Michael Owen Offered 3 Year Extension - Club Statement.

Tooj

If it's worth £120,000 per week as SSN is saying then we've done everything we possibly can. Nobody can blame us now if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Completely agree. Surely none of our fans could expect us to offer him anything more?

I think many of us would expect us to offer him less or find a replacement. I am in that camp anyway, and wouldn´t be to pleased if we are losing out on and having to sell other players because we are not offering them the wages that they want, only to then go and offer one of our most injury prone players a much improved deal that would have him amongst the Premiership absolute top earners.

So you would offer him less and risk letting him go?

I understand your points, just want to see what you would do.

I definately would. Actually, I would sell him now for a decent fee if there were any takers and we could get an up and coming replacement. I rate Owen as being well past his best. He is now a striker that will convert a good percentages of chances, but not one who will create chances out of nowhere, which I think is what we need more than anything. It´s not like Owen is still in a class of his own. 10 million will go a long way towards a replacement who will contribute at least the same to the team as Owen does, isn´t as inury prone (i.e. you can build a team around) and does not demand excessive wages. I´m thinking the likes of Defoe, Santa Cruz, Berbatov (before his transfer to Spurs), Alves, etc here, who I all rate as on par with Michael Owen at this moment in time (Owen was better in his prime, but those days are long gone). I reckon we could get somebody in that ilk and be better of on and off the pitch.

Apart from the players you have mentioned, who do you think we could get who could do better than Michael Owen?

I´ve already mentioned four. Do you want me to mention another dozen or so, which I easily could, until you find one that you don´t rate so you can give me some stick? It's not about the names, it's about the fact Owen is not worthy of one of the highest wages in the Premiership, not in his current form anyway. There are at least ten better forwards/strikers in the Premiership at this time.

Ok fair enough, I think your wrong.  I believe we would be better off keeping Owen than trying to sell him a day and half before the window closes and try to get Santa Cruz or Alves in.  The other two you metnioned we have NO CHANCE in signing unless we had European football to offer.

I do agree that Owen's wages are too high but I'd rather keep him.

i think we should sell the little horse wanking welsh c***!

Yep. Ameobi and Smith up front. It's the way forward.

sell all of them, if we cant sell them then give them away, owen is a welsh arsewipe, Ameobi can trap a ball further than most can kick one and smith?? well i cannot describe how s**** he is!

sell all of them, if we can seel them then give them away, owen is a welsh arsewipe, Ameobi  can trap a ball further than most can kick one and smith?? well i cannot describe how shite he is!

This man's a genius. Having almost no strikers is what the best clubs do, is it not?

sell all of them, if we cant sell them then give them away, owen is a welsh arsewipe, Ameobi  can trap a ball further than most can kick one and smith?? well i cannot describe how s**** he is!

Precisely what I thought about you when I read that post.

If it's worth £120,000 per week as SSN is saying then we've done everything we possibly can. Nobody can blame us now if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Completely agree. Surely none of our fans could expect us to offer him anything more?

I think many of us would expect us to offer him less or find a replacement. I am in that camp anyway, and wouldn´t be to pleased if we are losing out on and having to sell other players because we are not offering them the wages that they want, only to then go and offer one of our most injury prone players a much improved deal that would have him amongst the Premiership absolute top earners.

I definately would. Actually, I would sell him now for a decent fee if there were any takers and we could get an up and coming replacement. I rate Owen as being well past his best. He is now a striker that will convert a good percentages of chances, but not one who will create chances out of nowhere, which I think is what we need more than anything. It´s not like Owen is still in a class of his own. 10 million will go a long way towards a replacement who will contribute at least the same to the team as Owen does, isn´t as inury prone (i.e. you can build a team around) and does not demand excessive wages. I´m thinking the likes of Defoe, Santa Cruz, Berbatov (before his transfer to Spurs), Alves, etc here, who I all rate as on par with Michael Owen at this moment in time (Owen was better in his prime, but those days are long gone). I reckon we could get somebody in that ilk and be better of on and off the pitch.

Apart from the players you have mentioned, who do you think we could get who could do better than Michael Owen?

I´ve already mentioned four. Do you want me to mention another dozen or so, which I easily could, until you find one that you don´t rate so you can give me some stick? It's not about the names, it's about the fact Owen is not worthy of one of the highest wages in the Premiership, not in his current form anyway. There are at least ten better forwards/strikers in the Premiership at this time.

Ok fair enough, I think your wrong.  I believe we would be better off keeping Owen than trying to sell him a day and half before the window closes and try to get Santa Cruz or Alves in.  The other two you metnioned we have NO CHANCE in signing unless we had European football to offer.

Well, that's the thing though isn't it. We have known all summer long we needed Owen to either accept a new contract or flog him and replace him. Of course he has us over a barrel now with 30 odd hours to go in the transfer market. The club hasn't handled this situation well at all imho, especially if in the end we are being forced to pay well over the odds for a player who is on the decline..

sell all of them, if we cant sell them then give them away, owen is a welsh arsewipe, Ameobi  can trap a ball further than most can kick one and smith?? well i cannot describe how s**** he is!

We can hardly describe Smith as a striker anyway, Strikers by definition score goals, Smith alas does not!

sell all of them, if we can seel them then give them away, owen is a welsh arsewipe, Ameobi  can trap a ball further than most can kick one and smith?? well i cannot describe how s**** he is!

This man's a genius. Having almost no strikers is what the best clubs do, is it not?

Or we could have flogged them and found a replacement, which we have had a whole summer transfer window to do..

Well, that's the thing though isn't it. We have known all summer long we needed Owen to either accept a new contract or flog him and replace him. Of course he has us over a barrel now with 30 odd hours to go in the transfer market. The club hasn't handled this situation well at all imho, especially if in the end we are being forced to pay well over the odds for a player who is on the decline..

Ok I do see where your coming from a bit better, your right we should have either had his contract wrapped up much sooner and not let things go this far, or moved him on IF there was a decent replacement signed up, such as Santa Cruz.  Every fan would love to see their club conclude all their transfers as early as possible and we have got 4 in so far, with comments from the club that they have been trying to get 4 or 5 in by end of the window.  It's not ideal, but I doubt the club has left it this late on purpose.  If we get another 3 players in on Monday I will be happy, some others may not, but I will be.

As for Owen's contract, well I'd love it if he accepted £70k a week instead.  Fact is he wont and I find it acceptable to wrap it up and keep him for another 3 years than to lose him.  I feel Michael Owen has an influence on the pitch and in the dressing room to team mates, I also believe he is a selling point for the club when bringing new players in.  He is also a world class finisher and if we didn't have him in the team right now we may only got a draw against Bolton and potentially lost on penalties to Coventry (we may have won both of those games without Owen, my point being is that he WAS the man who did got us the goals).

Looks like we have different opinions on this matter, and that's that.

sell all of them, if we can seel them then give them away, owen is a welsh arsewipe, Ameobi  can trap a ball further than most can kick one and smith?? well i cannot describe how shite he is!

Is sarcasm/wumming something that completely eludes you or what? :lol:

Guest Gallowgate Mag

He's off IYAM - otherwise why would the club release the information until he signed?

He doesn't want to sign and the club have released the information of his new improved contract with that in mind, to show that it was him and not us who fucked it up.

He's off IYAM - otherwise why would the club release the information until he signed?

He doesn't want to sign and the club have released the information of his new improved contract with that in mind, to show that it was him and not us who fucked it up.

Very presumptious!

Wait until he accepts or rejects.  I think the club have offered the deal because of the speculation that he's leaving imo.

Guest toonlass

Clever by the club. They have let the fans know that the contract is on the table, is better money than he is on now, and its up to him to sign. Ball's in your court now Owen, how can you refuse £120,000 a week?

i think you are onto something, but i feel the move to make it public doesn't mean he is leaving, just that it puts more pressure on him and eases pressure on the club.

First thing that crossed my mind.

By making it public, the club are essentially saying "the ball's in his court" -- seems to me like they're worried that he won't sign it, so they're using the fans to pressurize him.

All the papers are naming a club statement from an unnamed official as the source for this and the BBC are saying that it's on the official site, yet I can't seem to see it there. Has anyone actually seen this statement in it's original form? Wonder if all the press that are quoting it have actually seen it or whether they're just feeding off each other like they normally do?