club and your team. However, sadly, i was talking about being excited by a signing... not the potential of the footballer playing for the club.

What excites me is that the club is willing to adopt a root of picking up highly rated youngsters instead or foreign pre-madonnas.

you're wrong. The club is going nowhere if they don't sign players to immediately improve the first team. If thats whinging, then you're soopa optimistic Dave, to the point of being completely blind I'm afraid.

there has been a lot of people done very little but whinge on for a few years. They weren't called whingers. I'm just calling the outlook of the club as has been shown me so far, and its not pretty.

Crouch went to pompey didn't he, and we "stood aside". What a Joke.

Guest neesy111

I'm saying nothing. Apisith is one of the people who take sense sometimes on here. Quite amazing people are defending the record in the transfer market of this club in the last year. Astonishing.

well spending buying luque and owen, made the team worse not better and that almost bankrupted us

we need some squad players and finally instead of going for overpaid past it players, getting determined hard working players not on 60k a week

I'd prefer to talk about the likes of Robert, Bellamy, Shearer, Ferdinand, Hamman, Speed, Ginola to be honest if its OK

get it to ur mind of ur's we can't compete like we did in 1995, living in the past

If at the end of the transfer window we've only signed Jonas and Guthrie, then I'll be upset. But, there is still plenty of time and we obviously have no idea who our club is looking at. Guthrie will be a decent enough squad player, and I'm sure that's what he's being brought in for. More signings will come. Patience.

I'll give him a chance but I expect little.

Of course, he will get his chance to prove himself like every new signing does. His price tag is irrelevant after he's signed because the only thing that will count is how he plays for us. However, generally, price tags tend to correlate with a player's ability. Like many people have said, £2m is peanuts these days. So is he a player that every team can find and afford? If so, not much to be excited about, yes?

get it to ur mind of ur's we can't compete like we did in 1995, living in the past

why not ?

Guest shaun11177

The position we are looking at is left central midfield, is this not the position Modric would have played in. We have certainly lowered our sights.

Of course, he will get his chance to prove himself like every new signing does. His price tag is irrelevant after he's signed because the only thing that will count is how he plays for us. However, generally, price tags tend to correlate with a player's ability. Like many people have said, £2m is peanuts these days. So is he a player that every team can find and afford? If so, not much to be excited about, yes?

Beye cost around 2m, is he average and unexciting?

Price sometimes is a good representation of value, not often.

Guest BigAl2

From what I saw of Guthrie last season he wants the ball and looks to link up the play.

Lets give the lad a chance,

It will be a hell of a thing if after signing these players it all comes together and we have a storming season. I wonder how those who are so convinced we will be crap will react then?

The same thing keeps being said over and over again with no one knowing what the plans for the upcoming season are and how it will all play out. Your pessimistic points have been made a million times over and we have all heard enough. Now it is time to sit tight and let things play out.

It is time we created a thread strictly for whinging about Ashley and the club so that those who are suicidal can inspire eacho ther there. I'm tired of opening every thread expecting some interesting news, only to find another repetitive post from Daetihs and his crew.

Enough!

why not ?

Because to do it that way we would need to spend 200m on transfers, which we do not have.

Guest neesy111

there has been a lot of people done very little but whinge on for a few years. They weren't called whingers. I'm just calling the outlook of the club as has been shown me so far, and its not pretty.

Crouch went to pompey didn't he, and we "stood aside". What a Joke.

well pompey are in europe for starters

2nd 11m is a lot for a striker who would be 3rd choice here

3rd he's been at pompey b4

the club is in a far better state now, than it was 14 months ago, we have a proper scouting system for the 1st time, have a youth system tht is working, lowering the wage bill, not leaking anything to the press

boom and bust would happen if u we're in charge

It will be a hell of a thing if after signing these players it all comes together and we have a storming season. I wonder how those who are so convinced we will be crap will react then?

The same thing keeps being said over and over again with no one knowing what the plans for the upcoming season are and how it will all play out. Your pessimistic points have been made a million times over and we have all heard enough. Now it is time to sit tight and let things play out.

It is time we created a thread strictly for whinging about Ashley and the club so that those who are suicidal can inspire eacho ther there. I'm tired of opening every thread expecting some interesting news, only to find another repetitive post from Daetihs and his crew.

Enough!

Fear not you are in the majority mate.

Age is irrelevant, mate. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

You claim guthrie is average by the quotes you have used. Do you want me to quote the many posts by liverpool fans on RAWK that claim he's anything but?

They haven't seen him for over a year. Those opinions have as much as weight as ours did after Milner returned from his year out at Villa. Bolton fans saw him for 30 games last season. I'd rather trust their judgment than Liverpool fans (who notoriously overrate their own players) who haven't seen him lately.

I'm not sure why you mentioned highly rated youngsters as being mutually exclusive from being a foreign prima donna. There's another thread developing on this forum about our very own highly rated youngster who's also a foreign prima donna.

Where were you when we signed Gutierrez, NE5?

At a quick guess you were keeping quiet until it came out we'd not paid £10m for him.

Do you honestly believe this is the end of our summer activity?

Age is irrelevant, mate. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

They haven't seen him for over a year. Those opinions have as much as weight as ours did after Milner returned from his year out at Villa. Bolton fans saw him for 30 games last season. I'd rather trust their judgment than Liverpool fans (who notoriously overrate their own players) who haven't seen him lately.

I'm not sure why you mentioned highly rated youngsters as being mutually exclusive from being a foreign prima donna. There's another thread developing on this forum about our very own highly rated youngster who's also a foreign prima donna.

OK i concede that N'Zogbia falls into that bracket. However, i'm pleased that the club is going down this route, even if Guthrie doesn't work.

Beye cost around 2m, is he average and unexciting?

Price sometimes is a good representation of value, not often.

Can't compare the two signings. Massive age difference, massive difference in experience and also the fact that Beye was a captain of a decent team in another league while Guthrie was a bit-part player for a team who nearly got relegated last season. Massive, massive difference.

Youngsters also generally tend to fetch a higher price because they've got a lot left in their tank/can be sold off/have time to develop. Beye and Guthrie isn't a good comparison because when we signed Beye, we had no one at right back. Beye's also about 10 years older, so of course his price would be lower than if he were 21. If Guthrie was highly rated, then his price tag would be much higher for a 21 year old English attacking midfielder.

I also think we've got enough average slow-but-good-on-the-ball midfielders.

Edit - this is a really jumbled post. But let's not bicker. I'm still feeling 'meh' about this, but of course I'm still hoping that we sign some real classy players in this window.