Mike Ashley - Newcastle's best ever chairman/owner.

Benwell Lad

I know we've had a net spend of around £10m under Ashley in 3 transfer windows. If you missed it, that's what's happened.

Edit: Which club record bid was accepted? I hope we're not getting back into the area where we don't actually know what happened.

modric. even keegan said they had accepted the bid.

I don't remember Keegan saying anything about it, but I'll take your word for it - he would only be parroting what he'd been told by Wise/Mort anyway.

So if the bid was accepted, we offered better terms to the player, and the player had no say in the decision, why is he not playing for us now instead of the next best thing to Modric - Danny Guthrie?

I know we've had a net spend of around £10m under Ashley in 3 transfer windows. If you missed it, that's what's happened.

Edit: Which club record bid was accepted? I hope we're not getting back into the area where we don't actually know what happened.

I don't remember Keegan saying anything about it, but I'll take your word for it - he would only be parroting what he'd been told by Wise/Mort anyway.

So if the bid was accepted, we offered better terms to the player, and the player had no say in the decision, why is he not playing for us now instead of the next best thing to Modric - Danny Guthrie?

ask the player or his representatives. (and i think we dodged a bullet by not getting him aswell)

ask the player or his representatives. (and i think we dodged a bullet by not getting him aswell)

His representatives are the one's you said accepted the bid, and the player clearly from what he said at the time had no say in the matter.

In light of the global financial crash, the situation overspending West Ham now find themselves in, unsustainable Premier league wage bills and football's general level of debt,  Mike Ashley's structured plan for the club and it's finances looks quite visionary.

Ashley's 'structured' plan as you put it was designed to raise the sell-on value of the club, nothing more. Clubs with debt are less attractive options, even more so in a credit crunch. Clubs without debt are very attractive options, even more so in a credit crunch. He will find this out very soon despite the on-field mess as he gets himself a healthy profit for his initial investment. That has been his intention all along. I'm not surprised you see it another way though, given your absurd claims in the opening post.

A shame that Keegan's walkout and the sub primes demonstration blew such a hole in what now looks like it was a very astute longer term plan for NUFC's prosperity and success.

More like KK blew a hole in your hopes that Ashley was the real deal, that's what this is all about. You don't want to admit he isn't and never was the real deal. Instead you'd rather denigrate a man who has done far more for this club than the man you laughingly claim as the best ever chairman or owner we've ever had.

When the football world is criticising the English game for selling it's soul to any foreign billionaire who fancies buying a club, you and the angry rabble have got what you wanted by forcing out Ashley. You will soon find out who your protests have brought to the club. I hope you are happy with the new owners.

Ah, so it my fault and fellow fans' fault.

1st of all I never protested and I never wanted Ashley out much less forced him out. This is all of his own doing.

You're just upset because he's not really the man your title claims him to be despite you and everyone else, myself included, hoping he would be. Face up to that reality (I have) and stop kidding yourself, you'll feel much better for it and will start to see things more clearly.

I'm not sure what I expected when he arrived really, I just think he should have been given longer than a year to show it and not allowed an emotional walk out by Keegan (his 3rd at Newcastle alone) to bring things to an abrupt and messy end.

The knee jerk reactions you seem to prefer are really getting us nowhere.

His representatives are the one's you said accepted the bid.

his club accepted the bid.

Zdravko Mamić is both the vice-chairman of Zagreb and is/was Modric's agent.

maybe the chairman made the decision.

What, the chairman accepted our bid, but the vice-chairman blocked the deal acting as the player's agent so he could go to Spurs for a lower transfer fee and on lower wages?

:laugh2:

Then of course, when we got knocked back for Modric we went in for the next player on the list, Danny Guthrie.

What, the chairman accepted our bid, but the vice-chairman blocked the deal acting as the player's agent so he could go to Spurs for a lower transfer fee and on lower wages?

:laugh2:

Then of course, when we got knocked back for Modric we went in for the next player on the list, Danny Guthrie.

why not. the chairman working in the clubs interest and the vice chairman working in his own interest.

as for guthrie maybe it didn't work like that. maybe they weren't that desperate for that position but thought modric was too good to turn down. kin of like jonas,not a position we were desperate for but too good to turn down

why not. the chairman working in the clubs interest and the vice chairman working in his own interest.

:lol: How exactly is it in his best interests to block a higher transfer fee (which he'll get a % of) and wages?

as for guthrie maybe it didn't work like that. maybe they weren't that desperate for that position but thought modric was too good to turn down. kin of like jonas,not a position we were desperate for but too good to turn down

If that's how the system works, I'm not impressed, as

1) Modric isn't that good he was worth buying (at that price) just for the sake of it.

2) We were/are desperate for that position

3) It's a s*** way of going about transfers regardless

:lol: How exactly is it in his best interests to block a higher transfer fee (which he'll get a % of) and wages?

1) Modric isn't that good he was worth buying (at that price) just for the sake of it.

I can think of shitter ways.

Chairman: "Mr Luque, how much would you like to be paid?"

Luque: "Er...Meester Newcastle chairman I don't really want to come but ok, I would like 20..no  30...no...make that 60k a week please"

Chairmen: "Ok"

other clauses in the contract, sell on fees etc.

For me the structure hasn't delivered, doesn't matter whose fault it was.

Aye, as a mechanism for supplying instant success it has proved sadly deficient.

As a mechanism for supplying almost instant relegation though, it's proving worryingly efficient.

that i suppose we'll have to wait and see (and hope not). i still feel we were closer to relegation under allardyce than we are now.

For largely the same reason - lack of investment in the squad.

(Though I never wanted Allardyce and think he would never have succeeded).

how many more times does the nail have to be hit squarely on the head here

Aye, as a mechanism for supplying instant success it has proved sadly deficient.

As a mechanism for supplying almost instant relegation though, it's proving worryingly efficient.

that i suppose we'll have to wait and see (and hope not). i still feel we were closer to relegation under allardyce than we are now.

alan smith and joey barton were a canny price. there may have been a lack of investment but nothing compared to the abysmal managing.

i've said before along the lines of "i'd rather give a good manager £10million than a s**** one £50million.

good managers piss off to the good clubs. History proves it. If you are lucky enough to find one in the first place, before the more ambitious clubs.

exactly...how many times do you need telling that giving a shit manager loads of money still takes you backwards.

Guest Howaythetoon

In light of the global financial crash, the situation overspending West Ham now find themselves in, unsustainable Premier league wage bills and football's general level of debt,  Mike Ashley's structured plan for the club and it's finances looks quite visionary.

Ashley's 'structured' plan as you put it was designed to raise the sell-on value of the club, nothing more. Clubs with debt are less attractive options, even more so in a credit crunch. Clubs without debt are very attractive options, even more so in a credit crunch. He will find this out very soon despite the on-field mess as he gets himself a healthy profit for his initial investment. That has been his intention all along. I'm not surprised you see it another way though, given your absurd claims in the opening post.

A shame that Keegan's walkout and the sub primes demonstration blew such a hole in what now looks like it was a very astute longer term plan for NUFC's prosperity and success.

More like KK blew a hole in your hopes that Ashley was the real deal, that's what this is all about. You don't want to admit he isn't and never was the real deal. Instead you'd rather denigrate a man who has done far more for this club than the man you laughingly claim as the best ever chairman or owner we've ever had.

When the football world is criticising the English game for selling it's soul to any foreign billionaire who fancies buying a club, you and the angry rabble have got what you wanted by forcing out Ashley. You will soon find out who your protests have brought to the club. I hope you are happy with the new owners.

Ah, so it my fault and fellow fans' fault.

1st of all I never protested and I never wanted Ashley out much less forced him out. This is all of his own doing.

You're just upset because he's not really the man your title claims him to be despite you and everyone else, myself included, hoping he would be. Face up to that reality (I have) and stop kidding yourself, you'll feel much better for it and will start to see things more clearly.

I'm not sure what I expected when he arrived really, I just think he should have been given longer than a year to show it and not allowed an emotional walk out by Keegan (his 3rd at Newcastle alone) to bring things to an abrupt and messy end.

The knee jerk reactions you seem to prefer are really getting us nowhere.

And Ashley and co were getting us nowhere too. KK was the glue to the cracks.

As for knee jerk reactions, like your thread title perhaps? Or putting a for sale sign up because of some banner and some booing...

exactly...how many times do you need telling that giving a shit manager loads of money still takes you backwards.

how many times do you need to be told that its impossible to appoint a winning manager every time, and good managers - if you find one - will piss off to clubs that back them if they are with clubs that don't.

Luque: "Er...Meester Newcastle chairman I don't really want to come but ok, I would like 20..no  30...no...make that 60k a week please"

Yeah, these direct quotes show how the players we're getting in now are desperate to play just for the love of the club:

“At the end of a player’s career, the only thing that counts is their checking account, they don’t feed themselves with cups neither with medals, and I fear he could miss the contract of his life.

“The pay rise is very important for Fabricio,” he added. “Here (in Spain) you have a better life, but a player’s career is very short"

exactly...how many times do you need telling that giving a s*** manager loads of money still takes you backwards.

how many times do you need to be told that its impossible to appoint a winning manager every time, and good managers - if you find one - will piss off to clubs that back them if they are with clubs that don't.

everytime...EVERYTIME!

if we employed a CEO who found the managers you'd demand his head for getting,in your words "the manager is his most important employee" wrong three times off the spin.

:lol:

But crap managers like all but one of those Shepherd appointed usually piss off to be unemployed.

exactly...how many times do you need telling that giving a s*** manager loads of money still takes you backwards.

But crap managers like all but one of those Shepherd appointed usually piss off to be unemployed.

.................. after trousering several million pounds from the NUFC coffers.

continue demeaning the one man blah blah blah

Aw! Did the nasty man say bad things about Uncle Freddie? Poor baby!

Here's a new dummy. See how long you can keep this one inside the pram.

Is Freddy NE5's uncle? I know theres some link between the 2 somewhere....

He's clearly talking about Keegan there like.

One track minds some people  :rolleyes:

indeed I was. Pretty amazing that anybody didn't realise. New heights of dumbness..........

I think Ozzie Mandiarse needs serious help to be honest. How old is he ?

So whats your relation to Shepherd out of interest? Im genuinely interested , no worries if you dont want to say.

oh dear.

Honestly ne5, it was a genuine question, if you dont want to answer it then thats fine. Judging by this one man onslaught, i take it you're back from the pub?!

yep, I've been to the pub. And ?

You have asked me this before BTW, and sorry to say, the answer is the same as the last time.

Why do you think that anybody who says anything positive about the old board is their guardian angels or something ? Honestly fredbob, I'm staggered you are still going down this route, after recent events

Sorry, something Ozzie said reminded me about your relation with Shepherd, i was just curious, no agenda behind it, i just remmeber not getting an answer out of you last time.

I genuinely no longer have an issue with you defending the old board, hence the reason i no longer have long drawn out debates with you anymore- well less frequented anyway. I actually probably feel the same about the current board as you do about the old board - crazy isnt it?

Im open to people criticising my viewpoint but i want to see one more season from the current lot before i let the vocal majority speak for me and force them out.

I wouldn't take any notice of what Ozzie says like, I don't anyway. Do you think the new owner will seel this season then, or rather he didn't ?

Well, if i understand your question rightly then i think yes he will sell, i think the fans have made his position unteneable, but as a secondary point, yes i would like to see one more season. Id like to of seen who he's of appointed and id of liked to of seen the club definitively, once and for all row in the same direction and see what happens.

For me, there hasnt been enough solid evidence to categorically say that his plan has been a failure, and so far Im yet to hear any proper evidence from someone who does view the system as a complete failure. Its all supposition, conjecture and assumptions. Thats not a coincidence.

If theres another break down in the system within that season ill of seen enough to suggest that yes - this isnt right for newcastle its time to move on - but so far this all seems too premature and ill thought out.

i think the fans have made his position unteneable

How exactly?

The players are still there. 45k still turn up and cheer on the team. The world is still turning.

Supporters are fickle if the team starts to do well. A quality new manager, some good results, and all is forgiven.

Easy to do with the great squad we now have, and with the super setup in place, any manager would be mad not to come surely?

But no, apparently a few banners make his position untenable. A couple of protests and some strongly worded emails have driven him out. The reason the stubborn, hard nosed businessman is selling the club is because he's upset. It has nothing to do with the fact he's been trying to offload the club for months, no siree, nothing at all.

i think the fans have made his position unteneable

How exactly?

The players are still there. 45k still turn up and cheer on the team. The world is still turning.

Supporters are fickle if the team starts to do well. A quality new manager, some good results, and all is forgiven.Easy to do with the great squad we now have, and with the super setup in place, any manager would be mad not to come surely?

But no, apparently a few banners make his position untenable. A couple of protests and some strongly worded emails have driven him out. The reason the stubborn, hard nosed businessman is selling the club is because he's upset. It has nothing to do with the fact he's been trying to offload the club for months, no siree, nothing at all.

So why not give him the chance to do so? Why protest and set up supporters group with the sole intention of ousting him?

Put it simply - had the fans been more passive and less voiciferous, do you think he still would of sold? Do you think his family deserve to hear the sort of vile diatribe that will no doubt be aimed at him irrespective of where he sits? A lookalike got attacked, purely for the reason he was mistaken as Ashley, irrespective of how good his security is do you not think that that may of been a factor when deciding to sell?