Some forum news... with a caveat

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've just modified the forum so it only allows the last three nested quotes.

So there's now no megatriangles of quotes; it'll only show the last three. It doesn't change what you see when you quote or preview your post, the forum just automatically trims everything but the last three when you hit post. Have a peek at some of the threads about the old board for an example.

Thoughts welcome.

Edit - this doesn't translate to the WAP version of the site, unfortunately. That just displays all quotes as usual. Sorry. :blush:

Whilst I wholeheartedly approve of the idea, I don't like the fact that the preview will be different to what's posted tbh.

Does it work if you manually split a quoted post into bits to answer points separately? Will the 4th+ quotes be deleted?

Edit: Nevermind, it's okay on that. I see it works on your theme, so it doesn't do anything for me anyway.

I actually don't think it is as terrible as people make out tbh. It looks horrible but allows you to read whole discussions between two people at once rather than having to click through countless of pages. The rest can easily be done by just scroll to the posts you also want to read.

Whilst I wholeheartedly approve of the idea, I don't like the fact that the preview will be different to what's posted tbh.

Does it work if you manually split a quoted post into bits to answer points separately? Will the 4th+ quotes be deleted?

Good question.

I think James has just proved it only applies to nested quotes though (ie ones within another). I'll test it properly though.

Edit: Nevermind, it's okay on that. I see it works on your theme, so it doesn't do anything for me anyway.

You on the b&w theme? Just added it to that. See if it works.

Surely a good thing. Without the aid of the extended nests NE5 and Mick won't be able to remember what each other/themselves have written and they'll just have to go round and round in circles arguing the same thi.... oh.

Just messing. It should be a decent addition. Nightmare reading through threads like that on iPod/phone.

What

You're stupid.

Fantastic

You're stupid.

News

You're stupid.

Well

You're stupid.

Done

You're stupid.

Guys

You're stupid.

Test.

If I am, so is everyone else. We are all stoopid.

I'm not even angry

I'm being so sincere right now

Even though you broke my heart and killed me

And tore me to pieces

And threw every piece into a fire

Anyway it hurt because

I was so happy for you.

What

You're stupid.

Fantastic

You're stupid.

News

You're stupid.

Well

You're stupid.

Done

You're stupid.

Guys

You're stupid.

Test.

If I am, so is everyone else. We are all stoopid.

I'm not even angry

I'm being so sincere right now

Even though you broke my heart and killed me

And tore me to pieces

And threw every piece into a fire

Anyway it hurt because

I was so happy for you.

These points of data

Make a beautiful line

And we're out on beta

We're releasing on time

So I'm glad I got burnt

Think of all the things we learned

for the people who are still alive.

Nightmare reading through threads like that on iPod/phone.

That's the other consideration, lots now use mobile devices to browse and the megaquotes are a real bastard. This should alleviate that issue a little.

Three sounds like too low a number to me. What about six?

The real problem isn't so much the length of these exchanges as the content. They often degenerate into bickering and a raising of old arguments which aren't interesting to anyone but the participants.

People have to make their own decisions about this, but it doesn't do any harm to let the other bloke have the last word now and then.

Three sounds like too low a number to me. What about six?

The real problem isn't so much the length of these exchanges as the content. They often degenerate into bickering and a raising of old arguments which aren't interesting to anyone but the participants.

People have to make their own decisions about this, but it doesn't do any harm to let the other bloke have the last word now and then.

I've added a poll for the laugh. I think six would be too many, and less than two obviously defeats the point so the options are 2, 3, 5 or unlimited as previously.

I take your point about the content, but some still like to read and participate in them so that's that really.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nested quotes are a pisser when reading via your mobile, just scrolls and scrolls and scrolls. Does this forum have a mobile version btw?

Not seen it in action (yet)  but 3q's seems about right and a great idea for the forum. I won't miss the pyraminds.

PS: Dave was driving around Monza in a Ferrari Enzo blindfolded when he thought this one up.