Terry Venables turned down chance to manage Newcastle in 2008

Guest Chubby Jason
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What I will say is this: if Venables was seriously interested in taking this job, he should have been offered a worthwhile contract, it would have been worth the cost. He is one of the few available managers capable of turning this round. George Graham and Hoddle are names that fill me with dread. I can't imagine players being lifted by their arrival, I can only hope the fact Venables wasn't offered a longer deal points to the fact a sale isn't far off.

Can't believe folk are still blaming the reaction of the fans? The club (whoever it has been ran by) has taken the piss out of us for years and people had finally had enough with the latest debacle. No protests mean that you have to accept how your club is ran and also be prepared to take what you are served with. That's what's happened for the last 40/50 years and look what it's got us - 1 Fairs Cup when it should have been a lot more.

What did the protests achieve exactly? All it did was provoke Ashley into publicly putting the club up for sale, which has left us in limbo. If it had never happened we may have had a new manager by now. Quite a few of us said protests would make the situation worse, don't shoot us for being right.

Good post.

If the fans' protests secured Ashley's departure, what would be the obection to that?

I think you need to re-read what I've quoted as a good post as it has nothing to do with your question.

You don't understand why you said the post was good then.

No, I think I do :idiot2:

Let somebody

Can't believe folk are still blaming the reaction of the fans? The club (whoever it has been ran by) has taken the piss out of us for years and people had finally had enough with the latest debacle. No protests mean that you have to accept how your club is ran and also be prepared to take what you are served with. That's what's happened for the last 40/50 years and look what it's got us - 1 Fairs Cup when it should have been a lot more.

What did the protests achieve exactly? All it did was provoke Ashley into publicly putting the club up for sale, which has left us in limbo. If it had never happened we may have had a new manager by now. Quite a few of us said protests would make the situation worse, don't shoot us for being right.

Good post.

If the fans' protests secured Ashley's departure, what would be the obection to that?

I think you need to re-read what I've quoted as a good post as it has nothing to do with your question.

You don't.

Good post.

Let somebody

Good post.

You don't.

You will get the hang of it one day.

What I find a little ironic is that all these idiots telling us how KK bottled it and should have  stayed on to fight completely turn a blind eye to Ashley's hissyfit and not willing to fight for what he thinks is right.

That's like saying I'm surprised all of the people backing Keegan for walking out because he wasn't happy are not backing Ashley for doing the same.

It's a pointless comparison.

OK here's a simple couple of question please try to just answer yes or no.

Was keegan right to walk out and not fight what what he believed in ?

Was Ashley right to say he wants to walk away and not fight for what he believes in ?

What I find a little ironic is that all these idiots telling us how KK bottled it and should have  stayed on to fight completely turn a blind eye to Ashley's hissyfit and not willing to fight for what he thinks is right.

That's like saying I'm surprised all of the people backing Keegan for walking out because he wasn't happy are not backing Ashley for doing the same.

Was Ashley right to say he wants to walk away and not fight for what he believes in ?

Actually I know how you'll answer..... but, but, but it's not the same, of course it fucking is.

What I will say is this: if Venables was seriously interested in taking this job, he should have been offered a worthwhile contract, it would have been worth the cost. He is one of the few available managers capable of turning this round. George Graham and Hoddle are names that fill me with dread. I can't imagine players being lifted by their arrival, I can only hope the fact Venables wasn't offered a longer deal points to the fact a sale isn't far off.

Hoddle's not that bad imo, but a bit of a wet blanket so probably not the best for this situation. would like to see Viduka's face as the faith healers walk into the treatment room instead of the physio.

If you're not happy then I don't blame either for walking away, the main difference for me is their timing.

Hoddle's not that bad imo, but a bit of a wet blanket so probably not the best for this situation. would like to see Viduka's face as the faith healers walk into the treatment room instead of the physio.

Hoddle is not a man who inspires players, he spends far too much time telling everyone about his own dubious qualities. If he comes here I think we'll go down.

If you're not happy then I don't blame either for walking away, the main difference for me is their timing.

So how is Ashley's timing any better than KK's ? The issuing of that statement was perhaps the stupidest thing he's done, left the club in the state of limbo that we are today, it's been three weeks since he left no manager yet and just been turned down by Terry fucking Vegatables !

KK may well have thought, look it's only fair to give them to the close of the transfer window to see if they are going to make good. You could argue that he gave them every chance to prove themselves and they failed. And if you've watched any of the last 3 games the player recruitment team sure did fail.

as well as Articles in Germany suggests there was some truth in it

?

There was some posted on here iirc, nothing with quotes or anything but they said we had moved for him before it had been picked up in the tabloids over here.

I never heard anything down here from any respectable source (and my local paper is from Munich and normally quite well informed). There might have been interest, yes, but from what I know from reports down here a deal was rather unlikely. Therefore I especially do not believe the story (NOTW version IIRC) that Bayern actually had agreed a fee and it was Schweinsteiger who turned us down.

The whole Schweinsteiger story looked like a big smokescreen iyam.

So how is Ashley's timing any better than KK's ? The issuing of that statement was perhaps the stupidest thing he's done, left the club in the state of limbo that we are today, it's been three weeks since he left no manager yet and just been turned down by Terry f***ing Vegatables !

KK may well have thought, look it's only fair to give them to the close of the transfer window to see if they are going to make good. You could argue that he gave them every chance to prove themselves and they failed. And if you've watched any of the last 3 games the player recruitment team sure did fail.

Keegan was almost certainly undermined.  Is the club better off for his departure under those circumstances?  No.

Keegan has gone and the fans are boycotting spending money and are demanding that the "Cockney Mafia" go.  Will the club be better off for his departure under those circumstances?  Probably.

as well as Articles in Germany suggests there was some truth in it

?

There was some posted on here iirc, nothing with quotes or anything but they said we had moved for him before it had been picked up in the tabloids over here.

I never heard anything down here from any respectable source (and my local paper is from Munich and normally quite well informed). There might have been interest, yes, but from what I know from reports down here a deal was rather unlikely. Therefore I especially do not believe the story (NOTW version IIRC) that Bayern actually had agreed a fee and it was Schweinsteiger who turned us down.

The whole Schweinsteiger story looked like a big smokescreen iyam.

I have no idea why Bayern would even sell or Schweinsteiger would even leave.  I thought he was something of a cult figure for them already.

So how is Ashley's timing any better than KK's ? The issuing of that statement was perhaps the stupidest thing he's done, left the club in the state of limbo that we are today, it's been three weeks since he left no manager yet and just been turned down by Terry f***ing Vegatables !

Keegan was almost certainly undermined.  Is the club better off for his departure under those circumstances?  No.

Keegan has gone and the fans are boycotting spending money and are demanding that the "Cockney Mafia" go.  Will the club be better off for his departure under those circumstances?  Probably.

I agree with both your points Mick but I'm having a hard time relating them to the labling of "KK the bottler" and poor little Ashley whose been forced out.

So how is Ashley's timing any better than KK's ? The issuing of that statement was perhaps the stupidest thing he's done, left the club in the state of limbo that we are today, it's been three weeks since he left no manager yet and just been turned down by Terry fucking Vegatables !

KK's comments suggest he walked because he couldn't work with a situation where players were bought without his say, yet he's already mentioned how they brought in Jonas under similar circumstances, if he wasn't happy with it then he should have gone then, he didn't though and left at a time that has hurt us the most.

Ashley's statement was naive and has played a big part in us being in the mess we're currently in, most people are happy to accept that he wants out though so don't see it as anything like Keegan leaving.

KK's comments suggest he walked because he couldn't work with a situation where players were bought without his say, yet he's already mentioned how they brought in Jonas under similar circumstances, if he wasn't happy with it then he should have gone then, he didn't though and left at a time that has hurt us the most.

Ashley's statement was naive and has played a big part in us being in the mess we're currently in, most people are happy to accept that he wants out though so don't see it as anything like Keegan leaving.

Agreed.

If he'd walked then and Ashley had decided to sell up, we could well have been bought out by the Abu Dhabi lot.

:angry:

Guest johnson293

Apologies if its already been mentioned, but while out in the car earlier tonight, had Century on ...yeah, i know??!!

That is where I first heard about 'El Tel' turning us down.

However, Rodney Marsh was on, having a right old chinwag with Mac about the 70's - but he claimed he had heard from people close to Venables, that he was actually approached about the Newcastle job from a 3rd party acting on behalf of Ashley & Co. and it was more of an informal 'Would you be interested' than a definite offer.

Allegedly, no-one from Newcastle Utd actually approached him directly to offer him the job - despite what has been claimed about being in talks for the last 2 days.

Not sure how true it is, considering what is being said elsewhere now.

So why hasn't he turned a club around since 1984? Ah you're on a wind up, I see.

Apologies if its already been mentioned, but while out in the car earlier tonight, had Century on ...yeah, i know??!!

That is where I first heard about 'El Tel' turning us down.

However, Rodney Marsh was on, having a right old chinwag with Mac about the 70's - but he claimed he had heard from people close to Venables, that he was actually approached about the Newcastle job from a 3rd party acting on behalf of Ashley & Co. and it was more of an informal 'Would you be interested' than a definite offer.

Allegedly, no-one from Newcastle Utd actually approached him directly to offer him the job - despite what has been claimed about being in talks for the last 2 days.

Not sure how true it is, considering what is being said elsewhere now.

TV was quoted earlier as having met NUFC representatives (from Skysports website, c/o The Sun)

So why hasn't he turned a club around since 1984? Ah you're on a wind up, I see.

If you don't know anything it's best just to shut up.