So who's going to buy the club?

Dave

Guest johnson293

"BBC Sport understands"... heard that one before. Bullshi...

Aye - Just what was in this mornings papers, isn't it?

Hardly Breaking News!

Guest Gallowgate Mag

to be fair, what they 'understand', is usually correct, unlike sky's

26th January 2008: Newcastle poised to sign Woodgate

I wont believe anything until it's confirmed by the club. In fact, even them I wont believe it.

I believe nothing.

(Except for the above statement. So I guess I belive something, making the statement above false.......ahhh bollocks)

The BBC get more right than anyone else to be fair. I don't understand this though, "Keegan may be offered a 5% stake in the club", so that is basically £15m for him to come back? It would be lunacy!! ???

The BBC get more right than anyone else to be fair. I don't understand this though, "Keegan may be offered a 5% stake in the club", so that is basically £15m for him to come back? It would be lunacy!! ???

I think its a clever way of pinning keegan to the club.  May make it harder for him to walk again if he ownes a steak in the club.  Perhaps he will have a greater say what goes on at the club, if so  :thup:

Crazy when you think of it in those terms, but it would show that they intend to give KK a role at the club, both as manager and beyond...

I think its a clever way of pinning keegan to the club.  May make it harder for him to walk again if he ownes a steak in the club.  Perhaps he will have a greater say what goes on at the club, if so  :thup:

You think giving him a share in the club worth £15 million is clever?

to be fair, what they 'understand', is usually correct, unlike sky's

26th January 2008: Newcastle poised to sign Woodgate

I wont believe anything until it's confirmed by the club. In fact, even them I wont believe it.

I believe nothing.

(Except for the above statement. So I guess I belive something, making the statement above false.......ahhh bollocks)

they were right though? we were poised to sign him

South African group in pole position to get Newcastle

Jewellery billionare Johann Rupert changes mind on owning British club

Those hoping for clarity at Newcastle United thought they found some yesterday. It is 18 days since Mike Ashley put the club up for sale and there have been almost as many theoretical buyers in that period, but that is because there are several credible interested parties and some names were put on the South African consortium yesterday.

It appears to be ahead of others in rivalling unknown groups in China and America in completing a purchase that Ashley hopes could be done within six weeks.

In sporting terms, and perhaps economically, Johann Rupert is the most significant figure to have emerged. Rupert has been described as South Africa's richest man. Two other names that have surfaced are Brian Joffe and Vivian Imerman. It was claimed yesterday that a bid of £280m has been lodged already by the collective and that their first aim would be to restore Kevin Keegan to his post as manager and offer him a share in the club, much as the five percent shareholding Peter Reid had at Sunderland.

But Keegan, just returned from a break in America, has not yet received even third party contact from this group, whereas it is understood the Nigerian consortium fronted by Chris Nathaniel have been in touch with Keegan and those close to him. Partly due to the noise they have created, the Nigerians are not being treated as seriously as the South Africans. If Rupert is a key player, then that would explain why.

A 58-year-old billionaire based in Stellenbosch, Rupert has made his fortune from jewellery and telecommunications among other things. He was linked to a possible £50m purchase of Blackburn Rovers last June but rejected any connection emphatically, saying at the time: "You can never, ever show a return on a football/soccer team in the UK."

However, that was in regard to being a sole purchaser whereas the mooted South African consortium offers shared financial responsibility. Rupert is known in British sport via his background ownership of rugby club Saracens – in March one of his companies, VenFin, purchased a stake in the holding company that owns Saracens, Premier Team Holdings – and also because four years ago he and other South African businessmen and rugby players proposed the creation of a new club that would represent South Africans in London.

The Rugby Football Union were unwilling to allow the "London Tribe" immediate access to the top divisions of English rugby and so the idea withered. A spokesman for Saracens said he was unaware of which or any games Rupert has attended at Vicarage Road, where Saracens share Watford's ground.

One of Saracens' players is Michael Owen and at Newcastle it would be the same. Newcastle Owen's contract is sure to be different though, and is in need of extending or he will leave for nothing next summer.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/south-african-group-in-pole-position-to-get-newcastle-948465.html

Sounds like South Africa's answer to Mike Ashley.

His mate brought Micah Richards through his Brazilian soccer school, we don't need money.

Could be share options ?

http://www.egos.co.uk/FAQ/csop.htm

This FAQ may be of particular interest to the company in a situation of growth, perhaps working towards a flotation which may result in substantial capital gains on the value of its shares.

Often in such a situation the company wishes to cement relations with its key employees, to reduce the risks of being tempted away by competitors in exchange for higher salaries, and to offer an additional reward, contingent on them remaining with the company through the rapid-growth period. Awarding share options - the right to acquire shares at some future date at a price that is fixed now - can be a very useful way to help achieve that objective.

The big attraction is that, apart from the relatively low costs of setting up the scheme, it costs the company virtually nothing. The reward received by the employee is the right to acquire shares tomorrow, at a price fixed by reference to today's value.

If the company is floated, then the employee whose options have 'vested' (ie who now has the right to exercise the option and actually buy the shares) will often buy and sell them simultaneously - so (s)he will never actually have to put up any money before (s)he can realise the gain.

The employee has the hope of a substantial gain in the value of the shares, before the employee actually has to make a commitment to buy them - and the knowledge that his/her commitment and contribution to the company will influence the extent of that gain in value.

If the shares do gain value and the employee exercises the option and makes money, who will end up having paid? Those to whom the shares are eventually sold. And, to a minor extent, the value of the holdings of other shareholders will have been diluted. But compared to paying more money now, this is likely to be a far more acceptable price to pay.

Guest Gallowgate Mag

I question the judgement of anyone wanting to buy NUFC.

I question the judgement of anyone, with the sufficient cash and ambition, not wanting to buy NUFC.

I question the judgement of anyone wanting to buy NUFC.

I would if i had a spare billion, i would be convinced i could turn it around(everyone on here thinks they know exactly what the club should be doing remember), these blokes are probably the same.

If I was a multi-billionaire I could see myself buying the club. After all, what fan wouldn't want to own it?

Shame its all consortium's that are looking at it as a business venture.

Besides, you are a fan of the club, therefore by default there's something mentally wrong with you.

In all honesty I reckon neither the South Africans or Nigerians will end up with the club. They are making alot of noise but I think they will get outbid by the Chinese or Yanks.

The Boks bid is intriguing, Clifford would be a great addition, I think its still far from cut and dried Keegan will be able to come back.

No buyer will want to pay Keegans 8m comp for him I think it depends on whether he will drop his case to come back.

You think giving him a share in the club worth £15 million is clever?

The amount is almost irrelevant IMO.  The simple fact they feel the need to tie him to the club in this way essentially means they have serious doubts about his motivations and willingness to see the job through.