Keegan on transfers

Guest hindu times

Guest hindu times

Watching his Newcastle World interview that was filmed yesterday prior to the shirt launch, regarding transfers he said:

- he isn't expecting any news imminentely.

- working very hard behind the scenes.

- not just our club - lots of clubs are struggling to tie players down.

- doesn't know how long before a breakthrough, could be a week, ten days, or they could come just before the start of the season.

- emphasises that everyone's working hard and it's just a case of being patient.

Guest elbee909

I bet agents bloody love transfer windows.  Bring back being able to transfer whenever you like, I say, would stop all this nonsense. :tickedoff:

Looks like it's going to be the team we have now going into the August games then. Just as well they're all games we would or wouldn't expect to win anyway.

it's not very encouraging that there's nothing imminent.

only 3 clubs have spent as little as us - Blackburn, Everton & Man Utd.

Man Utd are the best team in europe so it's a totally different scenario, also taking into account the fact they're currently negotiating on some very big deals.

Blackburn lost their manager unexpectedly this summer and have just appointed someone with very little experience, they may also overtake us once the Robinson transfer is finalised.

so that just leaves us and Everton as the sides who don't really have any excuse.

the excuse that no clubs have done any significant business is no longer true. still, there's a lot of time and im sure we'll get some bodies in before the deadline, though it is disappointing to not have all the transfer biz tied up before pre-season training (or perhaps the start of the season) and i'm not sure the signings we do get will be what we hoped for a few months back.

Just as well they're all games we would or wouldn't expect to win anyway.

Surely all games fall into these 2 categories? Or do we have games we expect to draw coming up after August?

Man Utd are the best team in europe so it's a totally different scenario, also taking into account the fact they're currently negotiating on some very big deals.

Blackburn lost their manager unexpectedly this summer and have just appointed someone with very little experience, they may also overtake us once the Robinson transfer is finalised.

so that just leaves us and Everton as the sides who don't really have any excuse.

the excuse that no clubs have done any significant business is no longer true. still, there's a lot of time and im sure we'll get some bodies in before the deadline, though it is disappointing to not have all the transfer biz tied up before pre-season training (or perhaps the start of the season) and i'm not sure the signings we do get will be what we hoped for a few months back.

It's got nothing to do with whether you've spent much. It's more to do with whether you've improved your team.

You could argue that the only people we've got shot of wouldn't have played anyway, and therefore we've improved our team (not squad).

Spot on. We could have quite easily gone out and signed five or six players, but if they're all worse than the players we've already got - what's the point?

And think back to this time last season, we got quite a few players in - but how many of those do you now regret the club signing?

It's got nothing to do with whether you've spent much. It's more to do with whether you've improved your team.

You could argue that the only people we've got shot of wouldn't have played anyway, and therefore we've improved our team (not squad).

Spot on. We could have quite easily gone out and signed five or six players, but if they're all worse than the players we've already got - what's the point?

And think back to this time last season, we got quite a few players in - but how many of those do you now regret the club signing?

i trust keegan when it comes to judging new players so i wouldn't have a problem had he brought in 5 or 6 players by this point. in fact it would be far more desirable had this been the case. if anything i'd say the chances of bringing in 2nd or 3rd choices, or making a panic signing INCREASES the longer we go without significant activity, and the closer the deadline draws.

I am not surprised KK is saying that I mean he has to be gutted when Aimar is signing on for 18K per week at Benfica & Anton has knocked us back before we have put an official bid in & they are the ones we know about. For all we know Leadbitter may have turned us down :yikes:

Looks like it's going to be the team we have now going into the August games then. Just as well they're all games we would or wouldn't expect to win anyway.

no, no, no, no...just because we don't know anything is going on behind the scenes doesn't mean it isn't, don't you know?

we could have two more players like guthrie and spiderman here in a flash  :pow:

i trust keegan when it comes to judging new players so i wouldn't have a problem had he brought in 5 or 6 players by this point. in fact it would be far more desirable had this been the case. if anything i'd say the chances of bringing in 2nd or 3rd choices, or making a panic signing INCREASES the longer we go without significant activity, and the closer the deadline draws.

In some cases, your first choice players won't be available until later in the window.

beye and faye being good examples last summer i guess - assuming they were first choices (don't think faye was, probably 2nd after ben haim)

In some cases, your first choice players won't be available until later in the window.

beye and faye being good examples last summer i guess - assuming they were first choices (don't think faye was, probably 2nd after ben haim)

neither of them were first choices (doesnt neccessairly mean they are bad players tho).

Guest elpapi

Well knowing the Gutierrez transfer was agreed a long time ago but kept quiet, it seems Guthrie is the only transfer that was accomplished with success in the past months... I can't believe the last time KK said that something was to be achieved in the next 10 days, he was referring to the transfer of Guthrie  :nope: I'm sure we have some bids on the table but the targets or clubs are waiting for better clubs to enter the hunt (Arda? Gomis? Inler? other yet unknowns)

Can't say i'm overly worried but not feeling too optimistic at the moment with the current squad in place, we're desperately in need of a CB, LB, AM and ST (Martins mother's death who he was very close with can have the same effect as N'zogbia's father's death I'm afraid...)

I am not surprised KK is saying that I mean he has to be gutted when Aimar is signing on for 18K per week at Benfica & Anton has knocked us back before we have put an official bid in & they are the ones we know about. For all we know Leadbitter may have turned us down :yikes:

Are you serious? Do you honestly believe Aimar is on 18K per week?

Yes. I haven't read of any other figures to say otherwise as of yet. He is in Portugal the nation is a footballing exporter. Most of there national team play abroad because there is not much coin in Portuguese football.

neither of them were first choices (doesnt neccessairly mean they are bad players tho).

who was fat sams first choice RB then?

we were after Sagna originally but that was not an option once arsenal made a bid, and apparently we were after hutton but couldnt afford him, so beye it was right at the stroke of midnight!

obviously for faye it was highly publicised that we went for distan and ben haim but they got better offers.

Well knowing the Gutierrez transfer was agreed a long time ago but kept quiet, it seems Guthrie is the only transfer that was accomplished with success in the past months... I can't believe the last time KK said that something was to be achieved in the next 10 days, he was referring to the transfer of Guthrie  :nope: <b>I'm sure we have some bids on the table but the targets or clubs are waiting for better clubs to enter the hunt (Arda? Gomis? Inler? other yet unknowns)</b>

This is almost certainly the situation. We'll have put offers in for a number of players, who's agents then tout them around the whole of Europe looking for an alternative team:

a. Who is prepared to offer more than us

b. Who will improve the stock of the player better than us

If no better alternative offer can be found the agent will start negotiations with us, but they'll hold out for as long as they possibly can. That's why we have to remain patient, although i'll admit it's starting to become a bit frustrating.

we were after Sagna originally but that was not an option once arsenal made a bid, and apparently we were after hutton but couldnt afford him, so beye it was right at the stroke of midnight!

obviously for faye it was highly publicised that we went for distan and ben haim but they got better offers.

We were in for Beye at the beginning of the transfer window but he rejected us.

This is my own personal perspective as to whether clubs are better or worse off at the moment:

Arsenal - Hard to say what young players are available to step up a level, but the loss of Hleb and Flamini is not made up by Samir Nasri - Slightly Weaker

Aston Villa - One loan made permanent, plus a midfielder who is obviously a more inferior replacement for Barry. Friedel transfer is imminent, but Carson did well there last season, so that won't make too much difference. Meanwhile, they have lost their best defender in Mellberg - Weaker

Blackburn - Likely to replace a very good keeper with a mediocre one. Replaced four insignificant squad players with an injury prone past it has been. Lost a good manager for an almost unproven one - Weaker

Bolton - Elmander is better than what they had at the start of the summer, but isn't going to be as good as Anelka. Guthrie is better than Muamba. - Weaker

Chelsea - Makelele will need replacing. Bosingwa might not be the improvement at right back Chelsea are hoping for. Deco is very good but will be replacing a very good player. Scolari should be better than Grant - Slightly stronger

Everton - Made Pienaar's loan permanent, but have so far failed to secure Manuel Fernandes. They'll miss Carsley too - Weaker

Fulham - Gera excluded, the players coming in are worse than existing players in the same position, or even worse than players who have left. Zamora won't fill McBride's boots - Weaker

Hull - Better players, but still not good enough. Should be better than Derby though - Stronger

Liverpool - New signings will bolster the squad and provide potential stars for a couple of years time, but there is no stand out immediate quality, and they'll miss the goals of Crouch - Slightly weaker

Man City - Despite the investment and reputation, can't say for sure that Jo will provide Citeh with the consistent quality up front that is wanted. Furthermore, there is no reason why Hughes should be better than Sven. They've lost a few squad players who made important contributions last season too - No better or worse

Manchester United - No changes of any note - No better or worse

Middlesbrough - Rochemback and Digard are like for like, and they've lost a few players who have had important roles at Boro over the years - Slightly Weaker

Portsmouth - Added goals from Crouch cancelled out by the iminent loss of Muntari, who really made Pompey tick last season - No better or worse

Stoke - Worse than Reading and Birmingham - Weaker

Sunderland - No real movements yet, but if they get most of the Spurs bunch they want, their squad will get an important upgrade - No better or worse

Tottenham - Modric, dos Santos and Gomes are interesting additions, although I can see one or both of the latter two not working out. Loss of players to Sunderland, Berbatov and Keane would make them considerably weaker however - Slightly stronger

West Brom - Better than Brum and Reading, and have improved their team since - Stronger

West Ham - Behrami doesn't compensate for important goals from Solano and Zamora - Weaker

Wigan - Have oddly signed players that play in the position of their best player - No better or worse

So that makes it:

Stronger: 2 clubs (and two clubs unlikely to rival us)

Slightly Stronger: 2 clubs

No better or worse: 5 clubs

Slightly Weaker: 3 clubs

Weaker: 7 clubs

So in other words, four of our 19 rivals have made progress, while 15 haven't or have even regressed at this stage.

That pretty much agrees with what KK says about other clubs not ripping out trees in the transfer market right now.

With regards to Newcastle, we now have a decent spell under a better manager, we have kept the spine of the team that was both good enough and not always injured, and we have added Guthrie who looks promising, and Gutierrez who was part of the supply line for Guiza's golden boot efforts in La Liga.

As such, our team is slightly stronger than it was before which puts us either closer to, or further ahead of most other Premier League clubs. Get that bit of depth and extra quality and we could really steal the gap in the League this season.

Yes. I haven't read of any other figures to say otherwise as of yet. He is in Portugal the nation is a footballing exporter. Most of there national team play abroad because there is not much coin in Portuguese football.

OK. Believe whatever you want. But where is the confirmation that we even attempted to buy Aimar and Ferdinand.

We may not of bid for them as that seems the last part of the process these days but it seems we may have sounded them out.

Why do think KK is saying "Not just our club - lots of clubs are struggling to tie players down.". Could it be he is finding a lot of unwilling sellers + players not willing to come to Newcastle :yikes: Or is he talking on behalf of other clubs as he has signed his two top targets nee fooking problem.

Sweet jesus you even typed that & made it bold!!!

Guest thommo78

OK. Believe whatever you want. But where is the confirmation that we even attempted to buy Aimar and Ferdinand.

Why would the club confirm we were unsuccessful with these two? Keegan has already said that we haven't always been successful...who that refers to is anyones guess. There is as equal chance of us on this forum knowing we were in for them as we werent.  Noone knows but Keegans comments and past comments suggest to me that things are difficult.

I think we were naive to release all the players we did from a small squad and assume that they would be replaced. The last 3 or 4 transfer windows have been slow and difficult for all but the top european clubs. Its not a new phenomenon it just seems that maybe are strategy needs tweaking. this is the first transfer window under the new setup so there will be some "learn by doing" and mistakes and I expect us to get progressively better as the seaons progress but we don't fully know what the brief is and how they are selling this to targets!

Said this after Keegans post match interview on Saturday..it didn't seem to me we are well down the line with any given target. That may be the result of the slow market or our inablity to close our targets off. Time will be the only indicator of that!

To be honest, if I had the choice of being paid a very high Portuguese wage of £30k per week, when I could be paid an average English wage of £40k per week, I'd go for Benfica, as they were clearly pulling out all the stops.

Not that I believe the newspapers.

Guest shaun11177

The transfer market by its very nature will hot up in August.

You cant blame agents because they get paid on transfers and there hasnt been that many, im sure they are hoping for more activity.

Clubs are asking stupid prices for players and seeing if anyone bites-Arshavin

on the other hand the buying clubs unsettle the player-the player wants to leave-the selling club is forced to sell at a more reasonable price-Barry.

Then we have players just waiting to see who comes in for them-Turan?

In the end it must all be resolved even if its the last day in August.