Here we go again - No Upson

Skirge

We don't need defenders man, we need forwards.

Defence is not a problem, our lack of goals is the problem.

:shock: :shock:

Lack of goals can still produce a point.  Lack of a defence produces rock all.  Both areas need overhaul, quickly and thoroughly.

Shame really, i like Upson. Great potential, but as has been said, we're looking for a bit more than that right now. He's got Premiership experience though, and was a key figure for Birmingham when they weren't shit. Where are we going to find a decent, experienced centre-back in the Premiership, for a non-extortianate fee? Lost, really.

Shame really, i like Upson. Great potential, but as has been said, we're looking for a bit more than that right now. He's got Premiership experience though, and was a key figure for Birmingham when they weren't shit. Where are we going to find a decent, experienced centre-back in the Premiership, for a non-extortianate fee? Lost, really.

my source of a source of a source says - Distin.

We don't need any new players, we have good team for Championship next season.

Harper

Ramage

Bernard

Bramble

Huntington

Stone

O'Brien

Pattison

Clark

Ameobi

Huckerby

Bring it on!

Am I missing something here ?

He's a bit old to be given the 'potential' tag, he'll be 28 before the season finishes.

As I've said in another thread, Distin or Ben Heim.

He's a bit old to be given the 'potential' tag, he'll be 28 before the season finishes.

Really? God... never knew that.

Distin would be alright i suppose. I used to think he was a bit of a donkey at Man City, and i still think he is capable of being so, but he's a leader at the back with expereince - and he was popular here before. Ben Haim would be great, but Bolton would never sell him. We won't get Lucas Neill either...

Moritz Volz - £2m

Sylvain Distin - £3m

Wayne Bridge - £3m

Mark Viduka - £2m

David Nugent - £4m

... is more realistic and wouldn't be so terrible in my opinion.

Distin would be alright i suppose. I used to think he was a bit of a donkey at Man City, and i still think he is capable of being so, but he's a leader at the back with expereince - and he was popular here before. Ben Haim would be great, but Bolton would never sell him. We won't get Lucas Neill either...

Moritz Volz - £2m

Sylvain Distin - £3m

Wayne Bridge - £3m

Mark Viduka - £2m

David Nugent - £4m

........if we can find £14m to spend, which will probably mean selling a couple of players and borrowing the rest

Moritz Volz - £2m

Sylvain Distin - £3m

Wayne Bridge - £3m

Mark Viduka - £2m

David Nugent - £4m

........if we can find £14m to spend, which will probably mean selling a couple of players and borrowing the rest

Well, if the original rumours about Neill, Upson, Bridge, Davies and Nugent were true, we'd have to spend more than £14m.

Moritz Volz - £2m

Sylvain Distin - £3m

Wayne Bridge - £3m

Mark Viduka - £2m

David Nugent - £4m

Well, if the original rumours about Neill, Upson, Bridge, Davies and Nugent were true, we'd have to spend more than £14m.

Who knows if the rumours are true or not?  The accounts suggest we're flat broke, imo the better Roeder does before January, the less likely we are to go on a spending spree.  Knowing us, we'll make that call on 30 January  bluebiggrin.gif.

We don't need any new players, we have good team for Championship next season.

Harper

Ramage

Bernard

Bramble

Huntington

Stone

O'Brien

Pattison

Clark

Ameobi

Huckerby

Bring it on!

Am I missing something here ?

I just gave Stone & Huckerby as examples of the type of player we'd probably sign in that division (ie, a born-and-bred Geordie & a former Newcastle player not good enough for us at the top level but could be canny in the Championship).

have to say im glad, i think upson is very very average, better than what we have like, but he would cost a canny bit i reckon

he is out of contract in the summer so should not be that much and would be ok as a second defender

No hes not..

Birmingham City have taken up the option to keep Matthew Upson at St Andrews until 2008.

Upson's contract was due to expire at the end of the season, but Blues have exercised a clause which allows them to extend the defender's deal by a further two years.

Blues boss Steve Bruce had stated earlier this month that talks regarding Upson's future were on hold until the summer due to the club's relegation battle.

But after the centre half ruptured his Achilles prior to Sunday's derby defeat at Aston Villa, Birmingham have now moved to secure Upson's future.

Bruce confirmed the stopper, who turned 27 on Tuesday, will be staying at St Andrews and has backed Upson to recover from the injury which will sideline him for at least six months.

"We have already exercised the two-year option," Bruce told the club's official website.

"Matt's going to be out for at least six months and, as we've learnt with others, it will take him another six months after that before we see the 'real' Matt Upson.

"But I am sure he will recover and it helps that he is a strong character and mentally tough.

"He's come back from breaking his leg and doing his cruciate knee ligaments before and he will come back again."

Since joining Blues from Arsenal in January 2003, Upson has made over 100 appearances for the club, but had not played since early February due to groin and pelvic injuries.

Upson was due to make his comeback at Villa on Easter Sunday, only to break down with the Achilles injury which will keep him out until the autumn at the earliest.

Good, as a couple of others have said VERY average!

Yes he is better than what we have but then if we want to actually progress we need to go for a lot better than we have and Upson isnt that player! Plus he isnt the leader we need!

More chance of us going for Martin Taylor the Ashington lad.

Was thinking about the hype "Big" Martin Taylor got when he first came on the scene for Blackburn.

What happened to the other two Souness brought through there? (McEverley & Gallagher).

I think McEverley gets a game every now and then (was supposed to be the next big thing) and Gallagher MAY be out on loan although I think he may have played a game or 2 back  :lol:

Basically not lived up to the hype  bluebiggrin.gif