Fantastic news!

Dave

Giving Butt a new contract doesn't mean we're not going to sign a new midfielder. The summer Shearer got his last one-year contract we spent £16m on Michael Owen.

Aye, I can really see Mike Ashley sanctioning that one. :lol:

:lol: :lol: modric  :lol: :lol:

Yeah because he was also trying to sell the club last January when he put up the money for that deal.

It's more the whole "yeah right, as if Mike Ashley would ever do that" (spend big money on one player) comment. It's just nonsense generally. I'm hardly an Ashley fanboy but to say he hasn't been willing to spend big on a player is cobblers. Coloccini is proof of that and it was made public that we bid big money for Modric. More than Spurs did iirc.

It was also made public that we had no debt. That was also a lie.

Giving Butt a new contract doesn't mean we're not going to sign a new midfielder. The summer Shearer got his last one-year contract we spent £16m on Michael Owen.

Yeah because he was also trying to sell the club last January when he put up the money for that deal.

and now the fans are pissed because he wont spend after they've basically driven him out?

flawless logic.

He wasn't spending anyway. That's why Nicky Butt is still a first teamer.

Butt is still a first-teamer because £6m was spunked on Alan Smith with the Dyer money rather than an actual midfielder.

Mmm nope. Butt needed replacing in the summer but Dennis knew better.

At the end of the day, in the summer the guys at the top tried to be too careful with finances, as far as transfers go. I was all for their consolidation of funds idea - it was a fair policy imo (given the regime we'd just come out of). But, as with the vast majority of his policies, the execution was pretty woeful. We should have got a centre-mid.

But to say he wasn't willing to spend big on just one player (i know, Wullie, you didn't say that exactly, but you hinted at it), is just incorrect.

"In his time of owning it, Mike has cleaned up the balance sheets and Newcastle is one of the few clubs that has no debt whatsoever, so that makes it very attractive to an incoming owner." - Keith Harris.

I've seen no quotes since then which says otherwise?

Eh? Ashley's done nothing but whinge for months about the money still owed on transfers (as if every club isn't run that same way).

and now the fans are pissed because he wont spend after they've basically driven him out?

flawless logic.

Butt is still a first-teamer because £6m was spunked on Alan Smith with the Dyer money rather than an actual midfielder.

Yeah, he signed Guthrie. Only a year after the board sanctioned a £5.8m transfer of Barton, as well as giving a big contract to Geremi.

So managers have signed, in their time under Mike Ashley four midfielders (or midfielders in the manager's eyes) in Barton, Geremi, Guthrie & Smith...that's not including Nacho Gonzalez.

That's not the board's fault that two managers have spent a fair bit on midfielders and yet Butt still plays.

The thought of us possibly watching Butt and Shola next season is almost a fate worse than death, they are terrible footballers and part of the reason we're 4th bottom.

We need to get rid of these players if we're going to move on.

we also dont want to get rid of players for nowt if we can get fees for them (taking into account wages etc).

i still think butt's problem is similar to when he first came here...no movement=no options for him to pass.

but madras...you prefer players with nous as opposed to pace and movement. So your preferred 11 would be..?

flawless logic.

Yeah, he signed Guthrie. Only a year after the board sanctioned a £5.8m transfer of Barton, as well as giving a big contract to Geremi.

So managers have signed, in their time under Mike Ashley four midfielders (or midfielders in the manager's eyes) in Barton, Geremi, Guthrie & Smith...that's not including Nacho Gonzalez.

That's not the board's fault that two managers have spent a fair bit on midfielders and yet Butt still plays.

He couldn't sign £18m Modric so went for £2m Guthrie? The obvious choice. :laugh:

Which two managers are you on about?

"In his time of owning it, Mike has cleaned up the balance sheets and Newcastle is one of the few clubs that has no debt whatsoever, so that makes it very attractive to an incoming owner." - Keith Harris.

Eh? Ashley's done nothing but whinge for months about the money still owed on transfers (as if every club isn't run that same way).

So the club has been saying it still has debts, 3rd-party says it hasn't...how's that the club's fault then?

flawless logic.

He couldn't sign £18m Modric so went for £2m Guthrie? The obvious choice. :laugh:

Allardyce who signed the first three, and Keegan who signed Guthrie.

we also dont want to get rid of players for nowt if we can get fees for them (taking into account wages etc).

i still think butt's problem is similar to when he first came here...no movement=no options for him to pass.

I think Butt's problem is that he holds us back as a team and that was proven first half against Stoke although you could throw the second half display back at me.  I expected the first half display when I first heard the team we were putting out and I wouldn't have felt that way if he was playing.  He could do a job as back-up but I don't think Kinnear is clever enough to use him like that.  I think if he's fit he'll start and I'd rather see him go than be a first choice.

We would have to replace him if we let him go but I think we can do that and get a better player in his place.

flawless logic.

Modric was available. What other big money centre-mids were part of the transfer merry-go-round this summer? Deco? Oh aye... Chelsea or Newcastle, hmm.

I don't really get what your arguing Wullie man. Are you saying he Ashley hasn't/wouldn't spend big on players? He has done - Coloccini is hard evidence of that. And again, tbh, i believed Mort when he said we bid for Modric and i still do.

So the club has been saying it still has debts, 3rd-party says it hasn't...how's that the club's fault then?

I've got absolutely no idea what you're on about. What's Keith Harris got to do with anything?

flawless logic.

Blame Keegan, always the easy get out card. :rolleyes:

I've got absolutely no idea what you're on about. What's Keith Harris got to do with anything?

Well you've just said the club said they'd paid off all their debts, but then said Ashley's been saying for months we're in debt...so what are you on about?

I think Butt's problem is that he holds us back as a team and that was proven first half against Stoke although you could throw the second half display back at me.  I expected the first half display when I first heard the team we were putting out and I wouldn't have felt that way if he was playing.  He could do a job as back-up but I don't think Kinnear is clever enough to use him like that.  I think if he's fit he'll start and I'd rather see him go than be a first choice.

We would have to replace him if we let him go but I think we can do that and get a better player in his place.

could have said the same thing two months intio his first stint here. then he came back, we had a little movement,different player.

ask yourself if it;s his choice, the managers or the lack of effort,guile from midfield teammates that means he is too often the furthest forward of our midfielders ?

flawless logic.

Modric was available. What other big money centre-mids were part of the transfer merry-go-round this summer? Deco? Oh aye... Chelsea or Newcastle, hmm.

I don't really get what your arguing Wullie man. Are you saying he Ashley hasn't/wouldn't spend big on players? He has done - Coloccini is hard evidence of that. And again, tbh, i believed Mort when he said we bid for Modric and i still do.

Fair enough, believe what you like. I believe he's a bare faced liar.

£10m on one player alone is not "spending big" in my eyes.

:lol: :lol: modric :lol: :lol:

flawless logic.

Who the hell is blaming Keegan? Yeah, damn that Kegan for bringing in a decent young English midfielder. :rolleyes: He's just saying that the midfield signings from our previous two managers have been unable to bring in any one to displace Butt. Every debate on here turns into a Keegan/Ashley vs. world at some point. Frankly, Keegan has very little to do with this as he was barely even here.

*I can't really tell if your showing sarcasm or not :lol:

flawless logic.

Of course, it's all Ashley's fault that we've signed 5 midfielders and yet Butt is first-choice.

And Keegan himself said he signed Guthrie after he impressed against us for Bolton.

flawless logic.

£6.3m on a left-back, club record.

£10.6m on a centre-back, club record.

£6m on Alan Smith.

£5.6m on a Spanish U-21 striker.

£5.8m on Joey Barton.

£7m+ on Jonas Gutierrez.

flawless logic.

Of course, it's all Ashley's fault that we've signed 5 midfielders and yet Butt is first-choice.

And Keegan himself said he signed Guthrie after he impressed against us for Bolton.

It is Ashley's fault because he didn't allow Keegan to go out and buy the players he wanted (which I'm pretty sure would have included midfielders other than Guthrie).

Well you've just said the club said they'd paid off all their debts, but then said Ashley's been saying for months we're in debt...so what are you on about?

They said one thing. Then said another. They lied. It's not rocket science.

flawless logic.

It is Ashley's fault because he didn't allow Keegan to go out and buy the players he wanted (which I'm pretty sure would have included midfielders other than Guthrie).

I'd say Modric was an example that we tried, but failed.

flawless logic.

£6.3m on a left-back, club record.

£10.6m on a centre-back, club record.

£6m on Alan Smith.

£5.6m on a Spanish U-21 striker.

£5.8m on Joey Barton.

£7m+ on Jonas Gutierrez.

£7m+ on Jonas? How's that like?

He's got nearly all the rest back man.