Ashley looking for investors, not buyers

Guest Daishi

Guest Daishi

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_3801897,00.html

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has rejected reports that he is set to sell the Premier League club.

Reports late last week suggested Newcastle had held informal discussions with American private equity firm InterMedia Partners over the sale of the club; however those reports were denied.

Fresh speculation then emerged claiming that a construction company owned by the family of Osama bin Laden were considering a bid, but the claims were rebuffed by both parties.

And, in a bid to end the recent speculation, Ashley has insisted he has no plans to sell the Magpies.

He told the Evening Standard: "That (the rumour of a sale) is not true."

Ashley did admit that he is seeking investors, adding: "I would say that I am keen to have partners in Newcastle. That's a very expensive seat I sit in."

On the link with The Saudi Binladen Group (SBG), Ashley said: "I think I'll start with people from Newcastle, not in some cave in Afghanistan."

SBG, whose chief executive is Osama's half-brother, Bakr bin Laden, and was founded by their father, Sheikh Mohammed bin Laden, have long-since severed all ties with their infamous relative.

"people from Newcastle, not some cave in afghanistan"? 

sounds a bit of a dodgy quote to me!

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has rejected reports that he is set to sell the Premier League club.

Reports late last week suggested Newcastle had held informal discussions with American private equity firm InterMedia Partners over the sale of the club; however those reports were denied.

Fresh speculation then emerged claiming that a construction company owned by the family of Osama bin Laden were considering a bid, but the claims were rebuffed by both parties.

And, in a bid to end the recent speculation, Ashley has insisted he has no plans to sell the Magpies.

Ashley did admit that he is seeking investors, adding: "I would say that I am keen to have partners in Newcastle. That's a very expensive seat I sit in."

On the link with The Saudi Binladen Group (SBG), Ashley said: "I think I'll start with people from Newcastle, not in some cave in Afghanistan."

SBG, whose chief executive is Osama's half-brother, Bakr bin Laden, and was founded by their father, Sheikh Mohammed bin Laden, have long-since severed all ties with their infamous relative.

Why would Ashley tell a local paper in the London area anything?

If he was going to talk to a local paper it would be the "Newcastle Evening Chronicle" not the jellied-eeels "London Evening Standard"

Grief!!!

If he was going to talk to a local paper it would be the "Newcastle Evening Chronicle" not the jellied-eeels "London Evening Standard"

Grief!!!

it was part of a wider thing to do with sports worlds results.

on that note i understand his holding is up to 72%

Grief!!!

But, why would he speak to a L O C A L evening rag in London??

Guest icemanblue

Grief!!!

His company is based in London. He lives in London.

Just a thought.

Grief!!!

Just a thought.

Plus who in their right mind would want to talk to Oliver

Grief!!!

may be a syndicated article as it's also reported with quotes in the telegraph.

Grief!!!

Just a thought.

I agree about Oliver!!  BUT, if he wants to talk to a LOCAL paper (about Newcastle United) he would not talk to a local from way down there.  He would talk to the nationals, or to a local here in Newcastle.

Some people (who quote from it) do not realise that the Jellied Eeels Standard, is a LOCAL RAG (because it is based down there!!) . . . .

The papers wouldn't be all up in his shit if he managed expectations a bit more. He really needs to get positive spin out there and people working every day to manage our media footprint.

Grief!!!

Just a thought.

I agree about Oliver!!  BUT, if he wants to talk to a LOCAL paper (about Newcastle United) he would not talk to a local from way down there.  He would talk to the nationals, or to a local here in Newcastle.

Some people (who quote from it) do not realise that the Jellied Eeels Standard, is a LOCAL RAG (because it is based down there!!) . . . .

It might be "local" but it has a massive readership, including people who work in the city which makes it an ideal place to talk about the Sports Direct stuff. Also as mentioned before these quotes haven't just been given to the Standard they are on the websites of a few broadsheet papers.

Compared to the Ronnie, the Standard is a major newspaper.

Having lived in Cockneyland for many (many) years - I am aware that it is an even worse local than the Chronicle.  A "major" newspaper - oh for goodness sake!!!!

Having lived in Cockneyland for many (many) years - I am aware that it is an even worse local than the Chronicle.  A "major" newspaper - oh for goodness sake!!!!

Didn't mean "good" - I meant widely read.

(By more people who count in the context of his business)

Didn't mean "good" - I meant widely read.

(By more people who count in the context of his business)

Yup.