Danny Guthrie signed from Liverpool on 4 year deal

Guest Redcar Mag

Liverpool bought a goalkeeper for £3m today. Why?

oh dear.

They've also sold a young player, presumably with great potential, why ?

What has Dennis Wise seen in him that they haven't ?

oh dear.

Explain why they felt they needed a £3m goalkeeper please.

Where were you when we signed Gutierrez, NE5?

At a quick guess you were keeping quiet until it came out we'd not paid £10m for him.

Do you honestly believe this is the end of our summer activity?

I don't know where you get this idea that I don't want the club to sign good players Dave. Having watched the club buy mostly shit players, bargains, cheap squad players and fuelling false optimism among supporters, for 30 years, i reckon I know more than most about going down that particular road.

This argie may be good, he fills a position we need. Keegan will do a good job, but at the moment my instinct is he will do a good job in spite of the restrictions placed on him, and won't get anywhere near what he did the first time, which is a bit of a damning indictment that you can try and defend if you like.

I asked two simple questions.

no, it probably isn't. We will be in shit street if it is. But its quality that counts, and won't get anywhere if they aren't quality.

Do you think Ashley will match what came before, with the same manager .

You would be using fallacious logic if you merely judged the board on how they do with KK in comparison with how the old board did with KK when he was here last. It's a different footballing world now. Times have changed. If he gets us back in the top 4 and maybe win a trophy, I'd say he, and the board, would have matched the accomplishments from 10 years ago.

I will agree with that. Keegan doesnt' seem to agree though, and he should know.

My God there are some right moaning cunts about, last time I checked our squad was thread bare, aye that's right the squad, so we need bodies, I'm not complaining about this signing one bit as we need to fill up the squad. Then again the reactions of a lot of people seem to opitimise what is wrong with the our fans, if you aren't happy with it, go and fuck off as far as I'm concerned, I'm sick to death of moaning cunts surrounding my club, sick to death of it. Wait until the end of the window first eh?

oh dear.

I've no idea, do you ?

Guest neesy111

Where were you when we signed Gutierrez, NE5?

At a quick guess you were keeping quiet until it came out we'd not paid £10m for him.

Do you honestly believe this is the end of our summer activity?

I don't know where you get this idea that I don't want the club to sign good players Dave. Having watched the club buy mostly shit players, bargains, cheap squad players and fuelling false optimism among supporters, for 30 years, i reckon I know more than most about going down that particular road.

This argie may be good, he fills a position we need. Keegan will do a good job, but at the moment my instinct is he will do a good job in spite of the restrictions placed on him, and won't get anywhere near what he did the first time, which is a bit of a damning indictment that you can try and defend if you like.

I asked two simple questions.

no, it probably isn't. We will be in shit street if it is. But its quality that counts, and won't get anywhere if they aren't quality.

Do you think Ashley will match what came before, with the same manager .

Thank you. By default then you admit then that your whinging is premature.

No, I don't think Keegan will finish second this time. I don't think he would if the previous board were here now either. If you can't see the differences between top level football in 1995 and 2008 then I suggest you visit your doctor immediately.

And the difference is what exactly ?

Its all about beating the opposition, just like any other time. If you can't even aim for the top positions, then they aren't doing the club justice

we have 5 weeks to get players ffs, i still expect 4 players to come, we've had 2 in 10 days now, and i expect another 1 on monday as well

tbf we have a good enough squad now, that run last season proved it, now we just need to add to it

only spurs have really strengthed their squad this season, west ham need to lose players not add to them, pompey i feel will struggle next season, same with man city, blackburn will also

i think that we'll suprise a lot of fans on here, and they will still MOAN ffs

oh dear.

I've no idea, do you ?

I reckon they identified a hole in their squad that they could fill with a decent player for not much money. Logical stuff, no?

Going by your posts in this thread, they should have gone for Cech.

My God there are some right moaning c***s about, last time I checked our squad was thread bare, aye that's right the squad, so we need bodies, I'm not complaining about this signing one bit as we need to fill up the squad. Then again the reactions of a lot of people seem to opitimise what is wrong with the our fans, if you aren't happy with it, go and f*** off as far as I'm concerned, I'm sick to death of moaning c***s surrounding my club, sick to death of it. Wait until the end of the window first eh?

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 to the max!!!!!

My God there are some right moaning cunts about, last time I checked our squad was thread bare, aye that's right the squad, so we need bodies, I'm not complaining about this signing one bit as we need to fill up the squad. Then again the reactions of a lot of people seem to opitimise what is wrong with the our fans, if you aren't happy with it, go and fuck off as far as I'm concerned, I'm sick to death of moaning cunts surrounding my club, sick to death of it. Wait until the end of the window first eh?

howay man tooj, that was the idea last summer, and where did it get us ?

oh dear.

I've no idea, do you ?

I reckon they identified a hole in their squad that they could fill with a decent player for not much money. Logical stuff, no?

The difference being they already have a top class keeper ?

Guest neesy111

totally agree, this is why we are viewed with such negativity some fan's are still living on the Entertainers ffs.  I wonder where these fan's we're 1990??

oh dear.

I've no idea, do you ?

The difference being they already have a top class keeper ?

And you've said yourself you don't think we've finished our summer dealings yet.

If the window closes and Guthrie is the best midfielder we have, complain then. I'll fucking join you.

We need first team players and squad players though mate, I like you currently am not convinced by Ashley etc at all, they certainly have a lot to prove, especially by matching the ambition of the old board, ideally by now we'd have a couple of first team players ready to walk into the team, but we don't, I'm apprehensive to say the least, but all I can do is hope that we bring these players in, as if we don't Keegan will be off, no doubt about it, and then it'll be very difficult for them to come back from that. As Keegan to me and many others will always come above Ashley and co.

Iirc at the end of the last window btw most were happy with the business that was done.

Iirc at the end of the last window btw most were happy with the business that was done.

You do recall correctly.

IIRC the likes of NE5 were nowhere to be seen. Strange, that.

Basically, we should look at Guthrie's signing as a prudent move to strengthen our squad with a young player for little money and not as an indictment of our club's ambitions.

I suggest that all the compulsive complainers stop reading the papers until the season starts and see who we have on our team at that point.

Guest neesy111

Basically, we should look at Guthrie's signing as a prudent move to strengthen our squad with a young player for little money and not as an indictment of our club's ambitions.

I suggest that all the compulsive complainers stop reading the papers until the season starts and see who we have on our team at that point.

see again we kept this one under the papers again, not 1 this morning had us to sign him, looking more at Seb Larsson and Inler to sign

so the point is, no1 knws who we are signing and when they will sign GOOD

You do recall correctly.

IIRC the likes of NE5 were nowhere to be seen. Strange, that.

Apart from when I said I wasn't impressed ?

Guest mandakin

Liverpool Fan here: Danny Guthrie is a decent player. I am not saying he will develop into a Michael Essien or anything. But he will be a good player to have in your squad. He has a good attitude, he is a neat and clean passer, comfortable in possession. Let me put it this way : Almost all the coaches who have worked with him are sure that he will have a career in the premier league.

Only reason liverpool have sold him is that he faces competition from Steven Gerrard, Mascher, Alonso( or Barry) and Lucas Leiva all of whom are better than him. Moreover couple of other lads from the academy are showing good potential: Plessis and Spearing. Plessis started against Arsenal away last season and was very good.

Another piece of info from some of the "reported insiders" on Liverpool boards. Our academy and youth team has been doing very well in the last 2 years: 2 youth fa cup win and the reserves league winner last year. Keegan has been enquiring about young players from our academy for the last 6 months. There was a report in the liverpool echo about him asking about emiliano insua ( an argentinian LB - our most promising player) which was rebuffed. I would not be surprised if a couple of more lads made the move.

All the best for the new season  :thup: and hope the keegan era brings you the success you crave.

We've always bought squad players because teams need squad players - some clubs have the academies to get their squad players from there (Arsenal, Liverpool, even Middlesbrough), unfortunately we don't so it's sensible to go for young talent at other clubs who are good enough to come into the team and do a job in case of an injury rather than a foreigner who may not settle or an old hand whose legs have gone. This is even more important now we have seven subs - it was only two or three seasons ago we started a Premiership game with a 4 man bench because we couldn't fill it.

For the record, Shepherd oversaw the arrival of Kevin Gallacher, Diego Gavilan, Daniel Cordone, Lomana Lua Lua, Clarence Acuna, Wayne Quinn, Andy O'Brien, Darren Ambrose... that's just a few under Sir Bobby, I could go on and on and on. All had varying degrees of success and all were squad padding. But Shepherd only ever signed superstars didn't he?

The time to judge the merits of this signing is the 31st August. Until then, it's ridiculous to do so either way. Good luck to the lad, that's all I can say.

Bleh, signing's a signing. From his first stint here I think it's fair to say KK had a pretty good eye for players, and whoever mentioned Rob Lee could be an interesting comparison. We've now got a tight, hard working scouting unit and they've obviously seen something they liked about him. I'll go out on a limb and say he's better than Alan Smith and less likely to miss games due to being in jail than Joey Barton, ergo for the minute it's a squad improvement. I'll give him my full backing when he's on the pitch for us next year.

I think it is the opinions of Liverpool fans we should be paying most attention to here (they almost unanamously say he's a decent purchase) rather than Bolton fans who seem a bit bitter (didn't they think twice about putting in a bid because he was nailed on to come here?).  Give the lad a chance - this is another decent prospect for the squad in a postion where we desperately need it.  I'd go along with the sentiment that I'd be fuming if he was the last midfielder that we signed this window but is a promising addition.

We need first team players and squad players though mate, I like you currently am not convinced by Ashley etc at all, they certainly have a lot to prove, especially by matching the ambition of the old board, ideally by now we'd have a couple of first team players ready to walk into the team, but we don't, I'm apprehensive to say the least, but all I can do is hope that we bring these players in, as if we don't Keegan will be off, no doubt about it, and then it'll be very difficult for them to come back from that. As Keegan to me and many others will always come above Ashley and co.

thats fair enough, and I agree.

As there has been people on here literally moaning for years though, is it only moaning when you don't agree ? Thats not just aimed at you, particularly as you have just replied as above.

There is a difference between criticising, being unhappy and moaning. If the club reach out and buy someone like Bentley or Arshavin, I won't be criticising them for that and how could you ?

Liverpool Fan here: Danny Guthrie is a decent player. I am not saying he will develop into a Michael Essien or anything. But he will be a good player to have in your squad. He has a good attitude, he is a neat and clean passer, comfortable in possession. Let me put it this way : Almost all the coaches who have worked with him are sure that he will have a career in the premier league.

Only reason liverpool have sold him is that he faces competition from Steven Gerrard, Mascher, Alonso( or Barry) and Lucas Leiva all of whom are better than him. Moreover couple of other lads from the academy are showing good potential: Plessis and Spearing. Plessis started against Arsenal away last season and was very good.

Another piece of info from some of the "reported insiders" on Liverpool boards. Our academy and youth team has been doing very well in the last 2 years: 2 youth fa cup win and the reserves league winner last year. Keegan has been enquiring about young players from our academy for the last 6 months. There was a report in the liverpool echo about him asking about emiliano insua ( an argentinian LB - our most promising player) which was rebuffed. I would not be surprised if a couple of more lads made the move.

All the best for the new season  :thup: and hope the keegan era brings you the success you crave.

A breath of fresh air amongst the foul odour of discontent.

Thanks for providing us with some useful and insightful info my friend. Good to hear from you.

We look forward to having him here as a member of our squad. We are hoping he makes a good contribution and maybe even pushes on to become something more.

:thup:

Bleh, signing's a signing. From his first stint here I think it's fair to say KK had a pretty good eye for players, and whoever mentioned Rob Lee could be an interesting comparison. We've now got a tight, hard working scouting unit and they've obviously seen something they liked about him. I'll go out on a limb and say he's better than Alan Smith and less likely to miss games due to being in jail than Joey Barton, ergo for the minute it's a squad improvement. I'll give him my full backing when he's on the pitch for us next year.

nobody is saying they won't support the lad when he plays mate