Owen suggests 3 pronged attack?

Guest Heneage

guthrie can...but doesn't enough and he doesn't have the ball enough to take the blame. my guess is the central midfielders will carry the blame as we have one outlet wide (jonas) and without owen,no decent movement upfront.

whoever we get in centre mid will get stick for either being negative or losing the ball as the attacking alternatives are so poor.

Regarding Guthrie, it might be a lack of willingness to take responsibility while he's playing next to a more experienced player.  Take Butt out of it and that would have to change.

subjective call. i'm not so sure he's up to it.

It worked well last season with Butt Geremi and Barton in midfield, don't see any reasons why it wouldn't work with Guthrie (better than Geremi), Butt (only slightly worse than Butt six months ago) and Jonas (better than Barton)

all seasoned central midfielders 9even geremi had played there plenty) as opposed to guthrie and two more natural and lesser experienced wide players.

Butt would still be there.

I'd even put Jonas on the bench if we had to play three CMs for this formation to work, with Geremi, Butt and Guthrie in midfield.

her being gone is really messing with your brain isn't it ?

even in a 3 man midfield i'd have jonas in before guthrie and as i've mentioned the chance of owen and viduka lasting the 90 adequatly we have no need to push the 3 up fronty as of yet.

:lol:

Sorry, I haven't read all the replies, just thought that you missed me suggesting Jonas, Guthrie and Butt.

and you missed me saying that due to fitness i wouldn't play all three up front yet ?

we need a pic of the miss otherwise she may turn into a wormy style cause celebre

Me too. But once Viduka gets back to full fitness, which shouldn't be more than a game or two, we should start the three of them. For now, I'd start Owen and Martins and change Zoggy or Duff for Viduka around the 60 minute mark (if we need another goal, obviously)

owen reckons it takes him 5 or 6 games to get back after a month out yet viduka will be fit for 90mins after having a couple of games after being out since may ?

Point taken, but it's not like Owen doesn't play for 5 or six games after coming back. You need to play to get match fit, so for as much as possible, we should play Viduka, Owen and Martins. Whether that will be for 30 minutes in six games or 90 minutes from Saturday, that's up to how fit Viduka is (which is hard for us to say, really)

i disagree, they should be played back in. owen can mange an hour or so,then bring viduka on till he builds it up. by the time viduka is fit enough to start............well, you might have shagged her, i'll have mastered this keyboard and all will be well with the nufc world.

None of them sounds plausible, tbh :lol:

true

sadly true

Indeed :undecided:

I'd go Gutierrez LCM, Geremi RCM, then either one of Guthrie & Butt.

yeah ?

but have to you been totally in love with a girl who doessn't know you exist and fucked off to spain and near got off with your best mate ?

if you can't answer yes your view is invalid frankly!

yeah ?

but have to you been totally in love with a girl who doessn't know you exist and fucked off to spain and near got off with your best mate ?

She obviously do know who I am, how else would she nearly have gotten off with my mate :shifty:

yeah ?

but have to you been totally in love with a girl who doessn't know you exist and f***ed off to spain and near got off with your best mate ?

She obviously do know who I am, how else would she nearly have gotten off with my mate :shifty:

that just means she knows who your mate is.

It makes sense, esp in home games - Owen is more dangerous now when coming in from a withdrawn role behind a target man and second forward ; Viduka is better than the other 2 at holding the ball, Martins has good pace, and Owen has the skill and sense for goal-chances around the box.

Would use Zog in LM role at home, Jonas away, with both players coming on as late subs if needed ; Zog has the direct pace to threaten tired defenders in away games late on, and Jonas can keep the ball better(necessary in home matches when you are hanging on for a result near the end).

Guest The Wise Guy

I have always agree with what Owen has to say about the club and it is still the same case with this one. The 3 pronged attack worked very well for us last season and there is no reason why it cannot happen again if we try using it this season. But reading from what Joe had to say about it, it seems like he will not be using it anytime soon so Im hoping he will listen to his captain and change his mind about it.

Guest ryunufc

I'm not sure with the midfield selection, but it should give our opponents something to worry about. can it get worse with the current 4 midfielders with Butt?

Bit worrying that we've now had two players using the media to hint to the manager what system he should be playing. Might be nothing in it, might be that they think he's not competent enough to see beyond the basic 4-4-2 formation and realise there might be a better way to deploy his best players.

Guest diddimz

I'm not sure with the midfield selection, but it should give our opponents something to worry about. can it get worse with the current 4 midfielders with Butt?

Same midfield Keegan had and he did alrit with it.

I think Kinnear will try the 4-3-3 once Viduka becomes fit for 90 minutes (which he probably won't be for Stoke.)

It's just too difficult a decision to choose two out of Owen/Viduka/Martins, and I don't think Kinnear can make that choice.

How hard can it be, just go out to training and say "Alright lads, you remember what Kevin used to tell you to do last year? Just go out and do that." :lol:

Agree entirely with that. If it's the 4-3-3, of course. Love Zoggy to bits and i'd like to see him have some more gametime, but if we're going with the 4-3-3 we need Jonas, and we need someone with consistent delivery. That's Gezza, and he has to be in the team no matter what as far as i'm concerned.

That said, i don't think he'll go with the 4-3-3 and i'm not that fussed. 1, because this 4-4-2 we've got on the go is working very well away from home - it'd be good to see how it works at SJP. And 2, because the 4-3-3 everyone wants was purely Keegan, Kinnear won't be able to mimic it exactly and people will just be disappointed.

Guest Darth Toon

And 2, because the 4-3-3 everyone wants was purely Keegan, Kinnear won't be able to mimic it exactly and people will just be disappointed.

I agree with that - there was comments from Pulis (I think?) yesterday saying JFK has us much more organised, where with keegan players were just allowed to go out and express themselves.

I don't think Kinnear has the mentality to just go for it like a KK team would.

Bit worrying that we've now had two players using the media to hint to the manager what system he should be playing. Might be nothing in it, might be that they think he's not competent enough to see beyond the basic 4-4-2 formation and realise there might be a better way to deploy his best players.

I am starting to worry a little that we might be falling into a similar situation to the England/McLaren situation where it was rumoured where the players were starting to dictate the formation and style of play.

Once that happens, I think things start to go wrong in the dressing room.

"Sorry Michael, but I was trying everything I could for 2 hours last night and I just couldn't see any way to fit a 3 pronged strikeforce into a 4-4-2. Stick to playing, son, leave managing to the big boys."