Venables - From the Horse's Mouth

Golfmag

Just had lunch at the Belfry (British Masters Golf) with Trevor East, Head of Sports for Setanta (yes I told him what we think of them) and ex Sky. He is also one of Venables' best mates. He told me that the ONLY doubt in Terry's mind re taking the job is that he is scared of being seen by us as part of the cockney mafia and therefore slated from the beginning us. I said that in my mind, yes there was hatred towards the current London mafia but I personally thought that we (the fans) wouldn't categorise him in the same way and would accept him, particulalry given the current plight. BTW, I don't know if that is true as haven't read the main Venables thread yet but it's what I believe. So he phoned Venables there and then and let me tell him what I thought!! TV just said thanks and that he appreciated the reassurance. Trevor then told me that that TV was having lunch (around 2pm) with his wife in order to make a decision. He stressed again that it was only fear about our reaction that was the stumbling block.

Please feel free to merge this into another thread and forgive the name dropping but I thought that you would all want to know.

i thought the cockney mafia thing was because they worked in london all the time not because thats where they are from ?

:lol: Which is exactly the level of detail that goes missing from mass demonstrations and placards with simplistic and ill-thought through sound-biting.

Guest bluegeordie

How does van Nistelrooy know what Venables is thinking? Sorry, that's a pathetic attempt at humour.

As for how Venables would be received at St James's, surely he'd be seen as an Arthur-Daley-style "cockney chancer", rather than a made man in the "cockney mafia"?     

an inevitable outcome after the “we hate cockneys” moronic tirade. It’s what those particular cockneys have done, not where they’re from. This ”Geordie Nation” notion is cringeworthy and was always going to implode.

How many times are we going to be exposed to the “he knows nowt ’cos he’s not from the area” tripe? Keegan (Shepherd John Hall, et al) kept saying it whenever he could to appease this fans, who lap it up. Are we now destined to be managed only by ex players who all have to be geordies – then we’re doomed.

an inevitable outcome after the “we hate cockneys” moronic tirade. It’s what those particular cockneys have done, not where they’re from. This ”Geordie Nation” notion is cringeworthy and was always going to implode.

How many times are we going to be exposed to the “he knows nowt ’cos he’s not from the area” tripe? Keegan (Shepherd John Hall, et al) kept saying it whenever he could to appease this fans, who lap it up. Are we now destined to be managed only by ex players who all have to be geordies – then we’re doomed.

That's numberwang!!

That sounds plausible, I could understand his reluctance TBH and although I think you are right he would be accepted. The moment things started to go wrong and performances didn't improve, he would be tarred with the same brush and made a scapegoat.  It's really a shitty situation that we are in, the first thing a new owner will do is sack Wise and start dismantling the so called "Cockney Mafia" to win over the fans. Wise surely knows this so it makes you wonder if Ashley is serious about selling up why Wise or Llambias even care about making an appointment.

That sounds plausible, I could understand his reluctance TBH and although I think you are right he would be accepted. The moment things started to go wrong and performances didn't improve, he would be tarred with the same brush and made a scapegoat.  It's really a shitty situation that we are in, the first thing a new owner will do is sack Wise and start dismantling the so called "Cockney Mafia" to win over the fans. Wise surely knows this so it makes you wonder if Ashley is serious about selling up why Wise or Llambias even care about making an appointment.

They need to have a club to sell at the end of the day.

Whether this is true or not (and it sounds plausible enough), it's exactly what I feared would happen as a result of the amateurish show of strength by the fans ringleaders. I hope True Faith, The Mag and the rest of the rabble rousers are reading this.

I rate Venables as a coach, he's exactly what we need as a short term appointment. I hope him and his wife overcome their doubts and take the opportunity. We need a manager.

That makes no difference to Wise, he doesn't have a stake in it, unless he's promised his good will to Ashley for the support he's given him.

Whether this is true or not (and it sounds plausible enough), it's exactly what I feared would happen as a result of the amateurish show of strength by the fans ringleaders. I hope True Faith, The Mag and the rest of the rabble rousers are reading this.

I rate Venables as a coach, he's exactly what we need as a short term appointment. I hope him and his wife overcome their doubts and take the opportunity. We need a manager.

:clap:

I think it's unfair to blame the fanzines, everyone was a little....hectic a couple of weeks ago, I know of people who weren't taking their kids because they knew how it was going to be. I was fucking livid myself, even cheered the banner which I later realised was silly, people wanted a focus, and that was it. I'm not blaming 'us' btw, just saying there were mistakes made by many parties, supporters included, me, you etc.

Not really a response to you, but I quoted you anyway, we all make mistakes ;)

That makes no difference to Wise, he doesn't have a stake in it, unless he's promised his good will to Ashley for the support he's given him.

Maybe Wise, whatever his faults, is the sort of man that does the job to the best of his ability and sees it through no matter how hard to going gets?  And maybe other people could learn from that.

I think it's unfair to blame the fanzines, everyone was a little....hectic a couple of weeks ago, I know of people who weren't taking their kids because they knew how it was going to be. I was fucking livid myself, even cheered the banner which I later realised was silly, people wanted a focus, and that was it. I'm not blaming 'us' btw, just saying there were mistakes made by many parties, supporters included, me, you etc.

I don't blame fans for being livid at what happened, but those who supposedly speak for the fans have an extra responsibilty. If you are going to organise and set up protests in the name of the fans, through publications and in print, at least you should think through the consequences.

I think it's unfair to blame the fanzines, everyone was a little....hectic a couple of weeks ago, I know of people who weren't taking their kids because they knew how it was going to be. I was f***ing livid myself, even cheered the banner which I later realised was silly, people wanted a focus, and that was it. I'm not blaming 'us' btw, just saying there were mistakes made by many parties, supporters included, me, you etc.

I think thats a very fair statement tbh, everyone will come out of this whole mess not looking particuarily good. Lets hope that day comes soon and we can save this season from absolute disaster.

I don't blame fans for being livid at what happened, but those who supposedly speak for the fans have an extra responsibilty. If you are going to organise and set up protests in the name of the fans, through publications and in print, at least you should think through the consequences.

Perhaps so, but they're not professional journalists, just supporters who happen to write about it, carried along with the rest of us who lost our rags a bit, the important thing is that the future is more important than the (recent) past.

I have nothing to do with any publication before you ask, only rarely read either.