Frank Gilmour

Stu

He represents that ASSOCIATION OF SUPPORTERS.

wouldn't you represent Newcastle Online ?

Whats the difference ?

Just admit it DAve, your beef with this is because it isn't you

No one from here would speak for the forum members (or allow themselves to be understood as doing so). In all seriousness, do you know how I would go about finding about/involving myself with INUSA? How did he come to speak for the group? How big is the group?

thats all I'm saying mate. I have never seen Frank Gilmour ever say anything claiming to be any opinion other than his own ? The same with Mark Jensen.

All I want to know is who this association contains, what they do (other than give opinions to the media) and how they can be contacted. For some reason this really fucks NE5 off.

Mark Jensen edits a fanzine, and is easily contactable via phone, email or ordinary mail. I know about him.

Wahey! Here we go.

quite simply the most hypocritical thing I've seen in ages.

I don't see him saying anywhere that the views are anybody else's other than his own by the way.

Hasn't the club asked you for views on things DAve ?

Please tell us the difference.

Neither the club or the press have ever asked me for my views on NUFC, either for publication or for any other reason.

Do you understand the meaning of the word ASSOCIATION?

I can't see why it bothers you.

I can only presume you are pissed off because it isn't you ?

Frank has never said he is speaking for the supporters, he only gives his own views and does it because he is asked for them.

Its more the fact that he claims to represent some sort of supporters club, which no-one I know of has ever been involved with/been associated with/ever heard about. He also happens to spout exactly what the southern media expect a stereotypical "crying on the telly geordie fan" to say.

He's very rarely complimentary about the club, why do the press never ask him for comments when there's something positive happening at the club? ["Oh, but that never happens" I hear you cry]

It's interesting that you should comment on this thread NE5, particularly that you should be 'defending' the guy, as my original post was going to make some tenuous allegation that YOU are Frank Gilmour...but that would be too far fetched :rolleyes:

he doesn't "claim" anything, from what I have seen. Its the same as Mark Jensen of the mag, they are telephoned and asked for their views. Now I'm not Frank Gilmour, but I know that Mark Jensen gets asked for his views. And no, I'm not Mark either.

Thats all there is to it. These people don't write the lines, they are just asked for their opinions.

I assume he claims to be the chairman of INUSA, that the press don't just refer to him as that for a laugh. Do you know if he's aware that heading an organisation with that title lends the idea that he speaks on behalf of a large and organised body of people credibility? Do you think he's aware that, in his position, he should distance his own privately held views from those of others supporters? Anything less suggests he speaks with the authority of his position. It seems he does claim to be airing the views of the 'masses', if anything.

All this shit going on and all NE5 has time for is petty arguments about supporting his friend.

what do you want me to say melanie ? I told you so or something ?

FWIW, I'm as pissed off as anybody and just right now Mike Ashley can piss off and I wish I hadn't paid for the next 3 years. That feeling will go, but I wish i hadn't paid that money and trusted him.

Very let down.

This doesn't belong in this thread, I'm just replying to you.

I am not Frank Gilmour or Mark Jensen. If you have seen them on tv, I'm just explaining why they give these comments. They are asked for them. In Marks case, sometimes other mag writers do them, but only if they agree.

Wahey! Here we go.

I don't see him saying anywhere that the views are anybody else's other than his own by the way.

Neither the club or the press have ever asked me for my views on NUFC, either for publication or for any other reason.

Frank has never said he is speaking for the supporters, he only gives his own views and does it because he is asked for them.

Its more the fact that he claims to represent some sort of supporters club, which no-one I know of has ever been involved with/been associated with/ever heard about. He also happens to spout exactly what the southern media expect a stereotypical "crying on the telly geordie fan" to say.

He's very rarely complimentary about the club, why do the press never ask him for comments when there's something positive happening at the club? ["Oh, but that never happens" I hear you cry]

It's interesting that you should comment on this thread NE5, particularly that you should be 'defending' the guy, as my original post was going to make some tenuous allegation that YOU are Frank Gilmour...but that would be too far fetched :rolleyes:

he doesn't "claim" anything, from what I have seen. Its the same as Mark Jensen of the mag, they are telephoned and asked for their views. Now I'm not Frank Gilmour, but I know that Mark Jensen gets asked for his views. And no, I'm not Mark either.

Thats all there is to it. These people don't write the lines, they are just asked for their opinions.

I assume he claims to be the chairman of INUSA, that the press don't just refer to him as that for a laugh. Do you know if he's aware that heading an organisation with that title lends the idea that he speaks on behalf of a body of people credibility? Do you think he's aware that, in his position, he should distance his own privately held views from those of others supporters? It seems he normally claims to be airing the views of the 'masses', if anything.

So far as I can see, he's just asked for them. The INUSA was borne out of the period when people were moved from their seats to make way for those corporate areas, and its just existed in some form ever since. I don't know what Frank does with regard to it, and to be honest, I'm not really bothered either.

If someone rang you as a NO person, wouldn't you give your views ?

I assume he claims to be the chairman of INUSA, that the press don't just refer to him as that for a laugh. Do you know if he's aware that heading an organisation with that title lends the idea that he speaks on behalf of a body of people credibility? Do you think he's aware that, in his position, he should distance his own privately held views from those of others supporters? It seems he normally claims to be airing the views of the 'masses', if anything.

:thup:

To explain what we're getting at NE5, when I did my "daft" interview for Look North, I was captioned as being a member of the "Hitzfeld for the Toon!" Campaign, which I understood and what I said to the interviewer represented the discussions I had with the members of that campaign.

If I had gone on there claiming to be representing the campaign, but said "Lets get Graeme Souness!" - it would have been implied that the other members of the campaign also believed Souness should be the next manager.

He represents that ASSOCIATION OF SUPPORTERS.

wouldn't you represent Newcastle Online ?

Whats the difference ?

Just admit it DAve, your beef with this is because it isn't you

No one from here would speak for the forum members (or allow themselves to be understood as doing so). In all seriousness, do you know how I would go about finding about/involving myself with INUSA? How did he come to speak for the group? How big is the group?

thats all I'm saying mate. I have never seen Frank Gilmour ever say anything claiming to be any opinion other than his own ? The same with Mark Jensen.

I'll have to try and dig up some quotes at some point, but I'm certain he has. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head was when he was bemoaning the demise of Local Hero. Regarding Mark Jensen, I don't hve any particular problem with him - I remember him once or twice suggesting fans felt one way or another, but the vast vast majority of the time he only says things that could be construed as his own views, even if they are complete bollocks.

:thup:

To explain what we're getting at NE5, when I did my "daft" interview for Look North, I was captioned as being a member of the "Hitzfeld for the Toon!" Campaign, which I understood and what I said to the interviewer represented the discussions I had with the members of that campaign.

If I had gone on there claiming to be representing the campaign, but said "Lets get Graeme Souness!" - it would have been implied that the other members of the campaign also believed Souness should be the next manager.

I'm only joking mate.

I saw that interview and wouldn't have blamed you if you'd smacked him one for the way they presented it. Not fair at all.

Wahey! Here we go.

So far as I can see, he's just asked for them. The INUSA was borne out of the period when people were moved from their seats to make way for those corporate areas, and its just existed in some form ever since. I don't know what Frank does with regard to it, and to be honest, I'm not really bothered either.

Fair enough if you've got essentially nothing to do with it/him, but I do get bothered by the sense that I and others are being spoken for, especially if I think what is being said is media-friendly, ill-considered tripe. He's given more harmful lines to the cockney press than Ozzie ever could. It contributes to this whole thing of the media thinking we're Geordie idiots, no better than we ought to be and only worth paying attention to when in search of mirth.

If the press asked me for my views, I can honestly say I'd take measures to make sure I didn't cross any lines. That would involve something along the lines of me being referred to as an administrator of a fansite and, if asked to speak for the fans, giving more than one side of the story if necessary. I'd seek to highlight any subjective views, I promise you that.

Wahey! Here we go.

Fair enough if you've got essentially nothing to do with it/him, but I do get bothered by the sense that I and others are being spoken for, especially if I think what is being said is media-friendly, ill-considered tripe. He's given more harmful lines to the cockney press than Ozzie ever could. It contributes to this whole thing of the media thinking we're Geordie idiots, no better than we ought to be and only worth paying attention to when in search of mirth.

If the press asked me for my views, I can honestly say I'd take measures to make sure I didn't cross any lines. That would involve something along the lines of me being referred to as an administrator of a fansite and, if asked to speak for the fans, giving more than one side of the story if necessary. I'd seek to highlight any subjective views, I promise you that.

possibly - and I'll stress that I've never done it either - but I would imagine these things are more difficult than they seem.

Wahey! Here we go.

possibly - and I'll stress that I've never done it either - but I would imagine these things are more difficult than they seem.

Quite probably. We had a problem just recently when some random bloke made hysterical comments on an article on the main site and they got taken up by three papers (makes me suspect it was actually a journalist who wrote them - it was a bit of a coincidence they all quoted this site on the same day...). He was referred as Joe Bloggs 'of Newcastle Online' - he was absolutely nothing to do with us. A fair bit of effort was spent on trying to make the Sun change that on their website.

The thing with Gilmore is it's not as though he was misrepresented once or twice and learnt his lesson. As it is, the guy's essentially faceless - he hasn't made that reasonable excuse to anyone I know of. I can't change what he says or stop him saying it, and drowning him out wouldn't be at all easy as he's a media personality, now. That's where the frustration kicks in.

Wahey! Here we go.

But we know Mark Jensen by assosciation with The Mag, which we've all heard of and probably occasionally read.

However who has heard of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters Association, what is it, and, by association once more, who the fuck is Frank Gilmour?

I've never heard of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters Association except when it appears before or after Frank Gilmours name. Yet one is forced to assume that the Independent Newcastle United Supporters Association must be really big and well known as every member of the press corp has Frank Gilmours phone number.

I'm wasting my time, aren't I?

Wahey! Here we go.

But we know Mark Jensen by assosciation with The Mag, which we've all heard of and probably occasionally read.

However who has heard of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters Association, what is it, and, by association once more, who the fuck is Frank Gilmour?

I've never heard of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters Association except when it appears before or after Frank Gilmours name. Yet one is forced to assume that the Independent Newcastle United Supporters Association must be really big and well known as every member of the press corp has Frank Gilmours phone number.

I'm wasting my time, aren't I?

;D

I don't know how you join mate, I'm not a member, although I did sympathise with the saveourseats campaign.