Pre season optimism............

Benwell Lad

.............  is way overated.

Having supported Newcastle for decades and been a keen observer of football in general I'd say never read too much into what happens pre season. 

Maybe it's just the wall to wall coverage of everything and the number of 24/7 sports news channels that hype things up so much but nothing really matters until it starts for real.

I think I'm in a much worse mood with the club now than I have been at the same point for the last few years, despite finally having a decent manager. I've been far more optimistic under less competent mangers.

I think I'm in a much worse mood with the club now than I have been at the same point for the last few years, despite finally having a decent manager. I've been far more optimistic under less competent mangers.

Why?

Exactly the point, pre season optimism so often misplaced. It counts for nothing.

Why?

Because he's realised James Milner is going to be first choice this season.

.............  is way overated.

Having supported Newcastle for decades and been a keen observer of football in general I'd say never read too much into what happens pre season. 

Maybe it's just the wall to wall coverage of everything and the number of 24/7 sports news channels that hype things up so much but nothing really matters until it starts for real.

i've been thinking that for a while.

the s*** press are whipping places like this into a frenzy (can't understand why as everyone on here slags the press off and claims not to believe a word they print)

The "I'm not worried in the least bit me" sunshine brigade are annoying me more than the hysterical doom & gloom crowd at the moment.  Common sense says you should be concerned if you want an improvement next season.

It was a struggling team last year, and it is essentially the same one minus any depth.  Keegan means improved team selection, more aggressive tactics, but the essential weak points of last year are still there.  The first team squad isn't good at all, and I've seen little to convince me that they are capable of jumping 4 places  in the table (an improvement of 14 points based on last seasons 8th placed finisher, the FA Cup winners). 

I'm excited for the football to start up again and hopeful, but I don't expect anything like the sort of improvement we would need to secure 4th - 8th.  Not without new faces. 

The "I'm not worried in the least bit me" sunshine brigade are annoying me more than the hysterical doom & gloom crowd at the moment.  Common sense says you should be concerned if you want an improvement next season.

It was a struggling team last year, and it is essentially the same one minus any depth.  Keegan means improved team selection, more aggressive tactics, but the essential weak points of last year are still there.  The first team squad isn't good at all, and I've seen little to convince me that they are capable of jumping 4 places  in the table (an improvement of 14 points based on last seasons 8th placed finisher, the FA Cup winners). 

I'm excited for the football to start up again and hopeful, but I don't expect anything like the sort of improvement we would need to secure 4th - 8th.  Not without new faces. 

common sense say a lot of clubs haven't made their major moves in the market. i'd be happier had we concluded more deals by now but i can see a lot of clubs making their deals well after the season has kicked off.

Why?

Because you know exactly what to expect.  With new transfers there is a bit of mystery....Gutierrez could turn out to be the new Ginola and Guthrie could seize the opportunity of being first choice (looks like it anyway) at a big club and develop into an excellent midfielder....hope springs eternal.

But unless you are completely credulous, you know exactly what to expect from the regulars.  The same weaknesses they had last year aren't going to disappear under new management.  You can't coach quality.  A player either has it, they don't, or they lose it with age. 

it's been the same ones year after year saying 'I'll wait till Sep 1st' etc etc. They just DO NOT learn

incidently the same one who bark like dogs when we're forced to play the likes of Robbie Elliot and Peter Ramage in central defence

common sense say a lot of clubs haven't made their major moves in the market. i'd be happier had we concluded more deals by now but i can see a lot of clubs making their deals well after the season has kicked off.

There is so little movement in the market this close season, no real quality yet.

I'm glad that Keegan and Co have not been pressurised into buying for the sake of it to appease press hysteria, co-incidentally the same people who'd be having a go if we were linked with the type of average yet vastly overpriced players Sunderland, for example, are chasing.

Keegan has made it clear that he only wants to bring in players who will improve on what he already has and genuinely want to play here.  Patience may be required.