Have we (the fans) massively overplayed our hand?

stozo

So the fans that protested so openly and desperately wanted Ashley out are now complaining that he didn't show a bit more backbone and put up more of a fight?  Priceless.

Eh? I'm the one who said that, and I didn't protest as I wasn't at the game.

So the fans that protested so openly and desperately wanted Ashley out are now complaining that he didn't show a bit more backbone and put up more of a fight?  Priceless.

Yes, we are all the same person, it's genetic, we have no personality or opinions of our own, it's a hive mind.

Not you of course, you're different.

He'd have to be fucking thick to take his family, let's be fair. I'm sure he'd love watching his son or daughter shrinking under a barrage of abuse.

He was fucking thick to take them in the first place then, if he thought that he wouldn't come in for some shit at some point.

Newsflash - fans care about what happens at their club, certainly more than businessmen with no ties to the place whatsoever.

Well good luck on the fans bid to buy the shares then. Because if they don't:

NEWSFLASH: we are going to need a businessmen with no ties to the place to buy it   :pow:

I'm not saying we don't. Just making the point that by sitting with the fans he was always going to come to a point at which the feeling was more than a little hostile towards him, and he had to stop doing it. It was inevitable, but he's making out that there's something out of the ordinary that he's not Mr. Popular any more.

he can't go to the games anymore incase people assault him

Do you honestly believe that? When he's been to games before, he's been surrounded by minders and even the police confirmed that they hadn't advised him not to go to games. It's a kop out on Ashley's part and also gives insight into his view of Newcastle fans.

The above was a lame excuse and the gutless b****** knows it.

Getting to the point, the sooner he is gone the better.  IMO he has been looking for offers for a while.  He has failed in reading the running of the club and his lack of investment in the playing side has badly let fans down.  Those same fans he persuaded to pay for the next 3 seasons.  He has rapped in to easily and appears to be looking to make his 50 sovereigns.  Though the longer this debacle goes on, he can kiss goodbye to his £280m.  Maybe the question should be has Ashley massively overplayed his own hand in buying NUFC?

that he wants out at the first sign of trouble suggests it is for the best that he sells up. if he can do this quickly we'll come out of this fine. it is this state of limbo that is damaging us, we can't move forward or put the past behind us until the ownership is sorted. either he sells up quickly or does a Shepherd and sticks through it, though i'd imagine it's too late for that now that he's came out in public and said he's no longer willing to put money in.

i'm sure there's enough interested parties out there willing to give him his money back. if he is holding out for a profit there's a chance he'll end up losing money as he sells a club facing relegation.

I didn't actually mean you specifically Dave hence why I didn't quote you :)  There are several people in this thread who think he effectively bottled it, when all he was doing was giving the fans who protested what they wanted.

He'd have to be fucking thick to take his family, let's be fair. I'm sure he'd love watching his son or daughter shrinking under a barrage of abuse.

He was fucking thick to take them in the first place then, if he thought that he wouldn't come in for some shit at some point.

Newsflash - fans care about what happens at their club, certainly more than businessmen with no ties to the place whatsoever.

Well good luck on the fans bid to buy the shares then. Because if they don't:

NEWSFLASH: we are going to need a businessmen with no ties to the place to buy it   :pow:

I'm not saying we don't. Just making the point that by sitting with the fans he was always going to come to a point at which the feeling was more than a little hostile towards him, and he had to stop doing it. It was inevitable, but he's making out that there's something out of the ordinary that he's not Mr. Popular any more.

I'm surprised this is coming from you Dave you are usually more level-headed. I saw Ashley with his kids at the football match and they all looked like they were loving it proudly wearing their toon tops. I'm sure if he'd had the benefit of hindsight he'd have made sure they didn't do that, but then he's not Mystic Meg with a crystal ball is he?

Do you honestly believe that? When he's been to games before, he's been surrounded by minders and even the police confirmed that they hadn't advised him not to go to games. It's a kop out on Ashley's part and also gives insight into his view of Newcastle fans.

Getting to the point, the sooner he is gone the better.  IMO he has been looking for offers for a while.  He has failed in reading the running of the club and his lack of investment in the playing side has badly let fans down.  Those same fans he persuaded to pay for the next 3 seasons.  He has rapped in to easily and appears to be looking to make his 50 sovereigns.  Though the longer this debacle goes on, he can kiss goodbye to his £280m.  Maybe the question should be has Ashley massively overplayed his own hand in buying NUFC?

He certainly seems to have walked into it blind, being a maverick businessman is one thing, but with that sort of cash involved you'd want to take some care over what you're getting involved with. It makes me think of a middle-aged man buying a Porche and not checking if it's got an engine.

Well I'm sure there is a consortium of local businessmen ready to step in with a bid even as we speak.

I'm surprised this is coming from you Dave you are usually more level-headed. I saw Ashley with his kids at the football match and they all looked like they were loving it proudly wearing their toon tops. I'm sure if he'd had the benefit of hindsight he'd have made sure they didn't do that, but then he's not Mystic Meg with a crystal ball is he?

I was never bothered about it at the time, I'll openly admit that.

All I'm saying is that with hindsight (I know...) it was never going to last. Especially when he appointed possibly the only man who would turn 99% of the fans against him if something went wrong. And at Newcastle something ALWAYS goes wrong. :undecided:

I didn't actually mean you specifically Dave hence why I didn't quote you :)  There are several people in this thread who think he effectively bottled it, when all he was doing was giving the fans who protested what they wanted.

I dont see Ashley as the type of person that just gives things to people just because they want something and at the first time of asking. Not much of a negotiator is he :

Fans : Sell the club Mike

Miek : OK

All I'm saying is that with hindsight (I know...) it was never going to last. Especially when he appointed possibly the only man who would turn 99% of the fans against him if something went wrong. And at Newcastle something ALWAYS goes wrong. :undecided:

In that case if and when the club is taken over, I hope we don't hear anyone clamouring for Shearer as manager, just in case it goes wrong...

In that case if and when the club is taken over, I hope we don't hear anyone clamouring for Shearer as manager, just in case it goes wrong...

If Ashley "loved" being at the match and being part of the "Toon Army", how come he didnt make any visible effort to calm the brewing storm that culminated in the disaster at the Hull match.

He has plenty of time to talk to the fans to calm things down but he chose to keep quiet.