Michael Owen Offered 3 Year Extension - Club Statement.

Tooj

Guest apple79

He's been left out of the England squad for the two up coming games.

Good.

unless he thinks he needs a change of club to get back in.....i doubt it though

Good to see there's still some people unhappy. :thup:

What's there to be happy about?

He's arguably our best player, and we can ill-afford for him to leave.

A 3 year contract at 120k/week gives him every reason to stay.

As I´ve said before in this thread, I will not be pleased if he signs on an improved deal as I think we can do better and we are talking another massive 18 million for the duration of this contract. He simply isn´t worth the wages we are offering him; he would be lucky to get just over half of that elsewhere considering his fitness record.

For the people saying we could get a cheaper replacement, what you don't seem to realise is that for future transfers, who's going to have the bigger pulling power...Owen or Defoe/Ashton/etc? Whether people like it or not, he is the biggest name at this club these days...and that includes the name of Kevin Keegan.

For the people saying we could get a cheaper replacement, what you don't seem to realise is that for future transfers, who's going to have the bigger pulling power...Owen or Defoe/Ashton/etc? Whether people like it or not, he is the biggest name at this club these days...and that includes the name of Kevin Keegan.

The Premiership is our biggest draw for players from outside the UK. Other clubs manage to sign good players and they don't have to pay their talisman ridiculous wages to attract them either..

Do you not see the conflict between you criticising the club elsewhere for what you perceive as a lack of ambition in the transfer market whilst at the same time hoping for us to get rid of our most high-profile/talented player or offer to pay him less money?

This would be a huge financial commitment, isn't that what you want?

The Premiership is our biggest draw for players from outside the UK. Other clubs manage to sign good players and they don't have to pay their talisman ridiculous wages to attract them either..

Owen is still a world class player, so 120k/week reflects that. The ball is in his court now, he's got a fair offer and if he wants to play for us he'll sign. If not, I'm sure we'll find someone by the time he leaves...or even before then.

Owen isn't a world class player ffs. World class is Eto'o, Drogba, Ronaldo, Totti etc. If he was in that league he wouldn't be with us.

He's as close to one as we're going to get at this point in time.

Do you not see the conflict between you criticising the club elsewhere for what you perceive as a lack of ambition in the transfer market whilst at the same time hoping for us to get rid of our most high-profile/talented player or offer to pay him less money?

You don't understand what I want at all do you? As I've said before, it's not necessarily about the money, it's about building a squad as strong as we possibly can. You will claim that will mean holding onto Owen, but I don't rate Owen that highly anymore. He is injury prone and has lost is pace; in general he is on the decline. I would hate for us to make him one of the best paid Premiership players for even longer. Have a look at Afonso Alves for example; he would have been the sort of attainable target I would have wanted us to go after. Boro bought him for what, 10 mill, and he will be on half the wages that Owen is on, so over 3 years that equates to around the same outlay, but for that you get a player who is in his prime playing days and could be another Berbatov (another such an example) in that the big clubs could come in for him if he does well and you could sell for a profit. I reckon we can get (or would have been able to get) the best part of that transfer sum if we would have flogged Owen this summer when it became clear he wasn't willing to sign a deal that reflected his value as a player more fairly. In short, I am worried that we are investing so many wages in a player who is made out of glass (haven't we learned anything?) at the detriment of the rest of the squad (a creative midfielder of recognised quality please).

Owen isn't a world class player ffs. World class is Eto'o, Drogba, Ronaldo, Totti etc. If he was in that league he wouldn't be with us.

How come other clubs are managing to get quality strikers in who can remain fit? Owen's a good player when fit, but essentially we have still not replaced Shearer as the speerhead of our attack.

Surprised that he wasn't called up for England. The good thing is he won't be blamed if England bollocks everything up and he won't get injured playing for them, the bad thing is he may think he needs to go to a 'bigger' club to get back into the England team.

Where is this official club statement about Owen being offered a new contract? I've looked on the Official NUFC website and can't see anything about it.

You don't understand what I want at all do you? As I've said before, it's not necessarily about the money, it's about building a squad as strong as we possibly can. You will claim that will mean holding onto Owen, but I don't rate Owen that highly anymore. He is injury prone and has lost is pace; in general he is on the decline. I would hate for us to make him one of the best paid Premiership players for even longer. Have a look at Afonso Alves for example; he would have been the sort of attainable target I would have wanted us to go after. Boro bought him for what, 10 mill, and he will be on half the wages that Owen is on, so over 3 years that equates to around the same outlay, but for that you get a player who is in his prime playing days and could be another Berbatov (another such an example) in that the big clubs could come in for him if he does well and you could sell for a profit. I reckon we can get (or would have been able to get) the best part of that transfer sum if we would have flogged Owen this summer when it became clear he wasn't willing to sign a deal that reflected his value as a player more fairly. In short, I am worried that we are investing so many wages in a player who is made out of glass (haven't we learned anything?) at the detriment of the rest of the squad (a creative midfielder of recognised quality please).

Fair enough.

Regardless of how you rate the player though, surely you agree it'd send out a hugely negative message to any such players we're trying to attract? Michael Owen, our 'biggest' player, perceived by most (rightly or wrongly) as our best player, our record signing, allowed to leave the club because we're not willing to pay him enough.

That doesn't mean we should offer him the budget.

I'm split on this matter, i'd rather wait to see how he does this season to see if he deserves a pay rise, because right now he doesn't, the problem is that isn't an option because he WOULD leave. Him being offered more leaves a bad taste in my mouth, if it was the same as he is currently on I would find it easier to stomach. I've got to question his commitment if he's turned down the same terms.

How come other clubs are managing to get quality strikers in who can remain fit? Owen's a good player when fit, but essentially we have still not replaced Shearer as the speerhead of our attack.

How many of these players would be signing for those clubs if they had, or had a chance, of signing Michael Owen?

As I´ve said before in this thread, I will not be pleased if he signs on an improved deal as I think we can do better and we are talking another massive 18 million for the duration of this contract. He simply isn´t worth the wages we are offering him; he would be lucky to get just over half of that elsewhere considering his fitness record.

His worth elsewhere will have been made very clear by his agent during the negotiations. The higher the demands, the higher the offer elsewhere.