Fans buying the club?

Rob W

Surely it's not a case of buying the club and needing loads of extra cash it's like I said a case of running it like Barca. The fans own the club and are as someone said in here members. As members they get to vote on who runs the club as in the chairman of the club. The club still employes people to look after all aspects of the club and the fans have no say in anything else it's left to the chairman to make the choices. The club then simply is run as it has been for so many years hopefully making a profit however which should be possible with no debts and with a much smaller wage bill now. In fact I have no doubts the club is now running at a profit.

Unless we could locate some seriously wealthy investors who would back such a proposal then I don't think it would be possible to gather enough money to sustain such a business plan. Ashley has already welcomed such investors to put money into the club if they want to - surely if a fan's takeover happened however the really major backers would want more power than those who aren't putting as much in?

Barca have been run like that for years and years now, it's not some overnight thing. If a fan's takeover was to happen it would take some time to really get going and for all we know the club could possibly become successful enough on its own during said time. If that happened what would be the point of having a fan's takeover?

Guest optimistic nit

certainly wouldn't be against the fans having a stake in the club, ala a collected pool of money invested like ashley asked that would give elected representives a voice on the board. we could start saving now, with the money we have left over after buying the new server ;)

certainly wouldn't be against the fans having a stake in the club, ala a collected pool of money invested like ashley asked that would give elected representives a voice on the board. we could start saving now, with the money we have left over after buying the new server ;)

That's a different idea to the one HTT has put forward, and if Ashley is to remain at the club as I imagine he will, I would say a more realistic and constructive one.

True, new server first, place on the board second :lol:

Guest optimistic nit

HTT, you're too idealistic. i'll support the toon whether we're down in league 2 or winning the league, but i want us to do well, so i want us to have money. i would rather we were in the champions league than owned by the fans, put it that way.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT, you're too idealistic. i'll support the toon whether we're down in league 2 or winning the league, but i want us to do well, so i want us to have money. i would rather we were in the champions league than owned by the fans, put it that way.

I see no reason why NUFC can not participate in the CL and be owned by fans at the same time.

50,000 x £ 4,000 = £ 200 million and we can own the club ..........................

It's a kidney each but heyy..............

How tight money is you would be doing really well to get even half of the 50,000 people to put 4 quid in each imo.

Thats almost a weeks money for MO

Surely it's not a case of buying the club and needing loads of extra cash it's like I said a case of running it like Barca. The fans own the club and are as someone said in here members. As members they get to vote on who runs the club as in the chairman of the club. The club still employes people to look after all aspects of the club and the fans have no say in anything else it's left to the chairman to make the choices. The club then simply is run as it has been for so many years hopefully making a profit however which should be possible with no debts and with a much smaller wage bill now. In fact I have no doubts the club is now running at a profit.

This is how envisioned it if at all. I'm not sure how Barca got to that stage though, like did the fans actually make an investment each into the club to buy it at somepoint?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest johnson293

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2008/09/24/toon-supporters-takeover-bid-moves-forward-72703-21890603/

Toon supporters' takeover bid moves forward

Sep 24 2008 by Adam Jupp, Evening Chronicle

THE secretive organisers of a fans takeover bid say their plans are gathering pace.

Businessman and Newcastle United fan Peter Lee, 45, wants 300,000 supporters to invest £1,000 each to raise the cash to buy-out Mike Ashley. Now, he has revealed a mystery donor will add £84m to the coffers once that target is reached through supporters’ pledges.

And Mr Lee, 45, says 1,100 supporters have already said they would be prepared to cough up the cash to oust Mike Ashley from the club.

He has also released details of how the membership structure of fans-owned Toon would be set up. Mr Lee, whose group has the backing of leading sports lawyer Mel Goldberg said: “Basically, there are two categories, owner and member.

“Only owners would get a vote for their £1,000, while members can invest as little as £25 for an annual membership but would get a year of full access to the website. For £100, you would buy 10 years’ membership, with £250 for a lifetime and full online access for duration of your membership.

“People don’t have to just invest as individuals, they can do so as a group of people, who would collectively have a vote on key decisions.

“People have said ‘I have paid for a season ticket already’ and I say ‘brilliant, that’s fantastic.’ However, you have paid to sit in a seat for less than 30 hours of football. I offer you the chance to own the stadium, the seats, the bars, the pitch and even the players. Is that not worth paying the equivalent of £20 a year for 50 years?”

Mr Lee says: “It is entirely possible that any investor could run into the same problems that Lehman Brothers encountered, whether that is through their banking dealings or through downturns in their own business interests. That could lead to them having to pull out after as little as six months, whereas this would simply not happen if the fans were the owners.”

Is he saying the £1000 gets you a season ticket for the next 50 years, and that he is looking for 30,000 people to sign up for this? Because if he is it seems that on top of the obvious problem of having no cash every year to buy players, he is also cutting off a major yearly income in the season tickets.