West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So from ten days to "possibly back for the derby" to "could be back for Fulham" to "another 3 weeks".

Call me cynical but has the club been playing this injury down as to bypass a hysterical need for a new striker? I wouldn't be surprised that the truth about the injury comes out after Monday.

We are very much struggling for goals and if Carroll is going to be out long term then the club wants an arse kicking for not sorting out cover. Our striking options at the moment aren't good enough and it's costing us points.

Or they could be downplaying it for a better bargaining position if we are trying to buy someone. If we are desperate people will ask for more money.

However both scenarios seem unlikely as we could now have gone until Monday without changing the story, but we have indeed gone and done so.

You can see it coming now sometime next week: "The extent of Andy's injury only came to light very late in the window and we were too short on time to get a new man in. We have every faith in Shola, Besty, Peter and don't forget young Nile."

You can see it coming now sometime next week: "The extent of Andy's injury only came to light very late in the window and we were too short on time to get a new man in. We have every faith in Shola, Besty, Peter and don't forget young Xisco."

FYP ;)

Guest bmoregeordie

So from ten days to "possibly back for the derby" to "could be back for Fulham" to "another 3 weeks".

Call me cynical but has the club been playing this injury down as to bypass a hysterical need for a new striker? I wouldn't be surprised that the truth about the injury comes out after Monday.

We are very much struggling for goals and if Carroll is going to be out long term then the club wants an arse kicking for not sorting out cover. Our striking options at the moment aren't good enough and it's costing us points.

Or they could be downplaying it for a better bargaining position if we are trying to buy someone. If we are desperate people will ask for more money.

However both scenarios seem unlikely as we could now have gone until Monday without changing the story, but we have indeed gone and done so.

i can see it both ways as well. if they play up the injury, the injury chases the big clubs away for this transfer window. gives ashley a chance to sign him long-term. on the other hand, if he's really hurt, they'll have to overpay for a striker.

course, they could just be clueless. that's more likely, isn't it?

I'm convinced that had we a decent striker available, we would have put both Spurs and the Mackems to bed. A lack of a decent striker in those two games at least has really cost us and will continue to do so as long as we have only Shola, Lovenkrands, Ranger and Best to rely on.

Guest neesy111

i can see it both ways as well. if they play up the injury, the injury chases the big clubs away for this transfer window. gives ashley a chance to sign him long-term. on the other hand, if he's really hurt, they'll have to overpay for a striker.

course, they could just be clueless. that's more likely, isn't it?

He signed a new contract in November, so we don't need to think about signing him to a new deal.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Injury is a tear to the thigh muscle 'just above the tendon where it joins the knee'. Sounds dodgy. :undecided:

That's an unusual place to have a tear in your thigh muscle. Most football related quad tears are mid-high in the muscle

Depends on what 'grade' the tear is. Could be anything from 2 weeks to 3 months

Injury is a tear to the thigh muscle 'just above the tendon where it joins the knee'. Sounds dodgy. :undecided:

That's an unusual place to have a tear in your thigh muscle. Most football related quad tears are mid-high in the muscle

Depends on what 'grade' the tear is. Could be anything from 2 weeks to 3 months

Pardew mentions that it's not an area that gets great circulation.

Guest icemanblue

Where's this from, Dave?

I find it strange that the diagnosis wasn't conclusive 4 weeks ago?

Indeed.

Thats the problem with MRI scans etc tho, when it initially happened the main detectable signal; change may have been mid thigh, now the swelling has reduced. Remember MRI are all passive scans too so not all scans are conclusive.

Found this out to my own cost recently thanks to a football related MCL and cartiledge problem, which has had me laid up for the past 4 months.

Did Pardew say where in Sweden Carroll was going to get his injury checked out?

Strømstad  :pow:

Strömstad

I heard Svinesund.

Sound like its in the north.

Pardew did say this:

This guy is in the arctic end of Sweden and he’ll be flying out on Friday and we’re hoping he’ll be able to turn him around quickly.

Did Pardew say where in Sweden Carroll was going to get his injury checked out?

Strømstad  :pow:

Strömstad

I heard Svinesund.

Sound like its in the north.

Pardew did say this:

This guy is in the arctic end of Sweden and he’ll be flying out on Friday and we’re hoping he’ll be able to turn him around quickly.

Probably Umeå and their sport medical institute where both Zlatan and Vermaalen for exampel been to. it´s a shame that I reasonally moved away from there :weep:

As long as he fully recovers, i don't mind how long it takes. We've coped pretty well since his injury.

It's important that these things are done properly. It would be nice for us to sign a bit of cover for him in this window.