Who are actually the realistic candidates for manager?

stozo

Just because a manager has clashed with DOF's in other countries, it doesn't mean he is against the system and it doesn't mean he won't think it can work with our lot. You can't just rule managers out for clashing with a board.

To be fair I think I would genuinely question the judgement of Ashley, Wise & Co. if they hired a guy with a history of clashes with a board over transfers if they do indeed want to continue having a say over transfers. It would be a disaster waiting to happen.

Guest Toon Argy

Just because a manager has clashed with DOF's in other countries, it doesn't mean he is against the system and it doesn't mean he won't think it can work with our lot. You can't just rule managers out for clashing with a board.

To be fair I think I would genuinely question the judgement of Ashley, Wise & Co. if they hired a guy with a history of clashes with a board over transfers if they do indeed want to continue having a say over transfers. It would be a disaster waiting to happen.

I think he could be able to work with the current board. The reason is because of him being manager of a National team he doesnt really have much of a say on who he can have in his team.

Doubt Sven would come so soon after joining Mexico.

Could he do both?

I seem to remember Hiddink managing a club while being the boss of Australia.

If Walt Disney was still alive, he could be DOF and his No 1 Protege, Mickey Mouse would be the bus - I mean, Coach....Oh Wait - we HAVE a small, garrulous person on the staff already...!

People like Hiddink , despite being foreign, wouldn't even look at the NUFC set-up ; Sven would if he was stuffed for a job, but only because the money would be handy, so where does that leave your DOF theory?

NOBODY of any stature will want this job if they don't have absolute power over who comes in & who goes out...

Could he do both?

If Walt Disney was still alive, he could be DOF and his No 1 Protege, Mickey Mouse would be the bus - I mean, Coach....Oh Wait - we HAVE a small, garrulous person on the staff already...!

People like Hiddink , despite being foreign, wouldn't even look at the NUFC set-up ; Sven would if he was stuffed for a job, but only because the money would be handy, so where does that leave your DOF theory?

NOBODY of any stature will want this job if they don't have absolute power over who comes in & who goes out...

This DoF and lack of say on transfers is a massive red herring if you ask me, IN MY OPINION if keegans list was suitable and fitted in with the clubs policy we wouldnt be having the problems we face now.  I think it's perfectly viable that a high profile manager would come into this job and have full say on transfers providing they fitted in with the clubs policy, and i can imagine that a current manager would be able to provide a selection of players who would fit in with the policy having been in the game without break.

Could he do both?

:doh:

I wasn't even suggesting Hiddink, I was pointing out he managed a club and a national team at the same time.

This DoF and lack of say on transfers is a massive red herring if you ask me, IN MY OPINION if keegans list was suitable and fitted in with the clubs policy we wouldnt be having the problems we face now.  I think it's perfectly viable that a high profile manager would come into this job and have full say on transfers providing they fitted in with the clubs policy, and i can imagine that a current manager would be able to provide a selection of players who would fit in with the policy having been in the game without break.

You forget that we have no transfer budget, and that our most valuable player will be leaving for free next summer.

You forget that we have no transfer budget, and that our most valuable player will be leaving for free next summer.

True, although to be fair, im just pointing out that this inevitable interference from the DoF is a bit of a red herring. Its like a lot of logic on this board at times, one things happened before so it WILL happen again.

I can see a good manager being our next appointment - hopefull keegan.  ;)

I honestly have no idea who they will appoint. My choice would have been Moyes, but he'll not come under this set up, not in a million years.

Yorkie actually made a great post earlier in this thread (he even refrained from hurling abuse about, well at least for one post :)) about the preference being for a young unknown, wanting to prove themselves, type of manager. He's absolutely right, this is what the club will need under Ashley's set up however if we don't appoint another big name Ashley knows the pressure will rise even further on him, that's why I expect a  big name, probably a has been or someone desperate enough to take it on Martin Jol, may be a good shout but would be a terrible appointment IMO.

I can see it being Coleman  tbh.

Possibly Curbishley or Strachan if we're lucky (yes it's that bad).

I think we all know it's going to be a foreigner.

Let's hope they can speak English.

I honestly have no idea who they will appoint. My choice would have been Moyes, but he'll not come under this set up, not in a million years.

Yorkie actually made a great post earlier in this thread (he even refrained from hurling abuse about, well at least for one post :)) about the preference being for a young unknown, wanting to prove themselves, type of manager. He's absolutely right, this is what the club will need under Ashley's set up however if we don't appoint another big name Ashley knows the pressure will rise even further on him, that's why I expect a  big name, probably a has been or someone desperate enough to take it on Martin Jol, may be a good shout but would be a terrible appointment IMO.

why?  if the new guy knows the score and is comfotable with it, i.e. aligns his transfer targets (not necessarily names) with those of the people in charge then tell me why it couldn't work?  they have this structure a fair bit on the continent don't they?

oh, and all this talk of keegans list that people don't believe - if any of you think for a moment it will have been anywhere near the clubs "policy" then you're dreaming...i honestly think will have been closer to a ronaldinho than a xisco myself

Someone posted earlier (Cant find it)  Tony Mowbray. Its an interesting one - young ambitious manager who likes pass and move attacking football. Would like to see how he would do with a better squad than West Brom

why?  if the new guy knows the score and is comfotable with it, i.e. aligns his transfer targets (not necessarily names) with those of the people in charge then tell me why it couldn't work?  they have this structure a fair bit on the continent don't they?

oh, and all this talk of keegans list that people don't believe - if any of you think for a moment it will have been anywhere near the clubs "policy" then you're dreaming...i honestly think will have been closer to a ronaldinho than a xisco myself

Hey MrM, you're not supposed to disagree with me, we're the miserable bastards, if we don't stick together what hope is there in this world.

If you read Yorkie's post he's talking about a continental young guy, I think. At the end of the day, it's got to be someone who is prepared to work under the structure. That should be the focus for Ashley and his team, not necessarily the name the fans want, not the popular choice, it's got to be a difficult choice and an extremely brave one for Ashley.

If he does go out there and gets that type of guy, then we fans have a responsibility to get totally behind the new guy and move on from the KK era once more. But TBH whoever is brought in needs our backing, I hope the fans don't behave in "but it's not KK" type of way.

Hey MrM, you're not supposed to disagree with me, we're the miserable bastards, if we don't stick together what hope is there in this world.

If you read Yorkie's post he's talking about a continental young guy, I think. At the end of the day, it's got to be someone who is prepared to work under the structure. That should be the focus for Ashley and his team, not necessarily the name the fans want, not the popular choice, it's got to be a difficult choice and an extremely brave one for Ashley.

If he does go out there a get that type of guy, then we fans have a responsibility to get totally behind the new guy and move on from the KK era once more. But TBH whoever is brought in needs our backing, I hope the fans don't behave in "but it's not KK" type of way.

he he true enough mate!

by the way i have said on another thread that people really need to remember appointing KK in the first place was pretty brave - 3 years out the game etc...

i see no reason why he wouldn't do it again, or couldn't

i see the point about continental now, yeah, so granted...there aren't any outstanding brits anyway really - only mowbray but that'd be a bigger gamble than anything else imo

Guest michaelfoster

Using my latest WeeGiE Update here are the unemployed managers atm

Frank Rijkaard (Ned)

Hristo Stoichkov (Bul)

Roberto Mancini (Ita)

Irureta (Esp)

Avrham Grant (Isr)

Ruud Gullit (Ned)

I can see it being Coleman  tbh.

Possibly Curbishley or Strachan if we're lucky (yes it's that bad).

You off your tits or summat?

Not really...just saying i can see the board turning to him. He definately wouldn't be my choice.

You do know why he quit West Ham, yeah?

Because fans were on his back and he wanted to keep some pride as he was goin to get sacked imo.

No, he left because he was being undermined in terms of transfers.

Whether he was undermined or not...the fact of the matter was that he was doing a s*** job and would of got sacked anyway...

Wow... That's Curbiushley sold on me then. He's the man for the job ?  :lol:

Try reading my other comments before you reply to them...

This is the West Ham enjoying their best start in god knows how many years we're talking about now isn't it? and it is that Curbishley that's responsible for that, whom we are talking about here?

Just making sure like.

I wonder who, if anybody, has applied.

Continental managers are different in their outlooks though, which is why they are commonly called coach I would presume. Someone used to working on the team and leaving signings to others would probably accept what's here. Providing the players targeted are the player type the coach asks for. I would presume the coach would be given options and he would have a say on who was brought in, selling players from under you is another thing though.

Anyway, as Newcastle are officially my 2nd team, I just want to say keep away from 'El Presidente' Martinez for the time being..  He will be a top manager one day for a top club (hopefully Newcastle) but not for a few years yet  :celb:

On a completely different note. Isn't it a bit surreal that there is so little attention being paid to who somes in next ?

It's been the sole focus after the previous departures, says a lot about the impact KK has on us all and at the end of this day this lack of attention may be a blessing for the board as they can get on with identfying the right man (or woman, you just never know) to take over.

On a completely different note. Isn't it a bit surreal that there is so little attention being paid to who somes in next ?

It's been the sole focus after the previous departures, says a lot about the impact KK has on us all and at the end of this day this lack of attention may be a blessing for the board as they can get on with identfying the right man (or woman, you just never know) to take over.

Aye, was thinking that exact thing before.

Guest lincolnshire geordie

Keegan is 5-1 second favourite to succeed himself on Ladbrokes, that would be typical Newcastle.

It'll be good if you ask me, it likely mean Ashley out