Is it possible/wise for the club to give the press nothing whatsoever?

Dave

I don't think you can afford to keep things that simple when you have a national media machine that publishes hostile articles on a daily basis.  Supporters won't be content to assume everything is fine behind the scenes when the media is constantly telling them otherwise.  The potential investors that Ashley is looking for won't either. 

When you add a PR side to things, you can easily cross the line between supply of information and spin and I think the club are conscious of keeping things real so to speak. I don't think Ashley likes PR machines anyway, he has been criticized for the same thing with Sports Direct. To be honest NUFC doesn't really need a PR machine in place, we have KK who fans trust to communicate with fans and a media dept to deal with the media, that's enough. I personally don't want to be drip fed inane waffle every day by our players and manager, i.e. Shola  talking about the number 9, Dyer talking about scoring goals, FS talking about the Geordie public and how he loved his wife when he left for work in the morning... I don't care. Injuries, ticket info, pre and post match stuff, that's all I care about.

I do think the club's gone too far the other way though. Look at Guthrie - it was even on the website when we agreed a fee, now Coloccini can sit in the stands and we get no acknowledgement. That would have been ok had the deal been wrapped up and announced over the weekend or Monday but we're now nearly into Thursday, we've still not heard about Bassong either, it's inconsistent. Have a policy and stick to it.

I'm all for a total press blackout but a comment on the website is not too much to ask.

Guest BooBoo

Im not enthralled by the total press blackout. Its not so much a blackout and more alienating the supporters. Its not too much to keep fans informed by the website or even the Chronicle if they could get a trusted journo in to cover NUFC matters. At the moment, the lack of news is annoying supporters and editors who will then print tripe in order to goad the truth out.

it is good that transfer activity has been kept private but you can go too far in that direction, for instance still no official confirmation that bassong has signed even though he's played in friendlies for us, no confirmation of gutierrez's registration and so on. that isn't just keeping the papers in the dark it's keeping the fans in the dark and needlessly creates confusion.

Guest BooBoo

it is good that transfer activity has been kept private but you can go too far in that direction, for instance still no official confirmation that bassong has signed even though he's played in friendlies for us, no confirmation of gutierrez's registration and so on. that isn't just keeping the papers in the dark it's keeping the fans in the dark and needlessly creates confusion.

Yep.

quite interesting, search the bbc football site for complete transfers in july & august and bassong isn't on it?!

Hi Dave! :)

Almost done with my vacation (and soon to return to the forum and watching football again). Exciting signings I must say, but it's no secret that our squad is too small atm. Happy that we have release/sold some under-preforming players as well. Now to the topic...

I think the club should stick with their current strategy... at least for a while... you say that there is a fine line between leaking info to the press all the time and keep quiet, and that's true. However, in the past, and tbh it still happens, the press treats NUFC like a mocking bird.... and that needs to stop....

Of course, turning things around takes time, and eventually the "keep quiet" strategy will pay off... we don't need negative hype and attention around the club... we've had enough of that... right? ...But "shit" sell... that's how the press makes money and creates hype..

A lot of fans "buy in" on the circus, and you know... there's no better thing to do than to create tension among the fans and the club, simply because we(the fans) have so much power. The process of turning things around will go so much smoother and faster if people start being patient and optimistic/positive...instead of "buying in" on every story and article they read, and notice the things that hasn't changed..

On the official site today so far:

Confirmation of Coloccini's arrival.

Quotes from Coloccini.

Quotes from KK on Coloccini.

Confirmation of Gutierrez' availability.

Confirmation of squad numbers.

Confirmation of Martins' availability.

Confirmation of Collocini's availability.

Confirmation of Faye's situation.

Confirmation of Ameobi's situation.

Confirmation of Milner's situation.

Better?

Guest optimistic nit

at the end of the day what you tell the press and what the press report are 2 different things. telling the press nothing cuts us out the loop no more than if we told the press what we were doing.

Guest Phil K

The b*st*rds make it all up anyways.

Give them nothing but an end product.

I agree with whoever is blanking the media.