Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The odds on Terry Venables becoming the next Newcastle manager have been slashed following significant interest in the former England manager.

SkyBet have cut Venables's odds from 33/1 down to 2/1 following a 'significant gamble' on him taking over at St James's Park, while VC Bet now rate him at 7/2, having previously priced him up at 28/1.

SkyBet spokeswoman Helen Jacob said: "The money started coming in at around 10.30am on Wednesday. We saw a flurry of three-figure bets and quickly had to take evasive action as the liabilities piled up."

Newcastle were last week thought to be looking at bringing in an experienced 'stop-gap' manager to take control while the ownership of the club is cleared up, with Alan Curbishley and David O'Leary mentioned as possible candidates.

Reports on Sunday suggested Venables had been offered the post, but turned it down.

Kevin Keegan is still remarkably the favourite for the job with many bookmakers, while the names of Gus Poyet, Gerard Houllier and Alan Shearer are all still in the frame.

:suicide:

Guest Darth Toon

Lad on the betfair forum reckons the price has fallen because he's been spotted in Newcastle - probably just there to commentate on the match tonight.

Guest icemanblue

I thought betting meant nothing now?

Dear God, I find it hard to keep up with you lot.

It doesn't really. We were overdue a new thread.

:lol:

Fair play.

Got a pretty decent record with teams as interim manager. Very confident he'd be willing to take the role on an interim basis.

would take him.

What like at Boro? where he had a lower win percentage than Roeder, Fat Sam and Souness.

Got a pretty decent record with teams as interim manager. Very confident he'd be willing to take the role on an interim basis.

would take him.

What like at Boro? where he had a lower win percentage than Roeder, Fat Sam and Souness.

Worse than that, his record at Boro was no better than Bryan Robson.

would take him.

To be fair his job was survival and he managed that in an interim capacity at Boro, i actually think that at leeds he did insanely well to keep them up with what was going on at that club, was made a scapegoat there though.

Lad on the betfair forum reckons the price has fallen because he's been spotted in Newcastle - probably just there to commentate on the match tonight.

Maybe he is working as a consultant for the Nigerian bid or he could even be heading up a rival bid.

*shudder*

A Terry Venables anecdote: my mate was in the video for the song he did for the 2002 world cup, it was shot on an open top bus in London with loads of student musicians filling in as extras/band in the background. There were loads of lads on the bus mucking about but half of them got off during the shoot as they couldnt be arsed to hang around any longer. My mate stayed on to finish the shoot.

He still says today that after the birth of his daughter, the proudest moment of his life was being told that he was "one of my 90 minute men" by Terry for sticking around to finish the job.