Keegan. Yesterday's man ?

Benwell Lad

Yesterday's man or not what he was doing for us was working, he seemed to know exactly what he was doing and our team was going from strength to strength, if it ain't broke don't fix it, the likes of Ferguson and Wenger are managing their team the same way they were doing since 10-15 years ago, and its still regarded as the best in the world.

Wrong place at the wrong time.

Ashley ended up giving the fans what they wanted in KK, but that was never going to be compatible with his restructuring plans for the club.  He let his heart and his desire to be popular rule his head and as a successful business man he should have known better.

Interesting point made about the football improving this season.

Where exactly did you see that?

A draw at OT against a severely under-strength Man Utd side - Good result

A very fortunate victory against a well organised Bolton team that shot themselves in the foot.

Taken to extra time by a mediocre championship team in the cup

and pissed on from a great height by a current top 4 team that gave us a huge lesson in football.

Yep, a great bloody improvement.,

You mean the massive strengthening of the team by the great new setup isn't actually as big of as an improvement on what we had before as people are saying? For the first time, I agree with you.

I love all the speculation despite the fact we know nothing. Yes, yes we'd all love to think Ashley and Wise are the Villains of the peice and poor Kevin was hung out-to-dry. What exactly are we basing that on? I know exactly what your basing it on. Kevin Keegan, an icon to our fans has resigned and you want someone to blame.

That's the sad thing about this whole mess what you don't realise is both parties had the best intrests of this club at heart. They were both trying to push this club forward, but both had very different ideas about how to do it.

All I know is Kevin Keegan has resigned and left us in a complete mess. I'm not saying I blame him, or wouldn't have done the same, but you can't deny his acts were nothing more than selfish. So before you go trying to point the finger of blame, just remember who exactly got us into this s*** hole in the first place.

Yes, I saw all the league games but not the cup match. We did play well against MU at OT but it still took Given and the crossbar to stop them from winning.

Dont forget this, they were already depleted before Carrick and Giggs went off injured and they brought on a couple of kids and O'Shea who would struggle to make our reserve team.

Against Bolton, we created little and if I remember that stats, Bolton had more shots on goal and more corners during the game. If it was not for the penalty save, I think we all agree that we would have been lucky to get a draw.

Arsenal was instantly forgettable.

Remember this, out of 21 games in charge, Keegan only won 6 which is roughly 29%. Continue with those stats and we would be fighting relegation, no matter how pretty our football looked.

Guest Sniffer

Consider the team KK inherited. You seem to forget the context of those games and the fact we were playing much better and steadily improving.

Fergie didn't sign Ronaldo. Some Man United players suggested that he should be watched, so Man United sent a team out to watch him. They recommended to Ferguson that they should sign him, so Fergie (without watching him) told them to do it.

That's exactly the way a club should be run. If we believe everything we've heard then both parties are to blame here. Keegan for not accepting that this is the way things should be done, and the club for not listening to Keegan when he refused certain players.

The biggest mistake was bringing Keegan in in the first place, seeing that the club wanted to go in this direction. Everyone could see it would never work.

I love all the speculation despite the fact we know nothing. Yes, yes we'd all love to think Ashley and Wise are the Villains of the peice and poor Kevin was hung out-to-dry. What exactly are we basing that on? I know exactly what your basing it on. Kevin Keegan, an icon to our fans has resigned and you want someone to blame.

That's the sad thing about this whole mess what you don't realise is both parties had the best intrests of this club at heart. They were both trying to push this club forward, but both had very different ideas about how to do it.

Okay, so we're basing our opinions on speculation, but your statement of fact is based on what exactly? Are you an ITK?

All I know is Kevin Keegan has resigned and left us in a complete mess. I'm not saying I blame him, or wouldn't have done the same, but you can't deny his acts were nothing more than selfish. So before you go trying to point the finger of blame, just remember who exactly got us into this s*** hole in the first place.

The man who appointed him only 8 months ago?

Sniffer

Quite possibly, but look at the teams we have beaten during his time here.

Sunderland, Fulham, Reading, Bolton and a disinterested Spurs. It hardly fills you with a great deal of confidence. Take into account the thrashings handed out to us by Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Everton and Chelsea and what does this tell you.

With or without Keegan, we are a million miles away from the top 8 at present.

Guest Sniffer

So you expected him to walk in, wave a magic wand and correct the shite allardyce had put in place overnight? Last season was a dog, this season had much more potential but required as KK said, better players. I believe he was well on his way to achieving this and would have done with ashley's support. IMO, there was a concerted effort by the cockney twats to prevent him.

Okay, so we're basing our opinions on speculation, but your statement of fact is based on what exactly? Are you an ITK?

It's common sense mate. You really think Ashley put this "system" in place to try and hold the club back and have a laugh at the fans. You really think Keegan wanted nothing more than to take this club back to the heights? If they weren't do you really think they would have bothered?

The man who appointed him only 8 months ago?

Yeah, I think he made a mistake bringing Keegan in and then introducing this board structure we now have, sooner or later they were always going to be on collision course. However if Keegan really had unfinished buisness, if he really, really wanted to take this club where he thought it so rightly belongs, do you think he'd have just walked out? No, he'd have scrapped tooth and nail to get what he wanted. Instead he didn't, he simply engineered his way out of the situation.

I'm boycotting everything that Ashley could profit from in protest. Games, shirts, stores etc.   :dave:

:angry:  I hugely disagree with what they have done in forcing Keegan out, so i would feel hypocritical supporting Ashley & Wise. If bloody Wise takes over as manager that will be the clingon on top of the shit.

Can't see a really decent manager wanting no control over players comings and goings anyway. Just selling who they like. What a mess they've made of it. Maybe its Ashley's way of advertising in order to sell more quickly and make his quick profit.

I'm hoping Ashley sells quick (that Indian chap sounds just the ticket) and someone reinstalls Keegan as manager.  O0

No, no magic wands required. I fully understood the situation he came into.

Hopwever, we still had a quality squad last year, certainly quality enough to avoid a relegation battle and it did take him 8 games to get his first victory. We played some poor quality football during that period and the system he stumbled across by default in the second half of the Birmingham away game saved his bacon.

I think it is generally agreed by most on here that whilst the squad needs some further acquisitions, the quality is better than last year. However, I havent seen anything in the three games so far to merit anything more than midtable mediocrity this season, even before Keegan resigned. Certainly, the performances have been nothing to shout from the rooftops about other than a spirited effort against a weakened MU.

Hopefully, these latest two lads will prove to be assets.

I'm boycotting everything that Ashley could profit from in protest. Games, shirts, stores etc.   :dave:

:angry:  I hugely disagree with what they have done in forcing Keegan out, so i would feel hypocritical supporting Ashley & Wise. If bloody Wise takes over as manager that will be the clingon on top of the shit.

Can't see a really decent manager wanting no control over players comings and goings anyway. Just selling who they like. What a mess they've made of it. Maybe its Ashley's way of advertising in order to sell more quickly and make his quick profit.

I'm hoping Ashley sells quick (that Indian chap sounds just the ticket) and someone reinstalls Keegan as manager.   O0

Keegan might have decided to resign, but I don't think we can say he was 'forced out'. The club have already said they tried to work things through, we know how emotional and volatile KK can be.

What The Prophet says about Feguson is true as well, no manager is the only man involved in player recruitment. Yes, he should have a massive say, but a lot of other things have to be considered as well.

There was fault on both sides here.

IMO, there was a concerted effort by the cockney twats to prevent him.

What would be the motive behind that though? I mean, everyone of Ashley, Wise, Llambias, Jimenez and Vetere benefits if Keegan gets the team playing and the club is a success.

They just had differring views on how to achieve it, and Keegan stuck to his guns.

:angry:  I hugely disagree with what they have done in forcing Keegan out, so i would feel hypocritical supporting Ashley & Wise. If bloody Wise takes over as manager that will be the clingon on top of the s***.

I'm hoping Ashley sells quick (that Indian chap sounds just the ticket) and someone reinstalls Keegan as manager.   O0

Keegan might have decided to resign, but I don't think we can say he was 'forced out'. The club have already said they tried to work things through, we know how emotional and volatile KK can be.

What The Prophet says about Feguson is true as well, no manager is the only man involved in player recruitment. Yes, he should have a massive say, but a lot of other things have to be considered as well.

100% agreed!

I'm boycotting everything that Ashley could profit from in protest. Games, shirts, stores etc.  :dave:

:angry:  I hugely disagree with what they have done in forcing Keegan out, so i would feel hypocritical supporting Ashley & Wise. If bloody Wise takes over as manager that will be the clingon on top of the s***.

I'm hoping Ashley sells quick (that Indian chap sounds just the ticket) and someone reinstalls Keegan as manager.  O0

100% agreed!

They obviously put as much effort into trying to "work things through" with Keegan as they did into signing players like Modric.

Personally I think both sides need to make some sort of concession and meet in the middle somewhere i.e. Keegan has last say over sales and two buys per window and wise and company have say over young players brought in and other two players for window.

Something along those lines would be a better solution. It's a shame they can't meet somewhwere in the middle because I like what both sides are doing for the club.

I honestly think Ashley has NUFC's interests at heart otherwise he wouldn't be such a clever business man that he's made out to be .i.e. Newcastle does well, he makes pots of cash...

Simple isn't it??? :)

Meh, think I've said everything I've got on this, people just have opposite views... my fingers are tired trying to argue the same points.

If it's any consolation I think a lot more agree with you than Sky TV etc, would have us believe Ian.

Cheers, I never posted much until this week, I'm not used to having as many opinions!

I think everyone wants the same anyway, hopefully we will be able to ride out the initial backlash and salvage something with potential from all this.

I'm wondering if I'm too optomistic, but won't be changing over this.

Personally I think both sides need to make some sort of concession and meet in the middle somewhere i.e. Keegan has last say over sales and two buys per window and wise and company have say over young players brought in and other two players for window.

Something along those lines would be a better solution. It's a shame they can't meet somewhwere in the middle because I like what both sides are doing for the club.

I honestly think Ashley has NUFC's interests at heart otherwise he wouldn't be such a clever business man that he's made out to be .i.e. Newcastle does well, he makes pots of cash...

Simple isn't it??? :)

Newcastle stays in the league, reduces the wage bill and doesn't spend much on transfers; he makes pots of cash...

Even simpler and much lower risk isn't it

I honestly believe this whole situation could have been avoided if both sides could have compromise and respected each other's views regarding who comes and who goes. Wise could have said, 'Kev, this Xisco kid might just be the next Viduka. Can we take a chance on him?'. And Kev could have said, 'Look little man, I know Smith and Shola is s***, along with that hot head craze lunatic Barton but let's just keep them at least until Jan. If by then, I can't get them playing well, you can sell them.' Biggest problem was the posturing by both sides imo.

It's also a possibility UV!!

Whichever of the two at least the long term aim could see us grooming some young talent (and perhaps selling it!!) and developing a decent team. It's hard to rationalise but you would think his business objectives override anything else...

Ian W, where do you live? I've noticed a lot of your posts are very balanced (i.e. not pro board, not anti board).

It's just that everyone living in Newcastle, or at least the surrounding area, are united in one thing. They feel betrayed by Ashley and co. The feeling here is incredibly intense.... more so than at any other point in my lifetime. The whole thing has pushed everyone to the edge, and (quite rightly in my opinion) no one can think of a positive slant to put on Ashley and co's handling of this.

As much as I admire your posts for trying to see it both ways, there is very little chance that people will forgive and forget here.

Think you might be right about the geography thing. I'm not in Newcastle, and I blame both sides. I can still see Ashley making the club huge again.