A club's soul.

James

Heard a rather intersesting comment from a Smoggie tonight.

Basically, English clubs have a soul, but the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City have sold theirs.

He's very happy about how Gibson has built a club with soul, i.e. local talent playing in the PL.

Despite me pointing out that half of Boro's academy are Geordies, he feels that he'd rather get relegated than Steve Gibson sell up as his club hasn't sold it's soul.

Have clubs really forgotten what is important? Is the togetherness of fans and players and the shirt more important than results? Do trophies really matter?

Guest Gallowgate Mag

Basically, English clubs have a soul, but the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City have sold theirs.

He's very happy about how Gibson has built a club with soul, i.e. local talent playing in the PL.

Despite me pointing out that half of Boro's academy are Geordies, he feels that he'd rather get relegated than Steve Gibson sell up as his club hasn't sold it's soul.

Have clubs really forgotten what is important? Is the togetherness of fans and players and the shirt more important than results? Do trophies really matter?

Load of shite. Have Pompey, West Ham etc sold their soul? They're both owned by foreign owners, just not multi billionaires.

The soul of a club always will be the fans.

Load of shite. Have Pompey, West Ham etc sold their soul? They're both owned by foreign owners, just not multi billionaires.

The soul of a club always will be the fans.

So Chelsea have no soul then. Their fan base has changed massively over the last 10-15 years

Chelsea sold their "soul" when they became Chelski. Not because they became the richest club in the world, but because of all the glory hunting football tourists that started invading Stamford Bridge that do nothing to cheer on the players, as most of them don't even know a bloody word English other than "Ai Sooportttt Chelskee, ja?"

The soul of a club is the fans. And the day there's no more fans singing in the stands, but it's still a packed stadium. Then you can say a club has lost its soul.

Chelsea sold their "soul" when they became Chelski. Not because they became the richest club in the world, but because of all the glory hunting football tourists that started invading Stamford Bridge that do nothing to cheer on the players, as most of them don't even know a bloody word English other than "Ai Sooportttt Chelskee, ja?"

The soul of a club is the fans. And the day there's no more fans singing in the stands, but it's still a packed stadium. Then you can say a club has lost its soul.

No one gave a shit about Chelsea before Abramovich turned them into a leading light. Where would Chelsea be today without his money?

interesting question. We had people running the club once, who trumpeted about their local heritage. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't want it because they found it "embarrassing" and insisted we would be better with someone else.

Next season we may well be embarrassingly competing in a lower league again, like we used to do on a fairly regular basis.

Middlesboro have always been the poor relations of the northeasts "big three" by the way, and always will. Gibson is as good a chairman as its possible for them to have apart from an Abramovic type of guy. I'm pleased they know their place in the pecking order, if nothing else.

Nice to see them holding on to their identity, but don't kid yourself, if they were taken over tomorrow by a bunch of ambitious Arabs they would be doing cartwheels.

interesting question. We had people running the club once, who trumpeted about their local heritage. Unfortunately, a lot of people didn't want it because they found it "embarrassing" and insisted we would be better with someone else.

Next season we may well be embarrassingly competing in a lower league again, like we used to do on a fairly regular basis.

Middlesboro have always been the poor relations of the northeasts "big three" by the way, and always will. Gibson is as good a chairman as its possible for them to have apart from an Abramovic type of guy. I'm pleased they know their place in the pecking order, if nothing else.

Nice to see them holding on to their identity, but don't kid yourself, if they were taken over tomorrow by a bunch of ambitious Arabs they would be doing cartwheels.

Are you talking about Gordon Mckeag?

No one gave a shit about Chelsea before Abramovich turned them into a leading light. Where would Chelsea be today without his money?

Mid-table. But with their pre-Chelski fans still supporting them I reckon, keeping the "soul" alive at their home games.

Mid-table. But with their pre-Chelski fans still supporting them I reckon, keeping the "soul" alive at their home games.

I thought it was pretty well known that Chelsea were about to 'do a Leeds' before Abramovich bought them.

Why don't Chelsea fans organise a demonstration to get owners who will keep their "soul" alive then?

Are you talking about Gordon Mckeag?

You've heard of him have you ? He's the bloke who thought he was doing well because he tried to rival Watford by the way.

Utter crap

They've bought more than their fair share of players.

IMO a club's soul is its very existence.

As an example, I will use my Sunday league team. A club essentially started up by a group of friends and pub-amigos 12 years ago. The "club" has since won the league 4 times and is regarded as one of the top teams in Cyprus outside the 4 football league divisions. We get on average 7 or 8 in attendance nearly every week. Had about 23 there to watch the cup final (which we lost).

Say these "fans" didn't show up at all, the club would still be there, and fixtures would still be played, until there wasn't enough players to play them, or a "club" to play for.

Clearly, professional footbal is different. But if we're talking philosphy wise, a club's soul is its very existence