Steven Taylor & Bassong/Colo

Guest Heneage

Guest Heneage

When we leak goals individual defenders are singled out for bad positional play etc.

I've done it, blamed Taylor, Colo etc for goals but the more I think about the more I think there

is a collective responsibilty.

The defence seem like total strangers, fair enough there has been personnel changes but we could basically fit

all of our first team defenders in a taxi so they must all f***ing know each other by now.

There is a distinct lack of communication on the pitch, often when Taylor or Colo get caught out they are trying to cover another player

that one of the fullbacks should be picking up.

The amount of times opposition players have drifted into the box, undetected, between 3 or 4 black and white shirts to have a free shot/header beggars

belief.

I know Keegan's attempt to bring a "defensive coach" in didn't seem to bear fruit but we need to be looking at something. Four players playing their

own game without any reference to what their defensive team-mates are doing is a recipe for disaster and we look a shambles at times.

A well drilled defence can overcome individual frailties and a lack of ability, at least until we bring more quality into our defensive ranks.

Yes I agree a defence is the sum of its parts but if one part is poor then the overall output will be poor. Colocinni needs ushering into the league with an experienced head, Taylor is not that.

I've just remembered his handball as well. Moron.

It wasn't a hand it was his chest, you could tell by the way he was rubbing it.

Like Tooj said in the pub, he does it so often that as soon as you see the chest rub, you know he's handled it. The refs might be stupid but even most of them aren't that daft.

Guest Heneage

But can you see my point Wullie. Colocinni is having to adapt to a faster pace of league, he needs someone he can count on next to him, instead he has a young guy of 22 , who is failing to eliminate the flaws of his game and in turn making it harder for him.

But can you see my point Wullie. Colocinni is having to adapt to a faster pace of league, he needs someone he can count on next to him, instead he has a young guy of 22 , who is failing to eliminate the flaws of his game and in turn making it harder for him.

You won't find any argument from me mate, I think Taylor's a poor defender at Premiership level with no real positives to his game.

I don't think we'll know until Bassong has played with Colo to be honest.

Taylor has been poor for a while now. His positioning is non-existent, he's clumsy and he doesn't think about what he's doing. I want to be able praise him because he's such a passionate lad who turns in the odd good performance but he just hasn't been good enough. When he first came on the scene he was so promising but he seems to have learnt nothing over the years, its worrying.

Bassong on the other hand looks exactly what he is, a centre back playing in full back. He's solid defensively and gets the job done, however his attacking play is limited to say the very least. I'd like to see how he does playing alongside Colo.

Overall the rear guard has improved and in particular they deal with set pieces a whole lot better than they did, but from open play it's the same old problems. We back off and invite the shot, we get sucked to the ball in wide positions and we still get caught out with the second ball in. Having said that I don't think that's helped by the lack of protection from midfield, Butt in particular.

Like Tooj said in the pub, he does it so often that as soon as you see the chest rub, you know he's handled it. The refs might be stupid but even most of them aren't that daft.

It just shows how thick he is if he thinks it'll make the referee change his mind, it's like watching a kid.

Why is it Taylor always playing last man defender anyway? Shouldn't he as the big strong stopper be dealing with the big guys and taking out the target man rather than sweeping up in front of the goalie?

Bassong's looked shaky for the last couple of games but we're far too quick to condemn these days. The difference between him and Taylor at the moment is one has proven over a long period of time that he's not good enough.

Bassong's looked shaky for the last couple of games but we're far too quick to condemn these days. The difference between him and Taylor at the moment is one has proven over a long period of time that he's not good enough.

Who was playing in front of Bassong?  It looked as if we had Martins playing on the left.

Who was playing in front of Bassong?  It looked as if we had Martins playing on the left.

I noticed there was a 10-15 minute spell in the second-half where Geremi & Duff switched wings.

Wonder if that was JFK thinking Geremi would offer more protection in front of Bassong down that side.

Nobody by the sounds of it. I'm not knocking the lad as since he's come in he's really impressed me. But he has looked a bit nervous/shaky in the last two games. All down to experience at the minute I'd say, and like you said a lack of protection at times. I just wish we had a settled side and the fit personal so we could develop partnerships down the flanks and over other areas of the pitch.

I noticed there was a 10-15 minute spell in the second-half where Geremi & Duff switched wings.

Wonder if that was JFK thinking Geremi would offer more protection in front of Bassong down that side.

If Duff and Geremi were on the pitch to provide us from protection against a roaming striker there is something wrong with the game plan in any case.

Nobody by the sounds of it. I'm not knocking the lad as since he's come in he's really impressed me. But he has looked a bit nervous/shaky in the last two games. All down to experience at the minute I'd say, and like you said a lack of protection at times. I just wish we had a settled side and the fit personal so we could develop partnerships down the flanks and over other areas of the pitch.

I know you're not knocking him, I was just pointing out how exposed he was today.  It's a pity Kinnear wasn't in the stand today, he might have seem what happened down that side.

If Duff and Geremi were on the pitch to provide us from protection against a roaming striker there is something wrong with the game plan in any case.

Duff and Geremi should provide protection to stop a defender doubling up with a winger to have a go at the defence, nowt wrong with that.

Duff and Geremi should provide protection to stop a defender doubling up with a winger to have a go at the defence, nowt wrong with that.

Were any Sunderland midfielders doubling up on Geremi and Duff?

Why is it Taylor always playing last man defender anyway? Shouldn't he as the big strong stopper be dealing with the big guys and taking out the target man rather than sweeping up in front of the goalie?

Why is he always in that position?

He was playing Cisse onside, whilst not marking him, in fact, the only thing he could possibly have been doing in that position was blocking Given's view.

It's not the first time he's done it either, it's a bad habit that he's got that he needs to get out of.