Michael Owen Offered 3 Year Extension - Club Statement.

Tooj

i also find it remarkable that having come off the bench to score the winning goal for us twice in a row, people are still questioning his worth to us.

Also remarkable that even if Capello didn't think he was ready/good enough to start, he wasn't named in the squad to bring off the bench if needed for that very reason you've mentioned...particularly against Croatia.

i also find it remarkable that having come off the bench to score the winning goal for us twice in a row, people are still questioning his worth to us.

What is the maximum you would pay him? There needs to be limits.

Also remarkable that even if Capello didn't think he was ready/good enough to start, he wasn't named in the squad to bring off the bench if needed for that very reason you've mentioned...particularly against Croatia.

Even more remarkable that the likes of Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez and Scolari, despite having clear opportunities to take the player from us, have failed to make any move. Clearly there has been a collective failure of judgement here, among those who really should know better.

Or maybe the player isn't actually good enough for that level.

The unofficial response from Owen:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4649286.ece

Newcastle United risk alienating their most important player after publicising details of their contract negotiations with Michael Owen yesterday. The England striker will resume talks this week about extending a deal that is in its final season and he is committed to the club, but there is concern at the club’s negotiating tactics. Owen will not be bounced into anything.

After selling James Milner to Aston Villa on Friday for a fee that could rise to £12 million and with the transfer window closing tonight, Newcastle’s decision to release an official statement claiming that Owen had been offered a three-year extension on improved wages caught the striker’s camp unawares.

There was more news for Owen to digest last night when Fabio Capello, the England manager, left the forward out of his squad for the World Cup qualifying matches against Andorra and Croatia.

Discussions between Owen and Newcastle are continuing and the player is relishing working under Kevin Keegan’s management, but the contract on the table does not equate to a pay rise on his basic £115,000-a-week terms, but contains incentives and reams of small print. Owen, who could leave Tyneside on a free transfer next summer, is entitled to enter talks with rival clubs in January.

“Newcastle United can confirm that captain Michael Owen has been offered an extended and improved three-year contract,” a club official said. “The proposed terms of the new deal include an increased salary for Michael and demonstrate the club’s commitment to keeping him.”

Given that the Newcastle hierarchy ignored Keegan’s pleas until the end of last season to secure the future of their most high-profile player, it is believed that they have brought this state of affairs upon themselves.

Newcastle have until midnight to bolster a first-team squad that was small even before Milner’s move to Villa Park. While the winger submitted a transfer request, his chief frustration was that Dennis Wise, the club’s executive director, had refused to discuss awarding him a new deal.

Newcastle, who had ambitious targets such as Javier Saviola, Luka Modric and Arda Turan, have left things late. They have asked about Olivier Kapo, who only recently joined Wigan Athletic from Birmingham City, and, according to reports in Spain, have agreed a season-long loan deal for Ignacio González, the Valencia and Uruguay midfield player.

Guest WashyGeordie

The unofficial response from Owen:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article4649286.ece

Newcastle United risk alienating their most important player after publicising details of their contract negotiations with Michael Owen yesterday. The England striker will resume talks this week about extending a deal that is in its final season and he is committed to the club, but there is concern at the club’s negotiating tactics. Owen will not be bounced into anything.

After selling James Milner to Aston Villa on Friday for a fee that could rise to £12 million and with the transfer window closing tonight, Newcastle’s decision to release an official statement claiming that Owen had been offered a three-year extension on improved wages caught the striker’s camp unawares.

There was more news for Owen to digest last night when Fabio Capello, the England manager, left the forward out of his squad for the World Cup qualifying matches against Andorra and Croatia.

Discussions between Owen and Newcastle are continuing and the player is relishing working under Kevin Keegan’s management, but the contract on the table does not equate to a pay rise on his basic £115,000-a-week terms, but contains incentives and reams of small print. Owen, who could leave Tyneside on a free transfer next summer, is entitled to enter talks with rival clubs in January.

“Newcastle United can confirm that captain Michael Owen has been offered an extended and improved three-year contract,” a club official said. “The proposed terms of the new deal include an increased salary for Michael and demonstrate the club’s commitment to keeping him.”

Given that the Newcastle hierarchy ignored Keegan’s pleas until the end of last season to secure the future of their most high-profile player, it is believed that they have brought this state of affairs upon themselves.

Newcastle have until midnight to bolster a first-team squad that was small even before Milner’s move to Villa Park. While the winger submitted a transfer request, his chief frustration was that Dennis Wise, the club’s executive director, had refused to discuss awarding him a new deal.

Newcastle, who had ambitious targets such as Javier Saviola, Luka Modric and Arda Turan, have left things late. They have asked about Olivier Kapo, who only recently joined Wigan Athletic from Birmingham City, and, according to reports in Spain, have agreed a season-long loan deal for Ignacio González, the Valencia and Uruguay midfield player.

???

Guest KeithKettleborough

I am wondering if Owen is really that keen on playing for KK. There was some concern I believe from him when Kevin was England manager and I am wondering if this still exists.

It may be nothing but during the Coventry game, I noticed Owen on the bench while KK was going on about something that had happened on the pitch. The body language and look on Owen's face made me think he was saying something like, "Oh there he goes again!" .

Think I would like to have a fit Owen staying as without the goals I would expect him to score, we could be struggling again.

This is strange. It's almost as if we released the info to show that the club have offered him a good deal, and therefore it isn't their fault if he chooses to leave sort of thing.

Interesting stuff.

Earlier I was thinking that the loan signing from Valencia might have been cover for Barton, but he seems to be more of a player that slots in behind the front two, which is a role I think Keegan was looking to have Owen continue from last season.

Maybe the Valencia player is a temporary solution to Owen not being around.

No matter what happens I think we'll be okay. I believe in this new regime. They seem to be making solid decisions and aren't being bullied into anything.

Guest Saint Andy

how can he justify wanting a pay rise?? Is there any other club that would pay him that much considering his injury record and the fact he's not even selected for England?

Guest johnson293

i wonder if he'll sign now :rolleyes:

Aye... A lot could depend if KK goes, and who replaces him.

But realistically, Owen probably just wants out as soon as possible after this latest episode.