Keegans warns board about lack of depth Harsh Winter Warning

Guest microbar

Guest microbar

Kevin Keegan wants "four quality signings" before the season begins and has warned Newcastle United's board that his current squad is ill equipped to withstand the rigours of Premier League combat. "Ideally I'd like about 20 new players," the manager joked after watching a renascent Damien Duff register a hat-trick during Saturday's deconstruction of Hartlepool. "Seriously,  about four quality players in the right positions."

Should Dennis Wise and his cohorts in the club's recruitment department fail to deliver this quartet, Keegan envisages a harsh winter. "You just cannot go into the Premier League with the small squad we've got. There have definitely got to be some more signings in the pipeline; we only had 12 senior outfield players here."

Absentees included Michael Owen, whose sore calf did not seem to concern his manager unduly, and Jonás Gutiérrez, the first of two signings this summer. The Argentinian winger is yet to be formally recognised as a Newcastle player because of a contract dispute with Real Mallorca but Keegan expects a resolution today.

At least Newcastle fans had a chance to watch Danny Guthrie in midfield action. A second-half substitute, the £1m buy from Liverpool made one goal and scored one. Enthusing about the former Bolton loanee's passing and ball retention, Keegan hailed him as a "real Liverpool player".

Even more encouragingly, the "real" Duff appeared to be strutting his stuff. Glenn Roeder, the Newcastle manager who brought him to Tyneside from Chelsea two years ago, constantly deflected questions about the poverty of the Ireland winger's performances by insisting: "Form is temporary but class is permanent."

Here that class finally began to reassert itself as Duff, alternating between the right and left, dusted down his repertoire of defence-confounding tricks before bewitching spectators and bewildering Hartlepool in equal measure. "I think we've got to draw a line under what's gone before with Damien," said Keegan. "The lad's never had a pre-season in three years but he's worked so hard this summer. After 80 minutes it looked like he had a turbo-charger in him. He's back to the weight he was at 18; I think you'll see a different Damien Duff this season."

The one area where Keegan's squad is reasonably well stocked is on the wings, with Duff, Gutiérrez, James Milner, Charles N'Zogbia and Geremi competing for places; But in the full-back, centre-back and central midfield areas, skilled personnel remain alarmingly thin on the ground. "We haven't got competition everywhere; we need to address that," said Keegan.

Man of the match Damien Duff (Newcastle United)

On a serious note, I don't think anyone should be doubting that the club know exactly what we need.  Whether or not we get them, or KK has the financial clout to do it remains to be seen.

At least the right things are being said.  Time to ignore the press and all the speculation and see what unfolds.  One thing for sure, I am sure Keegan will be getting alot more out of the current squad than the last three managed (I know it was only one game, but look at Duff for example).  With a few new faces, we will be a much stronger proposition.

Guest sicko2ndbest

I will reserve my judgement until 31 august. I am glad we are not signing will nilly, average players just to appease. The market IS going to open up soon, and we just need to start the ground work early. My take on the situation is:

- Wise and co do the ground work on the deal in terms of tapping up and financial packages

- Bring in Keegan to seal the deal. By the way i think that if a transfer is imminent the notion that Keegan wouldnt meet the player is farcical

Keep the faith

Guest sicko2ndbest

On the basis of that press report alone, I've just decided that I'm going to lay a £500 bet on us getting relegated this year. :rolleyes:

I think the bottom 3 are nailed on this year Stoke, WBA and Hull

KK is quite correct - any shortfall in the number of quality players being recruited WILL result in a long hard season, probably not much better - if at all - than the last one.

KK is a great motivator, but he cannot make silk purses from sows' ears. The squad is paper-thin and even at its full strength, the  current first team is light years behind about 7 other clubs'.

As others have said, we can do nothing but await developments by 31 August, when we will be in a better position to ascertain how the new season will develop.

I hate how we could once again be in the position where 1 injury i.e. Owen could really fuck us up. The problem now for me is, although there are about 6 weeks left in the window, we could very easily not sign anywhere near the amount we need, what with some transfers supposedly going tits up. Cant wait until September 1st so we all know where our club stands.

Guest optimistic nit

Hull and Stoke will really struggle to score goals, WBA to finish 3rd bottom.

i think fulham will finish below wba. sunderland may have a hard second season as well, i think wigan will do enough to stay up though, as will middlesbrough.

Guest Brazilianbob

I'd like to think KK can come up with another Malcolm Allen type signing up front.  We paid peanuts for him but he was a great buy.  A real pity injury cut short his career.

I keep hearing we are desperate for a couple of defenders and a playmaker, but IMO, we need a mobile target man as well. The chances of Viduka being fit for most of the season are nil.

I keep hearing we are desperate for a couple of defenders and a playmaker, but IMO, we need a mobile target man as well. The chances of Viduka being fit for most of the season are nil.

we've got one, he's called alan smith...mobile as they come and will run all day

he's just shit :lol:

Bollocks, the mackems more in hope than anything.

There is no way we will go into the season after the transfer window closure with this team.  We will get new players.

Guest loonietoonie

Bollocks, the mackems more in hope than anything.

There is no way we will go into the season after the transfer window closure with this team.  We will get new players.

Yep there is no chance we will start the season with this squad we need new additions and you heard Keegan say that don't believe them lot!

On the basis of that press report alone, I've just decided that I'm going to lay a £500 bet on us getting relegated this year. :rolleyes:

I think the bottom 3 are nailed on this year Stoke, WBA and Hull

I'm predicting WBA to do well, above 15th anyway.

Quite a bold ITK post to make, bearing in mind that it's pretty easy to prove wrong when we make another signing.  I'm sure a mag with an account over there will bump the thread if/when we bring someone else in.

What a load of bollocks. If he was gonna shout it why didnt he just come out with it to the media.

Could imagine all the players being happy hearing that like.

There will be at least 2 more I reckon. No doubt. He knows there is no choice and while things might not be looking so rosy at the moment one signing can change it all.

I as many others don't know what to believe anymore. There has been a lot of shit in the press and the term no smoke without fire makes you think there is something in it. On the other hand the club have not been speaking to the press at all. The press have relied on each other for made up stories and have rehashed every quote.  That has started a load of chinese whispers. For instance if we could not match 18,000 for aimar then why did we offer taylor 30,000. And if there is no cash then why did we bid 16mil for modric. It makes no sense.