Palermo game, lineup

Skirge

I hope Bernard gets on at some point. Suicidal starting him though, like it would be to start one of the youngsters. Drift him/them into the side after such a long time out. Especially in a game like this where we'll get absoluely mullered if were not even slightly on the ball.

Guest black n white

harper

taylor  bramble  moore  ramage

milner    emre    nzogbia

solano    sib    luque

Harper

Taylor                        Moore                            Ramage

Solano                  Butt                  Emre              NZogbia                  Milner

Sibierski                                          Luque                             

Guest NUFC-Babe

We need to be pragmatic here and rest as many regulars for Saturday as we can. Even with a strong lineup we would be unlikely to nick a point off Palermo (let's not forget that their last two macthes have been away wins at AC Milan and Fiorentina and that they are top of Serie A).

Concede the three points to Palermo and focus on getting the three we really need against Sheffield United on Saturday.

I know what your saying but that attitude is crap.  We should be trying to win EVERY game. 

Sheff U are very beatable even with a slightly tired team so why not have a go at Palermo?

We need to be pragmatic here and rest as many regulars for Saturday as we can. Even with a strong lineup we would be unlikely to nick a point off Palermo (let's not forget that their last two macthes have been away wins at AC Milan and Fiorentina and that they are top of Serie A).

Concede the three points to Palermo and focus on getting the three we really need against Sheffield United on Saturday.

I know what your saying but that attitude is crap. We should be trying to win EVERY game.

Sheff U are very beatable even with a slightly tired team so why not have a go at Palermo?

Because we simply HAVE to beat Sheff on sat.

Guest uSaMBer

I know what your saying but that attitude is crap. We should be trying to win EVERY game.

Because we simply HAVE to beat Sheff on sat.

crap will we go down on sat night ,yee read to many papers lad

Why Roeder is resting players for the Premiership something we are going for 5th that wins a place for the competition we are resting players in on Thursday... very strange

However with the Squad he has gone out with I would play...

Krul

Ramage Bramble Taylor Bernard

Solano Butt N'Zogbia

Milner Luque

Siberski

On their game I’ve seen them start with a 3-5-2 with defensive wing backs this season so this will be our first time Roeder will have to come up with a way to beat them and this formation, their main strength is the midfield 3 with two box to box midfielders of Braciano and Simplicio who Nicky Butt will have to deal with.

On our game Roeder must be clever in his selection with Charlton on Saturday we need to use our squad to best use, I would of rested players the other way around I see no logic in resting players for a completion we are trying to get points in the league to qualify for next season, however he has done what he has done so looks like we will be without Owen, Martins, Ameobi, Rossi, Duff, Parker, Babayaro, Carr, Given...

Best formation to combat theirs and for us with a injury hit first team line up is as i see it 4-3-2(inside wingers)-1, however I doubt Roeder will go for this formation he will proberly go for a defensive version of it which is 4-5-1 which will be as effective as when we used it up in Old Trafford, however either way its a chance for Luque in the team which will be intresting, I would play Alberto as a Inside Left a position he was a star for back in Spain for Deportivo and also I would use Milner in this Inside forward position on the right.

As the midfeld three up against there three i would play Nicky Butt as the screen who will have to watch Simplicio and Braciano runs and N'Zogbia for energy on the left of him and Solano on the right of him to link up the play between our midfeld 3 and our front 3.

Either way with Roeder 4-5-1 or the 4-3-2-1 i think we should go with Siberski has a big job on as lone striker.

Result- I think it will be close but if Roeder goes for the right formation then we can get a draw Palermo 1v1 Newcastle,

Howay the Lads

Harper

Taylor        Ramage          Moore      Baba

Butt

Parker

Milner                                           Duff

N'Zogbia

Luque

Is about the best team we can play at the moment. No doubt Roeder will decided Carr and Bramble should start, therefore we will get wooped by a vastly superior footballing side who play the game by defending well and passing the football.

Proving how little you know really.  Brambles stats for European games are good for a CB :-

06/07    6 games  1 goal -  Europe

05/06    Not in Europe

04/05    6 games 0 Goals - Europe We crumbled when Bramble and Dyer left the pitch

03/04    11 games  3 goals - Europe

Also to actually get the games in Europe the team ( Carr and Bramble) must have defended fairly well to progress.

If you look at how many of those games were against decent European opposition, you will realise that your stats prove nothing. Palermo are a good footballing side and i believe they will tear our defence apart if they play like they have been. Rebellious do you believe Bramble to be a good centre back? I certainly don't! Carr is a decent defender but not the best and i'd prefer to play the likes of Ramage or Taylor. Actually what i'd prefer is a whole new back four.

Guest ryunufc

just a thought, luque will finally get a start. however, this will be the toughest test for him so far because of the opponent and also the venue.  if he do well tonight, the pressure for roeder to play him in the next few games will increase, otherwise it will be increasingly likely that he will be sold in january.

Guest The Fox

Roeder told me today: "Amid all the missed chances against Charlton and the loss of two points, the fact we kept another clean sheet has been forgotten and Nigel Pearson has got to take some of the credit for this.

Personally I thought this was more down to Charlton having the worst away record and the ineptness of their attack rather than any great defending, but Roeder clutches at straws.

As to his options in attack tonight, he knew before the season started that Owen was out, Ameobi was carrying a serious injury and Rossi was cup tied, so its all of his own making.

Guest The Fox

Palermo are supposedly resting players which may be Roeders saving grace from a hammering, although I wouldn't count on it.

United are under-strength, but at the same time everyone in the starting line-up apart from Peter Ramage has represented their country at some level.

It would not surprise me if United lined up as following: Krul, Taylor, Moore, Bramble, Ramage, Solano, Butt, N'Zogbia, Milner, Sibierski or Emre, and Luque.

Uncle Alan's guess for tonight.

We're taking FIVE goalkeepers!? Obviously Pav can't play and Shay won't but still, Rossi can't play either and he's travelled and Emre, Butt, Taylor and Sibierski are doubtful according to .com so basically some of the kids will play. Is that good or bad?

Interpretor :winking:

Apparently, like Carr, Butt has been "top class" this season as well... deputy captain behind Moore as well...

Do my negative goggles prevent me from seeing this or something? What has he contributed this term so far?

...and we're expecting Luque to play as target man by the sounds of things (Roeder is hoping he'll hold the ball up.) Marvellous. I am expecting a decent game, in fairness, but I can't help but laugh at a lot of Roeder's comments recently.

Emre and Sibi both passed fitness tests but Harper is to have a late fitness test, I think he will play though, he has done for a few games now. Playing through the pain for the cause. true Geordie.  :thup:

He failed according to AO so Krul will debut tonight.

Guest Ridzuan

I dont like the sound of Krul starting.Lets hope he can do a good job for us.For some reason,I see him too skinny to be a goalkeeper.