We lack Power!

Guest sicko2ndbest

Guest sicko2ndbest

The formula for power is strength plus speed.

We do not have one player on the books who can dominate their opposite number in terms of power.

We have Martins, Zog and Jonas who have good pace and thats it. Look at Sunderland today, Cisse, Diouf, Richardson, Ferdinand, Jones, Malbranque (over 20 yards), pace in abundance. Even when you are playing shit, pace can get you out of trouble. We have a number of one paced players who have to be on top of their game to be considered effective.

Who do we have that can physically dominate the opposition. Faye was the only one and we sold him! Look at the top teams they have power in bucketloads, as well as top talent. Even Portsmouth have managed to paper over the cracks with the amount of powerful players they have brought.

I really fear for us this year. I think we will struggle against teams like Stoke who will be fighting with us, as they are a powerful unit that can mask their football ability, or lack of, by being a powerful unit.

January needs to address this

Guest sicko2ndbest

Our starting midfield today sums up your point exactly. Its just slow and 'workmanlike', aka s***. I was Dyer's biggest critic but at least he was mobile from midfield.

Dyer gave us the element of unpredictability, which we lack now. Martins is the closest we have but he is hit and miss

Our starting midfield today sums up your point exactly. Its just slow and 'workmanlike', aka s***. I was Dyer's biggest critic but at least he was mobile from midfield.

Dyer gave us the element of unpredictability, which we lack now. Martins is the closest we have but he is hit and miss

Martins was fucking shit today. In fact he's fucking shite most days.

Without a doubt the most over rated player in our squad.

Said this for a few years now. Like Ally said too, at least with Dyer he was mobile.

Inler would have been a brilliant signing in the summer I feel, such a shame we didn't bring him in.

No matter how shit our defence has been over the years, I still think this is definitely our major downfall.

Guest Eires No. 1

Agreed with all of the above

Undoubtable CG. Oba simply cant get away with a good finish every couple of months.

Bassong and Beye are powerful but neither are very good going forward, the former particularly, so they dont really help out that much. how lethargic and weak are we in the midfield tho? diouf looked like yaya toure, michael essien and vinnie jones mixed into one against our midfield.

Agree with this by the way. For all his faults, the way he'd run with the ball 40-50 yards was invaluable. We don't have anyone in the squad capable of doing that now.

Agreed with all of the above

Me too. Cisse's performance is what I hoped to have from Oba when he signed. He hasn't come close so far.

Pretty much fickleness defined in this thread. Martins was the shit when we played Man U and the months before that, he was the saviour to season when we had that run of games with KK. Cause he's been injured and played  played twice since, he's now shit and over-rated, wish people on here would stick to their guns instead of making the most extremist remarks about a player who has undoubted quality and without him we never win any games. If anyone is the most over-rated in our squad it has to be Zoggy.

Dunno about lack of power, lack of directness maybe, a Dyer type player who will run witht he ball every chance they get and take the game to the oposition, Jonas does it but its needed more central than out wide.

Barton will do it and once these two get back to fitness they will be the difference to our team. Some long range efforts to would be nice to, we know Barton can strike a ball from distance.

Jonas--Guth--Barton--Zoggy

thats a midfield four with pace,power and directness I for one cannot wait to see it in action.

I got laughed out of town on here when I suggested selling Martins to Arsenal in the summer and named Cisse as a possible replacement.

Think the man is quality. Different class to Martins, and that's not kneejerk.

He is virtually identical to Martins, headless chicken with poor touch, control and little awareness of what's going on around him