FORUM UPDATES: Slow tonight for 15 mins, doing some digging...

Dave

Hosts have tweaked all they can in the current set-up and because some people are still struggling I think we'll be moving up a level as far as their hosting packages go. So we'll see how we go with that.

That'll not help if the database is the problem.

Getting more and more errors throughout the day here. Have you tried asking for help on the SMF forums?

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=59691.0

The new server is great though. I blame the old server for the state it left the database in, the forum software for quitting in the middle of db queries, and of course the forum users for complaining about it. Did you pay for 3 years up front? Better not complain too much or they'll have no choice but to take the money & try to pass the business on to someone else.

:lol:

The best bit is...

I blame the old server for the state it left the database in...

...is partially true.

We've signed up to the SMF charter membership btw, so will be getting some answers soon.

:lol:

The best bit is...

I blame the old server for the state it left the database in...

...is partially true.

We've signed up to the SMF charter membership btw, so will be getting some answers soon.

If it can't be fixed soon then bin the old stuff and re-install the forum software. 

FWIW we might end up having to start over with this place.

That would mean a new theme (inevitable), a new SMF install and potentially a brand new database. That would mean no existing posts, and perhaps even requiring everyone to register again if we couldn't import the member list table from this database.

Obviously we're hoping things don't come to this, but it's sadly a possibility.

That would mean a new theme (inevitable), a new SMF install and potentially a brand new database. That would mean no existing posts, and perhaps even requiring everyone to register again if we couldn't import the member list table from this database.

Could you run two forums side by side for a period on the same server?

I'm not fucking moving. End of. Me and madras will have a sit-in if thats what it takes.

Could you run two forums side by side for a period on the same server?

Yes, but the plan would be to get the new one 100% up and running then moving everyone over in one go. Leaving the existing forum there (locked) for a month or two for reference purposes.

Again, I stress we're hoping this isn't necessary, but it's on the cards IMO.

I'd advice against such drastic measures, as a lot of people will lose interest and things might not pick up.

I'll ask again to review the error logs, so that we know exactly what is wrong.. I have no idea where SMF stores them and it probably depends on the host's policy, so if you can't find them, contact the host's support. This is important, because the logs contain the actual error and not the generic hacker-unfriendly 'sorry, smf couldn't connect..' message that the users see.

Another advice would be to disable the custom theme and all installed add-ons, strip the forum to minimum functionality and see if we still get the errors.. it's very likely that it might be a db conflict, because of some 3rd party functionality.

hopefully, N-O isn't the first board to experience similar failures and the SMF community will help us out.

Yes, but the plan would be to get the new one 100% up and running then moving everyone over in one go. Leaving the existing forum there (locked) for a month or two for reference purposes.

Again, I stress we're hoping this isn't necessary, but it's on the cards IMO.

You could set up a new temp forum up on the new server, it would be better than the other temp forum which hardly anybody uses and that could then be used as the new forum if everything else fails.

I'd advice against such drastic measures, as a lot of people will lose interest and things might not pick up.

I'll ask again to review the error logs, so that we know exactly what is wrong.. I have no idea where SMF stores them and it probably depends on the host's policy, so if you can't find them, contact the host's support. This is important, because the logs contain the actual error and not the generic hacker-unfriendly 'sorry, smf couldn't connect..' message that the users see.

Another advice would be to disable the custom theme and all installed add-ons, strip the forum to minimum functionality and see if we still get the errors.. it's very likely that it might be a db conflict, because of some 3rd party functionality.

hopefully, N-O isn't the first board to experience similar failures and the SMF community will help us out.

I'm largely using it with the default theme and am still getting the errors for what it's worth. I agree that it really shouldn't be necessary to throw everything away, even if you go for a clean install I'm sure you should be able to import the major tables.