Taking Jonas off

Yorkie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Post-2004 would be more correct.

He scored 28 goals in that 03/04 season.

But i'm being pedantic.

how many league away goals did Shearer score in 2004?

answer: 0  O0

How many goals did he score in 2004?

how many goals would you score if you took penalties? a few i'd suspect

Guest JamesyJazz

Duff to Kinnear is what Shearer was to Souness. Sickening tbh. N'zogbia is blatantly very eager for a chance.

Lol, yet another jibe at Shearer.  Will it ever end?  :lol:

how was that f*** was that a jibe at Shearer?

by the end of 2005, just about everyone was questioning Shearer's constant place in the starting 11 tbh

Really,ok that's your own view,mine?A proven goal scoring machine that he was.I never questioned his inclusion,if he was on the pitch you knew for sure he would give his all for the shirt.

not getting drawn into this argument again but post 2003 (exception of penalties) he was no goal threat whatsoever and the stats prove it

Lol, I think you will find that no one bar you was questioning his inclusion in the team at that time.

I think you will also find that saying he was no goal threat whatsoever post 2003 is also extrememly harsh.  While there is no denying he was much less of a player than he was before, he still scored some fine open play goals.

You must be the only supposed Newcastle fan on the face of the planet who can say that they have ever been dissapointed to see Shearer's name on the teamsheet.

Hilarious.

That's bollocks tbf. There was loads of people on here, including myself, who wanted to see Kluivert and Bellamy up front at a time when Shearer was little threat other than from the spot.

Amen to that. Bellamy and Kluivert looked to be a much better partnership than Shearer and Bellamy in 2004. I think people are forgetting that in his last years all Shearer really did was back into defenders when the ball was played up to him and then try to win a free kick.

Aww c'mon man!Kluivert?Barry Whites fatter brother!Bellamy I can concede was a decent choice but that fat tw*t?Nah!!

Still,everyone is entitled to their own opinion,please don't take offence to my reply.

But i'm being pedantic.

Probably not over 20 like :lol:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7342/shearerwx0.jpg

From .com

But i'm being pedantic.

Probably not over 20 like :lol:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7342/shearerwx0.jpg

From .com

not overly impressive is it all the same. Take away the penalties and you have 8 goals in the league at home in 2004 and 0 away from home.

Does 8 league goals from open play represent a good 2004 to anyone else?

my original point was that he didn't warrant a constant place in the starting 11 post 2003, nowt you've presented contradicts that tbh. You're just bloody obsessed with arguing with me int ya O'brien?

what's that got to do with anything? 8 goals in an entire year is poor and doesn't justify constant selection come rain or shine. Especially when it was the expense of a certain striker who finished our top prem scorer in 04-05 despite being loaned out in January.

grow up man

You're the expert at bypassing the issue. You still haven't revealed what you think about strikers who constantly get picked despite managing only 8 league goals from open play in one year.

When? :lol:

He was our best available goalscorer.  Taking off penalties is a joke anyway and you know it.  Do you want to take of those scored with his right foot as well? He was better with that one after all.

Your turn... How can you say someone who got over 20 goals in a year didn't get enough goals, particularly given the poor standard of a team he was playing in?

And who has scored that many since? And when will the next time someone manages it be in your expert opinion?

Seriously, you make yourself look very stupid sometimes :lol:

grow up man

You're the expert at bypassing the issue. You still haven't revealed what you think about strikers who constantly get picked despite managing only 8 league goals from open play in one year.

He was our best available goalscorer.  Taking off penalties is a joke anyway and you know it.  Do you want to take of those scored with his right foot as well? He was better with that one after all.

Your turn... How can you say someone who got over 20 goals in a year didn't get enough goals, particularly given the poor standard of a team he was playing in?

And who has scored that many since? And when will the next time someone manages it be in your expert opinion?

poor standard? Robert, Speed, Dyer and Bellamy giving support? come on man

Are you honestly saying that his performances in 2004 (0 goals away from home ffs man) warranted constant selection.

He was poor in the league and the stats dont point to anything else, they really dont. They certainly warrant a rethink, or at least giving Bellamy and kluivert a try together.

I know we've done it countless times but when you're discussing a striker's contribution of course you should take off penalties, unless he's winning them all himself through pace or whatnot at least. Common sense.

grow up man

Are you honestly saying that his performances in 2004 (0 goals away from home ffs man) warranted constant selection.

He was poor in the league and the stats dont point to anything else, they really dont. They certainly warrant a rethink, or at least giving Bellamy and kluivert a try together.

Like I already said, he scored 1 away goal in 2004 man, Boro away, pen.

Lol seriously though, what was his injury record like that year?,  any big chunks out?

grow up man

Over 20 goals man, you can cherry pick as much as you want, you're still talking shite :)

Are you basing this whole argument on the continued fitness of Bellamy & Kluivert?

Are you planning on answering the second and third questions?

I'm going to bed now, because I imagine you won't O0

grow up man

Over 20 goals man, you can cherry pick as much as you want, you're still talking s**** :)

Are you basing this whole argument on the continued fitness of Bellamy & Kluivert?

Again, I was talking about his form in the league, which again, you're not even acknowledging.

I'm not gonna answer stupid questions, we all know the answer to the second, the third will surely be soon, when we have a striker who takes penalties, stays fit and plays against part-timers once every 2 weeks.

grow up man

Over 20 goals man, you can cherry pick as much as you want, you're still talking s**** :)

Again, I was talking about his form in the league, which again, you're not even acknowledging.

I'm not gonna answer stupid questions, we all know the answer to the second, the third will surely be soon, when we have a striker who takes penalties, stays fit and plays against part-timers once every 2 weeks.

But he just stood off players all the way through the second half though, and offered absolutely nothing going forward. Atleast when Jonas got it he ran at players and gained some yards. Duff just gives us absolutely nothing.

Guest battyleespeed

I thought either Kinnear or Houghton, whoever made the call, got the substition spot on. Just before Jonas was taken off he wasn't able to track back effectively anymore and completely lost the winger cutting inside. Not only was his movement tired looking but that defensive lapse was obvious case of player losing concentration because of fatique. Also Chelsea subbed Malouda and got pair of fresh legs on so we needed to counter that as well. Duff wasn't showing that much fatique so there wasn't need to sub him.