The Newcastle United Transfer Thread: D-Day [Spoiler: Not Much Happens]

LooneyToonArmy

Joe Kinnear insists he is "proud" of his record at Newcastle - and claims the club can still have a "respectable" season.

The Toon boss is under pressure to deliver after owner Mike Ashley set him a target of finishing in the European qualifying places, saying: "What price a flutter on us reaching the top six?"

And sources in Spain claim that Newcastle are keeping their options open over Kinnear's future beyond this season, with Benfica boss Quique Sanchez Flores sounded out about the job.

The Newcastle boss has been in charge for three months, claiming four wins out of 14 games, and is desperate for an FA Cup run to lift the spirits.

Advertisement - article continues below »

The Geordies are two points above the drop zone and need January signings to relieve an injury crisis which has seen 10 first teamers struck down ahead of tomorrow's trip to Hull.

But the ex-Wimbledon manager said: "I'm proud of what we have achieved so far and I feel we can build on it.

"I am only looking ahead and only looking upwards, and I think we can get a respectable finish because this division is just so close."

Kinnear is considering a move for young Marseille full-back Taiye Taiwo and Blackburn defender Chris Samba, 24. But he also faces a battle with transfer chief Dennis Wise who will have to be persuaded to go for established players like Papa Bouba Diop on large fees.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/02/joe-kinnear-says-newcastle-could-reach-top-six-115875-21009762/

So he's proud of having us teetering 2 points off the relegation zone by New Year, with a squad boasting genuine quality like Michael Owen, Martins, Beye, Given, Nicky Butt, Jonas. The guy's a f***ing clown. How anyone can't be thoroughly f***ing sick of this utter muppet taking our team forward is beyond me. Makes me vom, the idea that this is the guy who is our current pioneer. He's a knob. And i know there's no one better and he's better than Hughton, blah blah blah, but i mean someone on here summed it up earlier on. "I think he's done a better job than any of us could." Oh right, that's alright then, thank f*** we didn't appoint a total amateur from an internet message board with no footballing experience whatsoever. We'd really be in the s*** then.

Funny thing is Keegan had a similar record at the end of last season and most seen it as being great.

Spot on baggio.

Can't see why everyone is being so f***ing ungrateful.

Ungrateful?

So who else would have come to save us? f***ing superman? f*** no.

Fact is kinnear had the bollocks to go for the job, where as many, many c***s turned it down. He was what, 17th choice? What else do you f***ing expect?

How about Descamps & Zico who both expressed an interest. Oh yeah.. and that Turkish coach, what was his name?

Kinnear owes us if anything. Without us what other club would have brought him back into management? We may be in the shits now and over the last few seasons but not too long ago who used to be a massive club in the champions league, UEFA and we've consistently had world class players over the last 10-15 years. He'll never get the chance to manage a club as big as this again, even if we are looking an absolute state right now.

Precisely, Fatwax. Again - i don't resent him for that, he got offered the job and he'd be an idiot not to take it. But this whole thing about him coming in out of the good of his heart, how we should be oh so thankful to him for doing so... nah i'm not going along with that at all. He owes us, like you say. We were going to get someone and we just had to see how we'd do. Not great - it's just about passable and he's managed some decent results - but to say he's proud of what he's achieved so far sounds a bit iffy to me.

Who has actually said this like?

f***ing hell, we really deserve to get relegated this season because the supporters are nothing but s***.

Use your brain, when Keegan's sacked, the club's put up on sale, everyone knows that Owen is going to leave, the club has simply no hope, no future, nothing left.  We then have a very poor run under Hughton, we are in the relegation zone already.  Imagine you are the players, what will you think?  Did you guys still remember what's the atmosphere like at that moment? Do you understand it's f***ing difficult to get the players together to fight against relegation again?  Especially for those new joiners like Jonas and Bassong, who should throught that they were brought into the club under wrong circumstances.  The manager's left, the management is in chaos, the chairman is just non-existing, the coach is unreliable, the chairman is trying his best to sell the club DURING FINANCIAL TSUNAMI. 

Did you guys really understand how difficult the situation was at that moment? Did you really understand why so many managers turn us down? Everyone knows that this is nearly a mission impossible. Tell me how should you motivate the players, "Play better so that you can find a new club later?" FFS.

Those who didn't realize Joe Kinnear has done a miracle needs their head checked.  Or simply has their brain stuffed with s***. 

Zico is managing a club a team in  Uzbekistan. As for Dider still unemployed. So aye both would of come & still would imo.

Zico has been fucking shit.  Check his management record yourself.  In Japan he is like Pele in Brazil but he still got sacked.  You cannot imagine how bad he could be.

Deschamps turned us down.

Zico is managing a club a team in  Uzbekistan. As for Dider still unemployed. So aye both would of come & still would imo.

Zico has been f***ing s***.  Check his management record yourself.  In Japan he is like Pele in Brazil but he still got sacked.  You cannot imagine how bad he could be.

Deschamps turned us down.

I never made out Zico was good or bad.

Where is it about Deschamps turning us down?

The only two managers that I can recall knocking us back under Ashley are Arry & El Tel.

It is my opinion that the manager is crap. Christ, i really am a shit supporter.

Were you a shit supporter in the Souness era aswell then, Zero? (I'm being presumptuous there, admittedly, but it's something i wouldn't blame you for). Or are you just coming out with that crap cos it suits you, and you're not of the same opinion as me?

I think Kinnear is a shit manager. That's all there is to it i'm afraid, that's just my opinion - that's just the way i see it. As i've said earlier on, i appreciate him for coming him and whilst i don't like him at all, we may aswell sit and hope for the best. I'm not going to be told i'm 'ungrateful' and all that bollocks, cos for one thing it simply doesn't make sense. This is my opinion on his managerial skills, and everything that comes with being a manager. That doesn't make me ungrateful in the slightest.

I'll still be up for the games in 2009, fwiw.

Who are all the managers that turned us down after KK left?

EL Tel who would of joined us if he had of got deal to the end of the season which JFK has now got.

The point is that the "end of season" deal is meaningless.  It is clear that the "new owner" will sack the temporary manager and bring in his own man.

That's the main reason why a lot of them turn us down - they do have interest but the club is "on sale". 

Joe Kinnear, at that moment, is just a temporary manager for the "club selling" period, which is a month expected by Ashley.

Again I couldn't imagine a one-month-only manager could lift us away from the relegation zone. 

Joe Kinnear insists he is "proud" of his record at Newcastle - and claims the club can still have a "respectable" season.

The Toon boss is under pressure to deliver after owner Mike Ashley set him a target of finishing in the European qualifying places, saying: "What price a flutter on us reaching the top six?"

And sources in Spain claim that Newcastle are keeping their options open over Kinnear's future beyond this season, with Benfica boss Quique Sanchez Flores sounded out about the job.

The Newcastle boss has been in charge for three months, claiming four wins out of 14 games, and is desperate for an FA Cup run to lift the spirits.

The Geordies are two points above the drop zone and need January signings to relieve an injury crisis which has seen 10 first teamers struck down ahead of tomorrow's trip to Hull.

But the ex-Wimbledon manager said: "I'm proud of what we have achieved so far and I feel we can build on it.

"I am only looking ahead and only looking upwards, and I think we can get a respectable finish because this division is just so close."

Kinnear is considering a move for young Marseille full-back Taiye Taiwo and Blackburn defender Chris Samba, 24. But he also faces a battle with transfer chief Dennis Wise who will have to be persuaded to go for established players like Papa Bouba Diop on large fees.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/01/02/joe-kinnear-says-newcastle-could-reach-top-six-115875-21009762/

So he's proud of having us teetering 2 points off the relegation zone by New Year, with a squad boasting genuine quality like Michael Owen, Martins, Beye, Given, Nicky Butt, Jonas. The guy's a f***ing clown. How anyone can't be thoroughly f***ing sick of this utter muppet taking our team forward is beyond me. Makes me vom, the idea that this is the guy who is our current pioneer. He's a knob. And i know there's no one better and he's better than Hughton, blah blah blah, but i mean someone on here summed it up earlier on. "I think he's done a better job than any of us could." Oh right, that's alright then, thank f*** we didn't appoint a total amateur from an internet message board with no footballing experience whatsoever. We'd really be in the s*** then.

Funny thing is Keegan had a similar record at the end of last season and most seen it as being great.

Spot on baggio.

Ungrateful?

Fact is kinnear had the bollocks to go for the job, where as many, many c***s turned it down. He was what, 17th choice? What else do you f***ing expect?

How about Descamps & Zico who both expressed an interest. Oh yeah.. and that Turkish coach, what was his name?

Kinnear owes us if anything. Without us what other club would have brought him back into management? We may be in the shits now and over the last few seasons but not too long ago who used to be a massive club in the champions league, UEFA and we've consistently had world class players over the last 10-15 years. He'll never get the chance to manage a club as big as this again, even if we are looking an absolute state right now.

You think those managers would have come here, in that time, under that climate?

An if Ashley didn't put the club up for sale someone like that would likely be our manager now IMO.

By putting the club up for sale he made it clear that anyone coming in would be on a short term contract, after all whoever came in would want their own man in charge.

Things have changed now and if he is going to stay then I think a new manager will come in in the Summer.

It is my opinion that the manager is crap. Christ, i really am a s*** supporter.

Were you a s*** supporter in the Souness era aswell then, Zero? (I'm being presumptuous there, admittedly, but it's something i wouldn't blame you for). Or are you just coming out with that crap cos it suits you, and you're not of the same opinion as me?

I think Kinnear is a s*** manager. That's all there is to it i'm afraid, that's just my opinion - that's just the way i see it. As i've said earlier on, i appreciate him for coming him and whilst i don't like him at all, we may aswell sit and hope for the best. I'm not going to be told i'm 'ungrateful' and all that bollocks, cos for one thing it simply doesn't make sense. This is my opinion on his managerial skills, and everything that comes with being a manager. That doesn't make me ungrateful in the slightest.

I'll still be up for the games in 2009, fwiw.

The circumstance's different.  I would have no problem to call for Souness head because at that time we still have a good squad despite have financial difficulties.  Though to be honest I didn't expect it is so s*** that Ashley has to inject 200m to prevent liquidation.

Imagine you are Kinnear, tell me how should you motivate the players.  To fight hard for a club without future? For a chairman who's going to sell the club (and unlikely)?  To listen to a temporary manager who will say bye within a month?

The word "ungrateful" is that we should have no complaint for the work he has done.  The situation was so bad that at that time we were widely tipped for relegation.  Everyone thinks so.  Kinnear, despite has some problems in his head, has done a miracle.  That's it. 

Whether he is good enough for a permanent job "under a new owner" is another issue.  But to claim that he has been s*** here and we "deserves" a better manager and better result? Sorry.

Who are all the managers that turned us down after KK left?

EL Tel who would of joined us if he had of got deal to the end of the season which JFK has now got.

The point is that the "end of season" deal is meaningless.  It is clear that the "new owner" will sack the temporary manager and bring in his own man.That's the main reason why a lot of them turn us down - they do have interest but the club is "on sale". 

Joe Kinnear, at that moment, is just a temporary manager for the "club selling" period, which is a month expected by Ashley.

Again I couldn't imagine a one-month-only manager could lift us away from the relegation zone. 

Meaningless I would rather have El Tel than JFK & so would Ashley that is why Tel was his 1st choice. We should not be looking for temp boss, we should be looking for a full time manager.

I believe a full time manager could be appointed but they cost a lot more than the reported £12.5K JFK is on. I just don't buy this new owners equals new manager. It obviously does now because we have a temp boss in charge.

Spot on baggio.

Ungrateful?

You think those managers would have come here, in that time, under that climate?

An if Ashley didn't put the club up for sale someone like that would likely be our manager now IMO.

IF we had offered full time contracts to either of them even at half time during the Hull game both of them would of taken of the job imo.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/

SMITH: NO BIDS FOR DUO

Walter Smith insists Rangers have received no enquiries about Barry Ferguson or Madjid Bougherra after the pair were linked with a move to Newcastle.

The Ibrox boss claims the only player who has been the subject of concrete interest so far is Alan Gow, who is in negotiations with Wolves following his return from a six-month loan spell at Blackpool.

Reports suggest Newcastle are preparing a £4.5million offer for Bougherra, who joined Rangers for £2.5million from Charlton in the summer.

Boss Joe Kinnear is also reportedly interested in Ferguson, although a return south of the border is unlikely for the 30-year-old Ibrox captain.

Smith is keen to trim his extensive squad but would only welcome approaches for fringe players who have been told they are free to find new clubs.

"The group we are looking at are the ones who haven't been participating in the matches on a regular basis," he said.

"We are not looking for anything else at the moment. With it being the transfer window, there will be speculation.

"There is nothing we can do about that but we have had no other enquiries for anyone else other than Gow.

"We have had one enquiry from Wolves for Alan Gow. Negotiations are ongoing and that is the only enquiry we have had for any player.

"There are 28 players on the staff and we have to adjust that number a little bit and we have to wait and see what happens with that over the next few days but, so far, that is the only enquiry we have had for anyone."

However, Rangers sanctioned the £9million sale of Alan Hutton to Tottenham this time last year and Smith admits he cannot guarantee a similar scenario will not happen in the current transfer window.

"There are obviously players in our squad that we wouldn't like to lose," he added.

"We were in a situation last year when Alan Hutton was sold to Tottenham.

"We didn't want to lose him but the bid was such that we had to take it from a purely financial sense. You can never say that won't happen again.

"We would want to try to keep the group who have been involved in playing on a regular basis together and add to that if we can.

"First and foremost, we have to adjust the numbers that we have and that's the group who haven't been taking part in a lot of the games."

Meaningless I would rather have El Tel than JFK & so would Ashley that is why Tel was his 1st choice. We should not be looking for temp boss, we should be looking for a full time manager.

I believe a full time manager could be appointed but they cost a lot more than the reported £12.5K JFK is on. I just don't buy this new owners equals new manager. It obviously does now because we have a temp boss in charge.

A full time manager means higher compensation and higher cost for the new owner.

Thespence, you really think we could have appoint a full time manager at that time?  And there is top class manager that will take such a risky option?

Back to 2007 summer, the first fault Ashley commit was not determined enough to sack Allardyce.  Remember that?

Spot on baggio.

Ungrateful?

IF we had offered full time contracts to either of them even at half time during the Hull game both of them would of taken of the job imo.

But they didn't want to rush into anything, they had put a shortlist together but we don't know if anyone had been interviewed.

Don't forget nothing was done because Ashley spoke to Keegan the night before.

Why, in two seperate threads, has this decended into once more, Old Board Vs New Board.

Can we get back ON TOPIC please - leave the bickering, arguing and ultimately pointless discussion about the above to the NE5 Thread.  

Its over and done with.  We have to move on and make do, for now, with what we have.  No amount of arguing is going to change it for Christs sake!

Spot on baggio.

Ungrateful?

So who else would have come to save us? Fucking superman? Fuck no.

Fact is kinnear had the bollocks to go for the job, where as many, many cunts turned it down. He was what, 17th choice? What else do you fucking expect?

Do you think that swearing so much will make your opinion count for more? Or are you just using that to fitler out the holes in your argument. You're making it sound like he's not getting compenstated for having to take on such a terrible job, a job that obviously puts his name back out there as well and gives him a way to get back into football.

Why, in two seperate threads, has this decended into once more, Old Board Vs New Board.

Can we get back ON TOPIC please - leave the bickering, arguing and ultimately pointless discussion about the above to the NE5 Thread.  

Its over and done with.  We have to move on and make do, for now, with what we have.  No amount of arguing is going to change it for Christs sake!

Read the arguments before you start judging what they're about. :razz:

Guest icemanblue

Shut up, you girl.

You got any Newcastle related transfer rumours that haven't already been posted?

Spot on baggio.

Ungrateful?

So, why exactly should we be grateful?

Because it could have been much worse. A bit of Denis Wise? I'm sure you'd all love that :lol:

'You'd all' refers to who exactly? No, I wouldn't have loved that, for the same reason that I don't love Kinnear. They're both s*** managers.

I'm still not entirely sure how 'it could have been worse' can be seen as a reason to be grateful to a man that has done very little.

Bit like keegan in his second spell then.

Difference is that Keegan brought us into the premiership and kept us up. He also saved us from falling into the 3rd tier of football in his first season. He may not have set many fires in his second spell but for what he's done I'll always respect Keegan much more than Joe Kinnear who will never achieve the kind of league finishes that Keegan did.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasnt that 16 years ago? I respect what Keegan did many years ago, but as a realist i think his achievments for this club are a tad outdated.

16 years ago!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/transfer_centre/

SMITH: NO BIDS FOR DUO

Walter Smith insists Rangers have received no enquiries about Barry Ferguson or Madjid Bougherra after the pair were linked with a move to Newcastle.

The Ibrox boss claims the only player who has been the subject of concrete interest so far is Alan Gow, who is in negotiations with Wolves following his return from a six-month loan spell at Blackpool.

Reports suggest Newcastle are preparing a £4.5million offer for Bougherra, who joined Rangers for £2.5million from Charlton in the summer.

Boss Joe Kinnear is also reportedly interested in Ferguson, although a return south of the border is unlikely for the 30-year-old Ibrox captain.

Smith is keen to trim his extensive squad but would only welcome approaches for fringe players who have been told they are free to find new clubs.

"The group we are looking at are the ones who haven't been participating in the matches on a regular basis," he said.

"We are not looking for anything else at the moment. With it being the transfer window, there will be speculation.

"There is nothing we can do about that but we have had no other enquiries for anyone else other than Gow.

"We have had one enquiry from Wolves for Alan Gow. Negotiations are ongoing and that is the only enquiry we have had for any player.

"There are 28 players on the staff and we have to adjust that number a little bit and we have to wait and see what happens with that over the next few days but, so far, that is the only enquiry we have had for anyone."

However, Rangers sanctioned the £9million sale of Alan Hutton to Tottenham this time last year and Smith admits he cannot guarantee a similar scenario will not happen in the current transfer window.

"There are obviously players in our squad that we wouldn't like to lose," he added.

"We were in a situation last year when Alan Hutton was sold to Tottenham.

"We didn't want to lose him but the bid was such that we had to take it from a purely financial sense. You can never say that won't happen again.

"We would want to try to keep the group who have been involved in playing on a regular basis together and add to that if we can.

"First and foremost, we have to adjust the numbers that we have and that's the group who haven't been taking part in a lot of the games."

I will cry if we sign Ferguson.He is a shit player and I hate the bastard.What a transfer window lose Shay Given and sign Barry fucking Ferguson.Has to be bullshit surely

Spot on baggio.

Ungrateful?

So, why exactly should we be grateful?

Because it could have been much worse. A bit of Denis Wise? I'm sure you'd all love that :lol:

'You'd all' refers to who exactly? No, I wouldn't have loved that, for the same reason that I don't love Kinnear. They're both s*** managers.

I'm still not entirely sure how 'it could have been worse' can be seen as a reason to be grateful to a man that has done very little.

Bit like keegan in his second spell then.

Difference is that Keegan brought us into the premiership and kept us up. He also saved us from falling into the 3rd tier of football in his first season. He may not have set many fires in his second spell but for what he's done I'll always respect Keegan much more than Joe Kinnear who will never achieve the kind of league finishes that Keegan did.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasnt that 16 years ago? I respect what Keegan did many years ago, but as a realist i think his achievments for this club are a tad outdated.

16 years ago!

Like it or not, that is the reason why people were more willing to give Keegan time, and happily pin their hopes on him.