Should Taylor and Milner still be playing for the U21s?

James
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When both players stop becoming eligible to play for the U21s, they'll be 23 years old.

Am I imagining a time when only players aged 21 or under played for England U21.

I suppose Stuart Pearce has a good argument for their inclusion, for they are experienced players and amongst the best in their position in their category.

What is in it for Milner and Taylor? Their only chance to play for England? Their only chance to captain their country? A chance to break records. I highly doubt they are getting any great benefit from playing with or against better or more experienced players. I doubt Stuart Pearce can give them anything Keegan can't. They shouldn't be there as 'coaches' for younger players at other clubs, they are NUFC employees.

I think Mr. Capello has made it clear that playing for your clubs is going to be of more worth than U21 fixtures when it comes to getting in the England squad.

James Milner is on record of saying he needed a break this summer after the U21s making it two seasons non-stop for him. The same must have applied for Taylor. Yet they are still turning up for duty without complaint. David Bentley showed it was possible to stop playing for the U21s and concentrate on playing for their clubs. With the bile aimed at Owen and Emre when they are on international duty, I'm surprised Taylor and Owen don't get it when they are playing for a lesser cause.

Well if they proceed with the U21s and continue to play for us, they will be getting more bile from me this season. They can take it now, they are grown men.

Jose Enrique and Charles N'Zogbia can also fall under this debate, but I can see more mitigating factors for them:

They weren't in the last championships

They have played a lot less games, and therefore have learnt less from the experience

Chance to go home

Chance to play with players from different leagues

Chance for a brief residential at a country using different training practices.

Chance to promote NUFC abroad.

I think the club manager should have the final on whether 22 or 23 year olds continue to play for the U21s.

Guest Heneage

You do a "Campaign" like the army in a way. So you start at 20 and start the qualifying for the beirns championships, like WC and EC, thats how it works. They should have been given a chance tbh.

You do a "Campaign" like the army in a way. So you start at 20 and start the qualifying for the beirns championships, like WC and EC, thats how it works. They should have been given a chance tbh.

Enrique and N'Zogbia perhaps, but Taylor and Milner have done it once before. What benefit are they going to get from doing it again?

Guest Heneage

Where did I say they should do a second one? I said they should have been given a provisional cap for the full side.

which could read as, chance to tap up young players hehehe  ;)

like the tales of fergie sending g. neville to the england get togethers with united shirts with 'carrick' and 'hargreaves' on,

which could read as, chance to tap up young players hehehe  ;)

like the tales of fergie sending g. neville to the england get togethers with united shirts with 'carrick' and 'hargreaves' on,

Exactly ;) Plus it is a different experience training with more technical players.

6 yes votes, but no-one has posted to say why?

When both players stop becoming eligible to play for the U21s, they'll be 23 years old.

Am I imagining a time when only players aged 21 or under played for England U21.

I suppose Stuart Pearce has a good argument for their inclusion, for they are experienced players and amongst the best in their position in their category.

What is in it for Milner and Taylor? Their only chance to play for England? Their only chance to captain their country? A chance to break records. I highly doubt they are getting any great benefit from playing with or against better or more experienced players. I doubt Stuart Pearce can give them anything Keegan can't. They shouldn't be there as 'coaches' for younger players at other clubs, they are NUFC employees.

I think Mr. Capello has made it clear that playing for your clubs is going to be of more worth than U21 fixtures when it comes to getting in the England squad.

James Milner is on record of saying he needed a break this summer after the U21s making it two seasons non-stop for him. The same must have applied for Taylor. Yet they are still turning up for duty without complaint. David Bentley showed it was possible to stop playing for the U21s and concentrate on playing for their clubs. With the bile aimed at Owen and Emre when they are on international duty, I'm surprised Taylor and Owen don't get it when they are playing for a lesser cause.

Well if they proceed with the U21s and continue to play for us, they will be getting more bile from me this season. They can take it now, they are grown men.

:rolleyes:

Ignore the attempt at irony in the final line. What benefit is there from having Taylor and Milner playing so many games for the U21s?

Ignore the attempt at irony in the final line. What benefit is there from having Taylor and Milner playing so many games for the U21s?

For the U21's to qualify for Tournaments and for others around them to learn off their experiences. It benefits the players in questions boosting their responsibility and leadership skills.

For the U21's to qualify for Tournaments and for others around them to learn off their experiences. It benefits the players in questions boosting their responsibility and leadership skills.

I think they have sapped all the experience they can get from it in the 50+ caps the pair share, while they both played in the last tournament. Plus allowing them to use their leadership skills is just going to benefit young players from other teams. If they want to practice leadership skills, play for the reserves instead.

They'd give much more to their employers by taking a break during the international breaks. Too many youngsters play too many games early in their careers and burn out.