He is being touted around as the savior of the club from the buyers interested..

tgarve
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why cant we just lay all this Keegan s*** to bed now..He is like a Cancer on the club that just keeps coming back..why on earth do all the loonies want the man back so he can just f*** off again when something happens he doesnt agree with he has already done it twice..let the big spoilt kid go once and for all and move on...

He's nothing like a cancer on the club.  What a ridiculous comment  :idiot2:

I'd prefer to move on from Keegan now.  But given the total and utter mess we're in, for which the current Board is largely responsible, I'm not sure we'll find anyone decent who's prepared to take the job on.  Not convinced Keegan would want the job anymore either, unless it's entirely on his terms.

Guest optimistic nit

I'd much rather the club moved forward rather than going back for KK.

who could we attract as a manager though? even after the takeover, i genuinely can't think of a better manager than keegan who would agree to manage the club.

we need KK to return after this.

Guest optimistic nit

If we got new owners who were prepared to give the manager shitloads of money for transfers I'd rather they tried getting Shearer as boss.

i'd rather we brought someone in with a long term plan and care for the club than someone who just came for the transfer funds tbh, and that doesn't mean someone with genuine affection for the club, but someone who came because he wanted the job, not because he wanted the mioney. unfortuantely i cant think of anyone with sane mind who would fit that catagory, apart from keegan. we need keegan to (ironically) stabalise the club, and hand it over to someone.

Guest Howaythetoon

Take away the whole KK factor and beneath it all you're still looking at a quality manager which NUFC badly needs - we will struggle to attract such a manager though. I'd take KK the manager back in a heart beat but agree with the sentiment that we now need to move on which will be difficult by the way, very much so.

He will need a blank chequebook to be kept happy.

And to win every game 4-3 and of course, win the FA Cup over the league...

Nonsense! KK was never a chequebook manager. When he took us to promotion all the talk was of signing big name players which admittedly the Chronicle had us linked to every other week but what did KK say?

"Newcastle fans are used to star players, they love their number 9s, but for me it is about time the team itself become the star and that's what we aim to give them, a star team and not a team of stars which would be the easiest thing to do."

Or words to that effect.

He never once broke from that train of thought until we signed Shearer who was actually a gift from the then board who went to KK and said "would you like him"?

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Blackburn all spent more than we did in that time. When KK took us to promotion Derby and Wolves spent more than us. Some of his most inspired signings were bargain buys, Kilckline, Ginola, Lee, Beresford, Venison, Beardsley, Cole et al. And this was in an era when players like Joey Beauchamp were going for £3m - not only was the Premiership awash with money but so too were the lower leagues.

Of course KK or any manager would need good money but talk of an open chequebook is daft and totally out of sync with not only history but reality. It is fans who want the open chequebook, see Parky's £100m thread or the takeover threads.

KK's at home spotting your Guthries and developing them into good players more than he's at home spending mega money on world renowned stars which isn't something he's done a lot believe it or not. Shearer and Anelka were his two major deals in terms of names and transfer fees at Newcastle and then Man City.

This is why all this talk of Henry, Lampard, Ronaldinho and Beckham which a good number on here believe as fact is also nonsense and those who know KK or were around the first time should know that.

Look back over the summer, he was visibly excited at the prospect of working with Guthrie and Jonas in particular, two unknown players that didn't cost the earth. That's because he's seen something he can work with and it is called ability - KK is adept at spotting ability and even more so at developing it, that's what attracts him mostly and not mega cash.

As for KK walking, it was never over lack of money in the transfer market either if that's what people are thinking, he'll wheel and deal with the best of them if he has to and some of the players we were linked with were more akin to your Beresford and Lee deals rather than your Shearers.

When KK kicked off after the Chelsea match talking about money and their wealth I personally believe he was referring to wages which he had been told would be capped, effectively meaning no new deal for Owen, and not that he had no money to spend.

After all Ashley himself said money was available and he wouldn't lie would he...

Yep, good post HTT.

However, I still think there's a question mark over Keegan's temprament and staying power. Even if it wasn't because of lack of money to spend, he found some reason to walk out, the same as he has done in the past.

I'm not sure we can take the risk of the 'boom and bust' of bringing Keegan back again.

I'll give him a chance if he does come back, but personally I'll never feel the same about him again after all this.

KK was never a chequebook manager. When he took us to promotion all the talk was of signing big name players which admittedly the Chronicle had us linked to every other week but what did KK say?

"Newcastle fans are used to star players, they love their number 9s, but for me it is about time the team itself become the star and that's what we aim to give them, a star team and not a team of stars which would be the easiest thing to do."

Or words to that effect.

He never once broke from that train of thought until we signed Shearer who was actually a gift from the then board who went to KK and said "would you like him"?

Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd and Blackburn all spent more than we did in that time. When KK took us to promotion Derby and Wolves spent more than us. Some of his most inspired signings were bargain buys, Kilckline, Ginola, Lee, Beresford, Venison, Beardsley, Cole et al. And this was in an era when players like Joey Beauchamp were going for £3m - not only was the Premiership awash with money but so too were the lower leagues.

Even in those scenarios you mentioned KK was up there spending with the top clubs we were in competition with. For that to happen now will take a serious transfer war chest whern you consider the top four are capable of spending £20m on a single player. Keegan would probably be looking to compete in the tier below that with Villa and Everton which would still require some serious spending power. The fact you mentioned him not being happy with Owen not being offered a mega deal does indicate he isn't comfortable working within a budget. Hopefully whoever buys the club if they want KK as manager, will be able to give him decent funds to compete. 

Guest Howaythetoon

Yep, good post HTT.

However, I still think there's a question mark over Keegan's temprament and staying power. Even if it wasn't because of lack of money to spend, he found some reason to walk out, the same as he has done in the past.

I'm not sure we can take the risk of the 'boom and bust' of bringing Keegan back again.

I'll give him a chance if he does come back, but personally I'll never feel the same about him again after all this.

His reasons for walking are many and I doubt there is a manager out there worth his salt who wouldn't do likewise, indeed two of the best recently said KK did the right thing. We know KK, yes he's temperamental and highly emotional but he wouldn't walk so easily, he's faught every inch of his life and career and looking back, it seems he's tried to do that here but to no avail.

If you give KK full control, a reasonable budget and back him 100% which is something every manager demands and most get until results determine their fate, he would give us a few years like he has done before and did at Man City. That's all he asked for and all he needs, and the same any manager would too. That never happened though which means running a club with both hands tied behind your back. Most managers even those with flimsy principles wouldn't stand for that.

It comes down to trust. I'd trust KK any day of the week but these new owners, consortiums and what have you... no chance and that's the real risk and not KK himself. Football really needs to go back to how it used to be in more than a few ways, especially at boardroom level where the chairman appoints a manager, gives him a budget and tells him to spend the money wisely and to win some football matches which is where they will either sink or swim.

Guest johnson293

Even in those scenarios you mentioned KK was up there spending with the top clubs we were in competition with. For that to happen now will take a serious transfer war chest whern you consider the top four are capable of spending £20m on a single player. Keegan would probably be looking to compete in the tier below that with Villa and Everton which would still require some serious spending power. The fact you mentioned him not being happy with Owen not being offered a mega deal does indicate he isn't comfortable working within a budget. Hopefully whoever buys the club if they want KK as manager, will be able to give him decent funds to compete. 

^ This..

While I agree with HTT post to a degree, that was over 10 years ago, and the only real challengers for the title were Manchester United, and we were the 'Entertainers' who had got promoted and then suddenly broke into the top 6.

Now we have the established top 4, with a few other clubs also having decent spending power, so players have a lot more options.

While he (KK) may ideally not want to spend massive amounts on players, these days its almost a fact of the game that decent players will want decent money, and will command big fees for clubs to let them go.

Guest Howaythetoon

KK was never a chequebook manager. When he took us to promotion all the talk was of signing big name players which admittedly the Chronicle had us linked to every other week but what did KK say?

Or words to that effect.

That's quite a jump from open chequebook....

Of course KK spent well when he was first here, but always within budget. Indeed SJH used to come to him and say Kev, why not spend some more money while we have it and KK resisted the tempation. He could have spent the Cole money there and then but he didn't and you just know the summer after if he then wanted another 6m for Sir Les, he'd have been giving it.

The lower tier isn't as awash with money as it seems either. Check the average spend, it is more than doable for a club like ours. You don't think Lerner et al put in their own money do you? None of them do outside of Abramovic and the new Man City guys. The rest keep it within budget, even Spurs who have spent a shit load. They balance it by selling at a profit i.e. Berbatov and Keane.

The Owen thing is a stickler because a wage cap if you can't compete financially in terms of fees make it impossible to keep and attract such stars. The reason for years why we've been able to buy your Owens, top 4 CL quality players, is down to wages. That can get you into trouble like big wages, but not if you're doing it to achieve success which even FS was attempting to do, he just didn't appoint good enough managers in the main. Is KK good enough? More than and I don't really want him back.

He and we would be successful under the following:

Full control, decent budget, 100% backing and some time to deliver. Most good managers would succeed.

Guest Howaythetoon

I nearly forgot, KK's post Chelsea rant was also his way of saying to Ashley and co, "if you want top 4 and success, it won't happen over night, not without a huge cash injection anyway." Ashley's interview in the club mag clearly defined what he was demanding this season, top 6 which was an absurd expectation and demand to place on KK given the squad and lack of spending, that and allowing your star player to go on untied to a new deal. That was the crux of KK's rant and he used the league's number 1 template of how to achieve instant success to make his point. He was and is right of course but that's not say that's what he wanted or can only work with. Its safe to assume he when he come back he was told money wasn't an issues, I mean Ashley said that himself. More lies though as KK found out.

I nearly forgot, KK's post Chelsea rant was also his way of saying to Ashley and co, "if you want top 4 and success, it won't happen over night, not without a huge cash injection anyway." Ashley's interview in the club mag clearly defined what he was demanding this season, top 6 which was an absurd expectation and demand to place on KK given the squad and lack of spending, that and allowing your star player to go on untied to a new deal. That was the crux of KK's rant and he used the league's number 1 template of how to achieve instant success to make his point. He was and is right of course but that's not say that's what he wanted or can only work with. Its safe to assume he when he come back he was told money wasn't an issues, I mean Ashley said that himself. More lies though as KK found out.

I agree that KK was probably led to believe he was going to get more money than he did. Apparently £20m was going to be made available but it never got spent. Whether that was due to disagreements over transfer targets is just speculation ATM. Until the club gets sold and a new owner comes in looks at appointing Keegan we won't really know the answers.