How do we measure ambition?

Dave

A feeling from within I guess rather than anything else.

Do I personally see Guthrie as an ambitious signing? No. He may turn out to be an astute or a bargain signing but for me he will never be ambitious signing. Do I see Jonas as an ambitious signing ? Yes. He was the winger for the chap who scored the most goals in La Liga last year.

or conversely, load of bollocks :)

signing a rising youngster from a top 4 side's reserves may prove the most ambitious of all, as you're taking the chance on youth rather than on an established signing like say....jason koumas.

at the same time, taking a chance on a relative unknown like Jonas, who as you put it correctly was the winger for the chap who top scored in la liga, is also an ambitious move, as it shows the club are looking everywhere and doing their homework

There's no denying that spending money is an indication of ambition. However, it doesn't guarantee success, because other clubs are ambitious as well, and at the end of the day it's competitive sport and not everyone can win.

Unless you're a bottomless pit of money like Chelsea, you have to be sensible. We can't go down the Leeds road of over-spending on the assumption that you're going to then recoup that outlay by winning trophies. Sooner or later, you have to balance the books.

A feeling from within I guess rather than anything else.

Do I personally see Guthrie as an ambitious signing? No. He may turn out to be an astute or a bargain signing but for me he will never be ambitious signing. Do I see Jonas as an ambitious signing ? Yes. He was the winger for the chap who scored the most goals in La Liga last year.

or conversely, load of bollocks :)

signing a rising youngster from a top 4 side's reserves may prove the most ambitious of all, as you're taking the chance on youth rather than on an established signing like say....jason koumas.

at the same time, taking a chance on a relative unknown like Jonas, who as you put it correctly was the winger for the chap who top scored in la liga, is also an ambitious move, as it shows the club are looking everywhere and doing their homework

Every signing is ambitious because every signing may well work out better than expected.. Is that really the gest of your argument? As you indicate correctly, we are taking huge chances, which is not something I would typically associate with ambition..

If so you have very little idea as to how a manager can change the tempo, pattern of play etc when a result hangs in the balance from the dug-out, at half-time or as Madras inferrs 'the manager's coaching ideology as to how much freedom he allows his matchwinners in accordance with their ability play anywhere across the defensive line - especially when two well coached midfield/outfield units are cancelling each other out in the engine room as opposed to just sitting in their chair and biting their fingernails while hoping the result swings the team's way with just a little help from Lady Luck as per our former manager you backed to the hilt ie. Souness.

If you occasionally remembered how to use a full stop then some of this might be readable.

If so you have very little idea as to how a manager can change the tempo, pattern of play etc when a result hangs in the balance from the dug-out, at half-time or as Madras inferrs 'the manager's coaching ideology as to how much freedom he allows his matchwinners in accordance with their ability play anywhere across the defensive line - especially when two well coached midfield/outfield units are cancelling each other out in the engine room as opposed to just sitting in their chair and biting their fingernails while hoping the result swings the team's way with just a little help from Lady Luck as per our former manager you backed to the hilt ie. Souness.

If you occasionally remembered how to use a full stop then some of this might be readable.

With a little more time at my disposal i've made the necessary edits, to the above quoted post only. The other two posts are fine.

Feel free to evaluate them from now on - ie. C+ etc.

It's like trying to read one of those Google translations.

Having absolutely no sense of humour at all :pow: i'll assume that's directed at my post/s, and as usual yours is another mindnumbingly stupid contribution to a thread.

If so you have very little idea as to how a manager can play a role from the guf-out in altering the tempo, pattern of play etc when a result hangs in the balance  dug-out - whether that be at half-time or as Madras inferrs 'the manager's coaching ideology as to how much freedom he allows his matchwinners in accordance with their ability play anywhere across the defensive line, and this originates from the training ground as well. This comes into effect when two well coached & matched midfield/outfield units are cancelling each other out in the engine room.

Or would you rather the managerjust sat there in the hotseat, all the while biting their fingernails and hoping the result swings the team's way with just a little help from Lady Luck as per our former manager you backed to the hilt ie. Souness.

There you go. This should suffice.