Owen suggests 3 pronged attack?

Guest Heneage

tbf, we need a decent ball winner in a midfield 3...  And, I see no other option than butt until barton returns.

Guthrie can win the ball in the centre, Butt gives it away far too often anyway.

Me too. But once Viduka gets back to full fitness, which shouldn't be more than a game or two, we should start the three of them. For now, I'd start Owen and Martins and change Zoggy or Duff for Viduka around the 60 minute mark (if we need another goal, obviously)

tbf, we need a decent ball winner in a midfield 3...  And, I see no other option than butt until barton returns.

Guthrie can win the ball in the centre, Butt gives it away far too often anyway.

guthrie can...but doesn't enough and he doesn't have the ball enough to take the blame. my guess is the central midfielders will carry the blame as we have one outlet wide (jonas) and without owen,no decent movement upfront.

whoever we get in centre mid will get stick for either being negative or losing the ball as the attacking alternatives are so poor.

guthrie can...but doesn't enough and he doesn't have the ball enough to take the blame. my guess is the central midfielders will carry the blame as we have one outlet wide (jonas) and without owen,no decent movement upfront.

whoever we get in centre mid will get stick for either being negative or losing the ball as the attacking alternatives are so poor.

Regarding Guthrie, it might be a lack of willingness to take responsibility while he's playing next to a more experienced player.  Take Butt out of it and that would have to change.

Regarding Guthrie, it might be a lack of willingness to take responsibility while he's playing next to a more experienced player.  Take Butt out of it and that would have to change.

subjective call. i'm not so sure he's up to it.

It worked well last season with Butt Geremi and Barton in midfield, don't see any reasons why it wouldn't work with Guthrie (better than Geremi), Butt (only slightly worse than Butt six months ago) and Jonas (better than Barton)

You can only find out by trying it, I think he'd shine but don't know if he could do it for 90 minutes yet.  I think to play that formation means the central midfielder has to play the ball to one side and allow somebody else to take it forwards, you obviously need some flexibility.

It worked well last season with Butt Geremi and Barton in midfield, don't see any reasons why it wouldn't work with Guthrie (better than Geremi), Butt (only slightly worse than Butt six months ago) and Jonas (better than Barton)

all seasoned central midfielders 9even geremi had played there plenty) as opposed to guthrie and two more natural and lesser experienced wide players.

all seasoned central midfielders 9even geremi had played there plenty) as opposed to guthrie and two more natural and lesser experienced wide players.

Butt would still be there.

I'd even put Jonas on the bench if we had to play three CMs for this formation to work, with Geremi, Butt and Guthrie in midfield.

I'd even put Jonas on the bench if we had to play three CMs for this formation to work, with Geremi, Butt and Guthrie in midfield.

her being gone is really messing with your brain isn't it ?

even in a 3 man midfield i'd have jonas in before guthrie and as i've mentioned the chance of owen and viduka lasting the 90 adequatly we have no need to push the 3 up fronty as of yet.

I can't wait until the day comes when Butt isn't an automatic choice, I think he's a weakness and that needs sorting.

I can't wait until the day comes when Butt isn't an automatic choice, I think he's a weakness and that needs sorting.

i think he's the best we have in aposition that needs sorting

even in a 3 man midfield i'd have jonas in before guthrie and as i've mentioned the chance of owen and viduka lasting the 90 adequatly we have no need to push the 3 up fronty as of yet.

:lol:

Sorry, I haven't read all the replies, just thought that you missed me suggesting Jonas, Guthrie and Butt.

But would Zog - Butt - Jonas work in the centre of the park? Maybe Guthrie in there somewhere

Sorted.

Yup. Butt out and we'll be fine in my opinion.

Jonas - Guthrie - N'Zogbia

Owen

Viduka - Martins

Gonna be ripped to shreds.

By Stoke?

Really?

Exactly. Guthrie is more than capable of winning the ball in the middle and picking a pass (unlike Butt). Jonas and N'Zogbia also do their fair share of getting back. The workrate of those three would be enough for it to work.

Sorry, I haven't read all the replies, just thought that you missed me suggesting Jonas, Guthrie and Butt.

and you missed me saying that due to fitness i wouldn't play all three up front yet ?

we need a pic of the miss otherwise she may turn into a wormy style cause celebre

and you missed me saying that due to fitness i wouldn't play all three up front yet ?

we need a pic of the miss otherwise she may turn into a wormy style cause celebre

Me too. But once Viduka gets back to full fitness, which shouldn't be more than a game or two, we should start the three of them. For now, I'd start Owen and Martins and change Zoggy or Duff for Viduka around the 60 minute mark (if we need another goal, obviously)

owen reckons it takes him 5 or 6 games to get back after a month out yet viduka will be fit for 90mins after having a couple of games after being out since may ?

owen reckons it takes him 5 or 6 games to get back after a month out yet viduka will be fit for 90mins after having a couple of games after being out since may ?

Point taken, but it's not like Owen doesn't play for 5 or six games after coming back. You need to play to get match fit, so for as much as possible, we should play Viduka, Owen and Martins. Whether that will be for 30 minutes in six games or 90 minutes from Saturday, that's up to how fit Viduka is (which is hard for us to say, really)

Point taken, but it's not like Owen doesn't play for 5 or six games after coming back. You need to play to get match fit, so for as much as possible, we should play Viduka, Owen and Martins. Whether that will be for 30 minutes in six games or 90 minutes from Saturday, that's up to how fit Viduka is (which is hard for us to say, really)

i disagree, they should be played back in. owen can mange an hour or so,then bring viduka on till he builds it up. by the time viduka is fit enough to start............well, you might have shagged her, i'll have mastered this keyboard and all will be well with the nufc world.

i disagree, they should be played back in. owen can mange an hour or so,then bring viduka on till he builds it up. by the time viduka is fit enough to start............well, you might have shagged her, i'll have mastered this keyboard and all will be well with the nufc world.

None of them sounds plausible, tbh :lol:

None of them sounds plausible, tbh :lol:

true

sadly true