Michael Owen Offered 3 Year Extension - Club Statement.

Tooj

Guest Heneage

All the papers are naming a club statement from an unnamed official as the source for this and the BBC are saying that it's on the official site, yet I can't seem to see it there. Has anyone actually seen this statement in it's original form? Wonder if all the press that are quoting it have actually seen it or whether they're just feeding off each other like they normally do?

Thats exaxtlywhat i'm thinking.

They're trying to shift the blame. So if he doesn't sign, they can turn to the fans and effectively say "well we tried to keep him".

This is what i thought. First KK says negotiations are put on back burner til after the window closes - then this announment.

Very fishy

Sounds like a desperate move to me. I want him to stay and sign on but things dont look promising. There is nothing to be gained by releasing this information other than showing fans we have tried to offer him something.

If we were confident he would sign we wouldnt be needing to release this info until he signed it.

Either he is off, or its a risky move pressuring Owen which is more than likely to push him to moving, I wouldnt be happy with the club if I was MO, although the raise if true is very generous and like mentioned he wont get it elsewhere bar Man City.

Sounds like a desperate move to me. I want him to stay and sign on but things dont look promising. There is nothing to be gained by releasing this information other than showing fans we have tried to offer him something.

If we were confident he would sign we wouldnt be needing to release this info until he signed it.

Either he is off, or its a risky move pressuring Owen which is more than likely to push him to moving, I wouldnt be happy with the club if I was MO, although the raise if true is very generous and like mentioned he wont get it elsewhere bar Man City.

at the same time MO should realise we've hardly had value for money from him. i can understand him not wanting to take a pay cut but wanting a pay rise after the last 3 years takes the piss somewhat.

Just thought I'd throw this one into the mix...

Straight swap with Spuds for Berba?  Would anyone take it?

not really likely is it. owen on the owen market maybe 5 to 8 million. berbatov in the open market bids start around 20mill.

Just thought I'd throw this one into the mix...

Straight swap with Spuds for Berba?  Would anyone take it?

Yeah, I'm sure with them rejecting bids in excess of £20m from Man Utd for Berbatov, they'd bite our hands off for a straight swap with Owen(!)  :idiot2:

Good move by the club if it's true. Everyone should be satisfied that we've put a good offer on the table, and if he doesn't sign it, fine go elsewhere at the end of the season and we can look to get someone else in. I wouldn't be surprised if Saviola isn't already lined up as insurance in any case.

It does smack of preparing us for bad news, a la the "Milner hands in transfer request" announcement.

That wasnt bad news though! Owen not signing would be. I'd give him the Milner transfer fee and have done with it. He could get a few more horses for that.

It does smack of preparing us for bad news, a la the "Milner hands in transfer request" announcement.

That wasnt bad news though! Owen not signing would be. I'd give him the Milner transfer fee and have done with it. He could get a few more horses for that.

:lol:

I hope he signs, sharpish.

Assuming this statement really is official, it's a sign that the club have reached the end of their tether with the situation.

If he doesn't sign, then we should try to move him on asap, and stop playing silly buggers. He's in the final year of his contract. If he doesn't re-commit himself, then he can go. That's the usual situation with players in that position and Owen, despite his inflated reputation, shouldn't be treated any differently.

Besides, we can't have a captain that isn't committed to the club.

Assuming this statement really is official, it's a sign that the club have reached the end of their tether with the situation.

If he doesn't sign, then we should try to move him on asap, and stop playing silly buggers. He's in the final year of his contract. If he doesn't re-commit himself, then he can go. That's the usual situation with players in that position and Owen, despite his inflated reputation, shouldn't be treated any differently.

Besides, we can't have a captain that isn't committed to the club.

He should feel ashamed if he doesn't sign another deal, the amount he's cost us for someone that's always injured is shocking

He should be extending it to pay back the faith that was shown to him

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

He should feel ashamed if he doesn't sign another deal, the amount he's cost us for someone that's always injured is shocking

Agree 100%

Agree 100%

Me too. I don't think he sees it like this though.

Yes we did.

So on that grounds, shouldn't people stop using the "oh he has missed all these games through injury and is on £110k a week" as a big chunk of wages was paid for us?

Yes they should. That's life, though.

Agree 100%

Me too. I don't think he sees it like this though.

I think he'll just wait and see if anyone comes in like last summer with the buy-out clause. If he gets a better offer he will leave if it's a club he likes. Otherwise he'll re-sign and claim he wanted to be here all along.

Either way, I'm not really arsed.

There's no loyalty from players & with the club showing little ambition you'd expect a player of Owen's calibre to say bollocks to this I'm off and what's more you couldn't blame him.

If we'd tackled this contract issue earlier and made in roads with transfers I think he'd be signed up already & we'd look a far more settled squad.