If NUFC had gone bust

afar

I'd want to support my local team. Just now, that would be South Shields. Though there'd be a temptation to go and see Whitley Bay's matches as I used to on occasion when I lived there for 10 years and I only moved ot South Shields 2 years ago, so I've no real affiliation for the team or anything yet.

So yeah, probably Whitley Bay. That's assuming no reborn NUFC, as they'd obviously be my first choice.

Would you support Whitley over a PL team playing at SJP in black and white stripes, calling themselves Newcastle Nitros or something, having originally been located in lancashire ?

I'd want to support my local team. Just now, that would be South Shields. Though there'd be a temptation to go and see Whitley Bay's matches as I used to on occasion when I lived there for 10 years and I only moved ot South Shields 2 years ago, so I've no real affiliation for the team or anything yet.

So yeah, probably Whitley Bay. That's assuming no reborn NUFC, as they'd obviously be my first choice.

Would you support Whitley over a PL team playing at SJP in black and white stripes, calling themselves Newcastle Nitros or something, having originally been located in lancashire ?

Was with you all the way up until "Originally located in lancashire". I despise the whole relocation thing, so it would be really hard for me to accept that. So I'd probably stick with Whitley Bay and hope that someone started a home-grown Football Club United of Newcastle or so on. Failing that, I'd start it myself! :D

Was with you all the way up until "Originally located in lancashire". I despise the whole relocation thing, so it would be really hard for me to accept that. So I'd probably stick with Whitley Bay and hope that someone started a home-grown Football Club United of Newcastle or so on. Failing that, I'd start it myself! :D

Wouldn't it be hard though not to jump on the bandwagon, if the Nitros started playing great football winning trophies and the rest of the city had been taken in. After all you're a Newcastle lad, they are representing your city, the Geordie nation as it were, just because they started out some where else, does it mean we should be any less proud of them, would it not be hard to resist ?

Just so you know, I'm playing devil's adovcate here :)

Wouldn't it be hard though not to jump on the bandwagon, if the Nitros started playing great football winning trophies and the rest of the city had been taken in. After all you're a Newcastle lad, they are representing your city, the Geordie nation as it were, just because they started out some where else, does it mean we should be any less proud of them, would it not be hard to resist ?

I've resisted enough bandwagons in my time to not jump on the next one that passes. For me, supporting Newcastle has never been about winning trophies (Thank god), it's about supporting a team that you identify with. Your local team. The team your family supported.

Of course, there'd come a point where this new Newcastle Nitros team would become more synonymous with Newcastle than with their previous Lancashire base but I think that point would take so long to arrive (ie years rather than weeks or months) that I'd be a hardened Whitley Bay supporter by then and there'd be no going back.

That's certainly how I'd like to think it would happen, but of course you never can tell. Maybe I'd sneak in to a couple of matches to watch the Nitros beat the Mackems! ;)

I've resisted enough bandwagons in my time to not jump on the next one that passes. For me, supporting Newcastle has never been about winning trophies (Thank god), it's about supporting a team that you identify with. Your local team. The team your family supported.

Of course, there'd come a point where this new Newcastle Nitros team would become more synonymous with Newcastle than with their previous Lancashire base but I think that point would take so long to arrive (ie years rather than weeks or months) that I'd be a hardened Whitley Bay supporter by then and there'd be no going back.

That's certainly how I'd like to think it would happen, but of course you never can tell. Maybe I'd sneak in to a couple of matches to watch the Nitros beat the Mackems! ;)

Top quality response. Thank god we'll never have to worry about this scenario. I wonder if this though will happen somewhere else in the country. Leeds almost went but would they ever have fallen and could it happen to someone else, Man Shitty for example, or even the dirty Mackems ?

When Arizona come to town to play St Louis, who do the locals support, the rams or the cardinals ?

As someone who goes to St Louis often, I can honestly say that they would support the Rams, they are their team now.  The US is fortunate (and unfortunate) because the whole league is so spread out that rarely would there be a situation where a Sunderland would just move into Newcastle and take over their stadium and stuff.  People also don't tend to be as die hard of fans over things like baseball and american football (of course you could find them but the % is much lower) as in England over football teams.

If a replacement team was allowed to be established the small local clubs would have a massive increase in attendence and money - one of those would eventually replace NUFC as the Geordie Nation representative/giant... Whitley Bay? BlythSpartans? Who knows? Probably not the Berwick Rangers though... just a hunch. Maybe Newcastle West End and East would reform and we would all give eachother grief as much as ... we do already...

If a replacement team was allowed to be established the small local clubs would have a massive increase in attendence and money - one of those would eventually replace NUFC as the Geordie Nation representative/giant... Whitley Bay? BlythSpartans? Who knows? Probably not the Berwick Rangers though... just a hunch. Maybe Newcastle West End and East would reform and we would all give eachother grief as much as ... we do already...

i reckon that would go the route of fc united of manchester with a new club being formed to catch the support.

i reckon that would go the route of fc united of manchester with a new club being formed to catch the support.

I meant to put "If a replacement team was NOT allowed..." messed up that post there. Sloppy typing.

Just continue watching football without devoting time to a particular team. I still consider myself a football fan first, and a Newcastle fan second, so in this ridiculous hypothetical situation (actually reminds me of one which Vic dreamt up), I'd just continue watching and enjoying football. No more heartbreaks as well ;)

Guest Brewcastle

If not really die-hard supporting, I may go to one or two Whitley Bay-matches when visiting friends in Toon. -But what a terrible thought the thread brings up  :crazy2: