West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Was Carroll told  how much Liverpool were willing to pay him before he asked for the new contract?

I'm sure his agent had been fully informed (the smooth and quick signing of terms with Liverpool last night would certainly suggest that too).

If this was prior to the bid being accepted and Carroll being allowed to speak to Liverpool, is that not considered tapping up?

Happens every single transfer

Guest neesy111

Was Carroll told  how much Liverpool were willing to pay him before he asked for the new contract?

I'm sure his agent had been fully informed (the smooth and quick signing of terms with Liverpool last night would certainly suggest that too).

If this was prior to the bid being accepted and Carroll being allowed to speak to Liverpool, is that not considered tapping up?

Should be, but it is normal.

The thought of the evil midget puppet monster Derek Llambias, backing the monster manboy Andy Carroll into a corner cowering in fear.  :lol:

No matter what he is still a 22-year-old kid, having to make decisions of a size most people never have to. It makes perfect sense to me if he feels like being put in a corner if Derek (or his agent or both) actually told him to hand in a transfer request.

Was Carroll told  how much Liverpool were willing to pay him before he asked for the new contract?

What? The club contacting the player and telling them how much they would pay him if he would be willing to sign for them prior to any deal being close to being struck?

Guest neesy111

Pards told him to put it in writing... hmmm

The transfer request?

That he wanted a new deal and if not he wanted to be allowed to talk to Liverpool

I'm guessing, Carroll didn't deliver it ???

Guest johnson293

And probably standard approach on deadline day, to allow things to happen quicker!

Guest neesy111

What? The club contacting the player and telling them how much they would pay him if he would be willing to sign for them?

Just about, clubs don't report it as they do it themselves.  Why on earth did Rooney put a request in!  Cos he knew how much city would pay him.

What? The club contacting the player and telling them how much they would pay him if he would be willing to sign for them?

Just about, clubs don't report it as they do it themselves.  Why on earth did Rooney put a request in!  Cos he knew how much city would pay him.

In the case of Man City you would probably just assume.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No idea why, but i'd sooner trust Pardew than Carroll

Probably because Pardew doesn't look like ManBearPig.

Guest Thump 1892

What actually happened:

Liverpool: "£30m for Andy Carroll?  We'd like this to be dealt with ASAP as we need cover so we can sell Torres for a ridiculous amount of money."

Newcastle: "Hm... that's not a terrible bid, but I'm afraid we'll have to reject it.  Sorry."

Liverpool: "Okay, okay, £35m plus add ons."

Newcastle: "Very tempting.  Tell you what, give us an hour or so."

Andy Carroll is called into the room.

Newcastle: "So, Liverpool are offering a huge amount of money for you and we'd like to accept it.  How do you feel about this?"

Andy: "Really?  They'll offer me more money!  I'd love to stay at NUFC and wear the number 9 for many years but only if you can match Liverpool's wages."

Newcastle: "lol no"

Andy: "Please?"

Newcastle: "You've only just signed a contract, we can't renegotiate now.  We said we'd look at it in the summer and that stands."

Andy: "I'd like to speak to my agent."

Andy leaves to talk to his agent.

Agent: "Liverpool are in for you?  My god!  I'll be rich!"

Andy: "So I should take it?"

Agent: "We'll hand in a transfer request right now!"

Andy receives another text from Steve Wraith.  He tells him what the fans want to hear - bad press for the 'cockney mafia' - largely to save face so he doesn't go down in history as the most traitorous number 9 we have ever had.

They enter the board room again.

Andy: "After speaking with my agent, I've decided I can't possibly live off £40,000 a week and have therefore decided to hand in a transfer request."

Newcastle: "Suits us, righto."

Cue Mike, Derek and Alan popping Dom Perignon and Cristal and smoking Cuban's.

Summary: Everybody is in the wrong and while we got a good amount of money for it, we should never have let him go.  Likewise should Andy have simply refused terms with Liverpool; he remains to be the most traitorous number 9 we've ever had and the board strongly hint at a huge lack of ambition once again.

Such is the soap opera of Newcastle United Football Club.

I was out all day yesterday so couldn't properly follow what happened in full. Would it be correct to say that a 30m bid came in, was rejected, then a 35m bid came in, Carroll said I want a new contract (with presumably higher wages), Cashley and Lambias said no, so Carroll puts in a transfer request to make it easier for the transfer to be made?

I was out all day yesterday so couldn't properly follow what happened in full. Would it be correct to say that a 30m bid came in, was rejected, then a 35m bid came in, Carroll said I want a new contract (with presumably higher wages), Cashley and Lambias said no, so Carroll puts in a transfer request to make it easier for the transfer to be made?

yep

No idea why, but i'd sooner trust Pardew than Carroll

But how much does Pardew actually know. This board have a knack for doing things behind peoples backs.

well he reckons it was he that told carroll to put it in writing.

Guest neesy111

:thup:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi
Dalglish: "Andy Carroll has a bit of a knock and is probably a few wks away from playing, but the signing wasn't made to cover a few wks"

http://www.bootcampking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/NoShitSherlock.jpg

What actually happened:

Liverpool: "£30m for Andy Carroll?  We'd like this to be dealt with ASAP as we need cover so we can sell Torres for a ridiculous amount of money."

Newcastle: "Hm... that's not a terrible bid, but I'm afraid we'll have to reject it.  Sorry."

Liverpool: "Okay, okay, £35m plus add ons."

Newcastle: "Very tempting.  Tell you what, give us an hour or so."

Andy Carroll is called into the room.

Newcastle: "So, Liverpool are offering a huge amount of money for you and we'd like to accept it.  How do you feel about this?"

Andy: "Really?  They'll offer me more money!  I'd love to stay at NUFC and wear the number 9 for many years but only if you can match Liverpool's wages."

Newcastle: "lol no"

Andy: "Please?"

Newcastle: "You've only just signed a contract, we can't renegotiate now.  We said we'd look at it in the summer and that stands."

Andy: "I'd like to speak to my agent."

Andy leaves to talk to his agent.

Agent: "Liverpool are in for you?  My god!  I'll be rich!"

Andy: "So I should take it?"

Agent: "We'll hand in a transfer request right now!"

Andy receives another text from Steve Wraith.  He tells him what the fans want to hear - bad press for the 'cockney mafia' - largely to save face so he doesn't go down in history as the most traitorous number 9 we have ever had.

They enter the board room again.

Andy: "After speaking with my agent, I've decided I can't possibly live off £40,000 a week and have therefore decided to hand in a transfer request."

Newcastle: "Suits us, righto."

Cue Mike, Derek and Alan popping Dom Perignon and Cristal and smoking Cuban's.

Summary: Everybody is in the wrong and while we got a good amount of money for it, we should never have let him go.  Likewise should Andy have simply refused terms with Liverpool; he remains to be the most traitorous number 9 we've ever had and the board strongly hint at a huge lack of ambition once again.

Such is the soap opera of Newcastle United Football Club.

just about spot on.

As far as I understand, they were discussing a new contract before the bids came in. What happened after the 35m bid came in is then up to discussion, Carroll says they withdrew from contract talks and that Derek asked him to hand in a transfer request. Pards and Derek says Andy is an illoyal liar!

Guest neesy111

As far as I understand, they were discussing a new contract before the bids came in. What happened after the 35m bid came in is then up to discussion, Carroll says they withdrew from contract talks and that Derek asked him to hand in a transfer request. Pards and Derek says Andy is an illoyal liar!

They didn't withdraw, they said they would wait until the summer.  Which is spot on with they did.

Guest MrSundlofer

It's clear Ashley wanted: the money from the transfer > Andy Carroll.

He just could have offered Andy Carroll an improved contract and he still would have been here.

It's clear Ashley wanted: the money from the transfer > Andy Carroll.

He just could have offered Andy Carroll an improved contract and he still would have been here.

What sort of example does that set? Give in to player demands or watch them walk out.

They didn't withdraw, they said they would wait until the summer.  Which is spot on with they did.

If they already were discussing a new contract, then saying to wait 'till summer is a signal of intent imo. But the real question is really if Derek asked him to hand in the transfer request as Carroll states (if you can trust the quotes).

I still continue to hold Derek and Carroll's agent responsible.

Dalglish: "Andy Carroll has a bit of a knock and is probably a few wks away from playing, but the signing wasn't made to cover a few wks"

http://www.bootcampking.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/NoShitSherlock.jpg

I suppose it does at least put paid to the conspiracy theory, hinted at by True Faith and others, about Carroll not really being injured and simply being kept fresh for a high value sale on 31st January.