The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Guest justin99.

anything over 3million for Johnson is lunacy.

by next season (assuming he's still playing and hasn't lost his marbles) I doubt he would even make city's bench due to other signings and will leave for next to nothing

Is Elano still at City? If so I don't see why we shouldn't go after him as part of the deal, he's just what we need.

A fickle Brazilian who may not have the heart for a relegation dog fight is not what we need at the moment imo.

What we need is an experienced campaigner who will come in and know what it's all about. We need someone to come in and have an effect on the team similar to the effect Beardo had when he returned.

i'd take someone like Danny Murphy ahead of Elano any day at the moment in this particular context.

The chance of signing Johnson is very hard to resist. He's a very talented player, and even at his age, he would be our best midfielder when fit.

I don't know exactly what the other issues are with him, but never mind. Joey can take him under his wing.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_4850706,00.html

Ruiz not expecting move

Costa Rican unlikely to make January switch

Last updated: 26th January 2009

bryan ruiz

Ghent striker Bryan Ruiz does not expect to be leaving the club during the current transfer window.

The Costa Rican front-man has attracted interest from around Europe and Premier League outfit Newcastle United are reported to have scouted him in recent weeks.

Ruiz, 23, has impressed in Belgium since he joined Ghent in 2006 - with clubs from Italy, France and Holland all said to be keen.

Newcastle are the latest club linked, but Ruiz admits that he thinks he will end up staying put until the summer.

"You never know what happens in the last week, but normally I will not leave this month," he told Het Nieuwsblad.

"When an attractive offer comes in, I can leave at the end of this season. "

The Central American does not appear to have his sights set on one of Europe's biggest leagues for his next move as he admits he is more than likely to move to France or Holland.

"Both the French and the Dutch league may be a good next step in my career. We'll see."

According to be the Journal, we are close to sign a midfielder as well as Ebondo, thought to be Stephane Mbia  :celb: :celb:

can't be m'bia as everyone on here knows he would cost twice what we offered and he wouldn't come anyway..........

..........and then he was shit.

Magpies close to signing Ebondo

Jan 26 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United hope to complete their second signing of the January transfer window with Toulouse right-back Albin Ebondo expected on Tyneside today to discuss personal terms.

With the Magpies also close to finalising a fee for a central midfielder, thought to be Rennes’ Stephane Mbia, manager Joe Kinnear is finally starting to get somewhere in the transfer market after weeks of frustrating delays and knock backs.

A Newcastle delegation was in France over the weekend to thrash out a deal with Toulouse for Ebando, and a fee of around £3.5m is believed to have been agreed yesterday for a player who has made more than 80 appearances for Ligue 1’s surprise packages.

That should allow the 24-year-old, who has been talked about as a future France international this season, to fly to Tyneside in the next 48 hours. There is even a chance the promising full-back will be a Newcastle player in time to make his debut against Manchester City on Wednesday night. Although Ebondo is not well known in England, he has plenty of admirers in France and, as Habib Beye will be out for at least another 10 weeks with the knee injury he suffered against Wigan Athletic on Boxing Day, the signing of the Marseille-born defender would be a significant breakthrough for Kinnear.

“A team from Newcastle has been over there talking to the club and the player and we’re confident he’ll be here on Monday,” said Kinnear, who may, however, also have to brace himself for some bad news regarding Shay Given’s future at Newcastle today.

“We will work right until the final minute of the final day of the window to bring in the players we want. We are working around the clock to get the players we need but it’s not an easy time of the year to do business and it’s been hard work.

“But I do feel as though we are getting somewhere and if I can bring in the two players we’re close to agreeing deals for then I’ll be feeling a lot happier about the state of the squad.

“I identified Albin Ebondo when I went to see Toulouse play a few weeks ago and he will be an excellent player for us, I’m confident about that. Hopefully he’ll be here on Monday and in training with the rest of the squad straight after that.”

Kinnear continued: “With Habib Beye still on crutches and likely to be out of action for at least another couple of months we desperately need a right-back.

“We’ve asked Steven Taylor to play there in the last few games and he’s been struggling with a calf problem and has needed pain-killing injections just to get out on to the pitch. That’s not been fair on him or us.

“People haven’t fully appreciated the plight we’re in. We’re getting on with things the best we can and the new players will give us a lift.” Kinnear also insisted he was not allowing himself to become too despondent about the team’s poor recent results, which have left them just above the relegation places.

He said: “We were second from bottom when I came here and I said it was going to be tough then. I didn’t realise we were going to have to cope with so many injuries and that has really hurt us, but we are in a better position than we were in September and I’m not a doom and gloom merchant.

“Other people can throw stones at us and criticise me, but it won’t get me down. There is a lot of pressure in this part of the world, but we will get on with the job we have to do and that’s keeping Newcastle United in the Premier League.”

Meanwhile, the Magpies are also in talks with Celtic regarding the possible transfer of Hoops captain Stephen McManus. The 26-year-old is keen to leave Scottish football following a deterioration in his relationship with Celtic fans, who have blamed him for the Glasgow club’s recent slump in form.

When they were initially approached by Newcastle earlier this month, Celtic enquired about the possibility of a swap deal involving Magpies full-back José Enríque, but the current SPL leaders ended their interest in the former Spain Under-21 international when they discovered that he earns more than £40,000 a week on Tyneside.

However, that does not mean the deal for McManus is dead with sources in Scotland last night indicating a bid of just £3m would probably be enough to bring the centre-back south of the border.

So the posibility of a right back and holding midfielder is a step in the right direction, although we still need a decent creative midfielder or maybe 2 and ship out the likes of Smith and N'zogbia.

Either way this is going to be an interesting week and we may see Derek actually do some work for once.

I believe the Given transfer is a goer, and has given us breathing space in terms of funds. The 10m from the transfer will see us bag Ebondo and hopefully M'Bia, in addition to one of the youth strikers being bandied about such as Ruiz or Remy. Would be a decent window imo.

Guest toonlass

Fuck knows why we've waited 'til the 26th to start making offers.  :doh:

I don't think we have. There are probably enquiries we have made that have just been turned down straight away, and the press haven't been informed.

Out:

Given 7m

In:

Ebondo 3.5m

Mbia 5m+

Micheal Johnson free

As well as harps getting a new contract, would be good business. However, we should not have to be selling Given to get those others in.

Leaving it late if you ask me.

We've just been negotiating I think and exploring all options.

We can't just go in and pay what is demanded right off the bat. It just doesn't work like that. It's the last week and so now we will hopefully move for the best deals we have found so far.

Painstaking for us the fans but good for the club overall.

Out:

Given 7m

In:

Ebondo 3.5m

Mbia 5m+

Micheal Johnson free

As well as harps getting a new contract, would be good business. However, we should not have to be selling Given to get those others in.

Lovenkrands?

Out:

Given 7m

In:

Ebondo 3.5m

Mbia 5m+

Micheal Johnson free

Lovenkrands?

Aye i ment future possiblities..... actually i forgot about him ;)

It would be nice to get Onouha.  He has the physique to make it unlike Taylor.

Given can be expensed if we really get all those mentioned above.  Would be even better if we can offload Smith to free up capacity for wages.

Out:

Given 7m

In:

Ebondo 3.5m

Mbia 5m+

Micheal Johnson free

Lovenkrands?

IF johnson is included in the deal and this mbia is halfway competent AND we stay then it'll have worked for the best

no johnson and it's a piss take of the highest order and we won't stay up imo, not a chance

is there anything concrete about johnson btw?  or is it just paper bullshit we're choosing to believe 'cause it suits us this time?

oh, and where's the left back?

Leaving it late if you ask me.

We've just been negotiating I think and exploring all options.

We can't just go in and pay what is demanded right off the bat. It just doesn't work like that. It's the last week and so now we will hopefully move for the best deals we have found so far.

Painstaking for us the fans but good for the club overall.

I understand the problems with signing players.

We've known the issues with the first team since before the season kicked off, we could have been a bit more pro active between the windows.

Hence, leaving it late.