Jonas Gutierrez

Guest Coubury

Why not bring him off on 60 minutes then for N'Zogbia, to let him run at a tiring backline? ???

I think Geremi would do better later when the opposition are tired, N'Zogbia is younger so should be fitter early on if that makes sense.

I see the logic, aye. I'm not sure it works that way though.

Unless you're just meaning in the speed at which he can get around the pitch anyway (i.e. he can cope better from the start against fresh opposition as he's quicker than most anyway, whereas Geremi doesn't have that luxury and would be better given the advantage of being fresh against tired players).

I see the logic, aye. I'm not sure it works that way though.

Unless you're just meaning in the speed at which he can get around the pitch anyway (i.e. he can cope better from the start against fresh opposition as he's quicker than most anyway, whereas Geremi doesn't have that luxury and would be better given the advantage of being fresh against tired players).

I do mean that way especially as Geremi's always willing to get back and help the defence so he covers a lot of grass.

I'd keep Jonas on the right for now, whilst Zoggy's up for it, because the pace in those two could seriously flatten some of the inferior teams (like Stoke). And i mean he might just be a bit out of form - that's fair enough, he's come into a poxy team from a long injury.

But if he doesn't turn it up a gear then i think it's important to put him in his best position, because he's the sort of player you build your team around, such is his quality. We can't be wasting the talent that he has. If that means ousting Duff/Zog for Geremi then so be it; we need someone with Gezza's delivery in the team anyway with Owen and Viduka both returning.

He was canny today but frustrating at the same time. He goes past 3 players like they're not there on the halfway line but doesn't do the same at the byline - he seems scared to cross the ball, which goes for quite a few of our players. Not enough of our players try to drill the ball low and hard across the six yard box.

Doesn't cut in enough for me either - Charlie had a few occasions where he cut in at the corner of the box and gave himself either a shooting or squaring opportunity which Jonas almost never does.

Guest optimistic nit

He was canny today but frustrating at the same time. He goes past 3 players like they're not there on the halfway line but doesn't do the same at the byline - he seems scared to cross the ball, which goes for quite a few of our players. Not enough of our players try to drill the ball low and hard across the six yard box.

Doesn't cut in enough for me either - Charlie had a few occasions where he cut in at the corner of the box and gave himself either a shooting or squaring opportunity which Jonas almost never does.

he only scored 5 times for mallorca iirc. i think we may just have to accept that this is his game. he's a very unique player and used well he could be absolute dinamite for us. he doesn't do a lot of things wingers do but he does a lot they dont do as well. he;s almost the anti laurent robert.

i dont think he's that out of form, he still does a lot of running and he still goes past players like they aren't even there. we just need to find the best way to utilise his talent.

Thinking about it... it's actually a bit frightening. We could have another N'Zogbia, another Luque, even another Robert in some respects, on our hands here. If we don't let him play to his talents, then we could have another very frustrated player on our hands - who'll ultimately end up a shadow of their former selves. I'm petrified of us giving up on him down the right and sticking him down the middle.

Stoke and Pompey next. If he doesn't improve - get him on that left side.

Thinking about it... it's actually a bit frightening. We could have another N'Zogbia, another Luque, even another Robert in some respects, on our hands here. If we don't let him play to his talents, then we could have another very frustrated player on our hands - who'll ultimately end up a shadow of their former selves. I'm petrified of us giving up on him down the right and sticking him down the middle.

I'd give anything to have another Laurent Robert on our hands.

I know what you mean though. The problem is that the opposition know they can double up on the winger because the central midfield offers fuck all creatively. Jonas and Charlie were both beating their man today but found another man behind him because if it goes to Nicky Butt, he won't exactly cut them apart.

Really pleased to see Jonas, Zog combo, think they can be excellent, particularly pleased to see Zog in the side, although i can see him being dropped agin for Duff becasue i can imagine that Kinnear rates Duffs defensive duties higher than Zogs.

Zog did a couple of thing that showed his value to the team he made to driving runs into the box, i noticed alot that he was passing alot more than he did when he was youger and in actual fact was passing when maybe he should of been running.

Id like them to be more interchangable becasue i think Jonas prefers being on the left but i cant see it happneing, yet antoehr frustraing conundrum for nufc.

Guest optimistic nit

jonas is a lot tougher than those 3 (mentally). i still think he's playing as well as he was when he joined (or nearly as well), but just isn't being used as effectively. he's playing for argentina for christs sake. i don't think we should worry about him just yet.

Cant understand how people can questioning this dude, an Argentine international with skills as far as you can see, just wait when we become and attacking side instead of a defending one, then he will release his dogs

I don't think the majority are questioning him, more where he is being played. He's not shite down the right by any means, but his best work for us has come down the left. When he starts on the right, he gets switched to the left more often than not with bloody Duff coming to the right. If Owen's on the field you may aswell play Geremi right and Jonas left, but personally I like Zog and want to see him given a run. It's all a bit of a headache really.

Needs to be played on the left wing. Beye doesn't offer enough support on the right at the moment so Jonas is always isolated and that's no good.

If we're focusing on lack of support from the FB alone, I think you're neglecting the fact that Enrique gets forward even less than Beye here.

Needs to be played on the left wing. Beye doesn't offer enough support on the right at the moment so Jonas is always isolated and that's no good.

If we're focusing on lack of support from the FB alone, I think you're neglecting the fact that Enrique gets forward even less than Beye here.

That's true. But on the left Jonas can cut in effectively but not so on the right. I guess that's not focusing solely on lack of support from the fb but either Beye has to push forward more or Jonas has to switch wings. I don't even mind Jonas starting on the right then drifting over to the left when Charlie has the ball. Create a 3 v 2 situation against their rm and rb.

That's true. But on the left Jonas can cut in effectively but not so on the right. I guess that's not focusing solely on lack of support from the fb but either Beye has to push forward more or Jonas has to switch wings. I don't even mind Jonas starting on the right then drifting over to the left when Charlie has the ball. Create a 3 v 2 situation against their rm and rb.

I actually think that Jonas cuttingin from the left would actually benefit Enriques attacking side, he'd have so much more space to maybe get in more advanced positions down the left.

I actually think that Jonas cuttingin from the left would actually benefit Enriques attacking side, he'd have so much more space to maybe get in more advanced positions down the left.

It also left us a bit vulnerable a couple of times where he wondered over to the left and Beye was left one against two when we lost possession.

It also left us a bit vulnerable a couple of times where he wondered over to the right and Enrique was left one against two when we lost possession.

thats when clever midfielders  get into a position they can help out and also cover if need be (see sellars,lee and speed)

Guest neesy111

I'd give anything to have another Laurent Robert on our hands.

I know what you mean though. The problem is that the opposition know they can double up on the winger because the central midfield offers fuck all creatively. Jonas and Charlie were both beating their man today but found another man behind him because if it goes to Nicky Butt, he won't exactly cut them apart.

same here, we didn't realise how important robert was until he had gone

Ok. This lad is fairly ineffective.

Granted his assist today was good but otherwise he was absolutely useless.

Totally overated at the mo.

I thought he was excellent first half. Kept the ball really well and always looked dangerous.

Disappeared second half with everyone else.

Seriously Dave, where has his good games been?

Man Utd ? Villa? Other than that he's quite bad.

I've seen his games and generally Jonas is terrible.

Discuss.