West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Depressing as fuck that some are already seeking to justify selling our best players. I support a football club not a fucking bank balance. We should be in a better place than most to know that big fees mean nothing. Disgusting tbh.

So I'm getting a lot of shit for trying to justify selling Carroll :lol:

I suppose it's not undeserved because he's a local player and he's done well, but I'm just assuming that we don't have much money to spend otherwise. Maybe that's just too cynical, but I don't think it's realistic to expect Ashley to spend the money necessary to help us really challenge. Sometimes 4 good players can be better than one great player, especially for a team that can readily improve at quite a few positions. We're not Barca who are set at every position, man. And yeah, it's a risk to actually sell and try to replace because there's so much uncertainty with new players, but maybe it's a gamble worth taking if we're looking to challenge.

I'm not concerned about the bank balance in and of itself, but I'm concerned with the future of the team and how we can improve it. The bank balance is obviously relevant to this issue.

Depressing as fuck that some are already seeking to justify selling our best players. I support a football club not a fucking bank balance. We should be in a better place than most to know that big fees mean nothing. Disgusting tbh.

100% spot on.

be sick as fuck if he is sold

Guest neesy111

Someone saying he's posted a farewell message on his Facebook account, yeah the one that is fake.

Idiots some people are.

Guest toonlass

:clap: Well said that man!

A year ago would be mad to think we'd be knocking back £30m for a player from our academy now. But as long as he wants to stay, it's so overwhelmingly the right move. No brainer.

Guest Wearside

£30m is an incredible offer for someone with relatively little top flight games behind him but Newcastle would be stupid to sell him today,gives you practically zero chance to get a replacement in and would drastically increase your chances of flirting with the teams at the bottom although whatever happens you won't go down.

We were in a very similar position in the January window about 2/3 year ago when Tottenham offered £18m for Kenwyne Jones and we turned it down and handed him a new contract,if we accepted we would have almost certainly been relegated that season and for that reason is why I don't believe Newcastle will sell in this window,it's just too much of a risk.

Of course it would be fucking unambitious. We're supposedly trying to join the big clubs not fucking feed them. They want Carroll and are willing to pay shitloads for him. Think about it.

What about Man Utd selling Ronaldo?

We're not on the same level as those clubs financially. You can take a step backwards but take two steps forward by spending the money well. It's impossible to jump from newly promoted club to challenging for Europe unless you spend money, which we don't seem so willing to do. Sometimes a player can be replaced if a team offers 'too much' money for him.

I don't think Carroll is irreplaceable. Yes, in terms of the way he plays then I don't think we could get a replacement, per se, but we don't have the play the way we do. It's quite possible to change the way we play by buying new players who'd fit in better in the new system.

Man Utd sold a player that said he wanted to leave.  Also they had a replacement ready in Nani to take his place.

Stupid comparison.

Nani's not in the same league as Ronaldo, mate. I take your point about the player wanting to leave.

They changed their formation after Ronaldo left. They changed their style after their best player left, and they've gradually reinvested the money from that sale (they obv still have a lot left to spend) to buy new and younger players who'll all help them consistently challenge.

That's the scenario that could happen if we sell Carroll. Of course we could fuck it up by spending it on dross, but we could equally spend the money on 4 Ben Arfas and be rolling into the CL in two years.

And where are Man Utd, top of the league currently and unbeaten.  Totally different situations and no comparison with this at all.

The fact that Man Utd are top of the league and unbeaten was part of my point, mate. :lol:

They sold their best player when they had no need to (how could you improve on winning everything?) and they're still the best team in the country. We could actually improve by spending the money well, but I completely understand everyone's lack of enthusiasm in considering his sale. I honestly do. I just think there's a chance to improve by spending the money well because I don't see this kind of money coming from another source.

Of course it would be f***ing unambitious. We're supposedly trying to join the big clubs not f***ing feed them. They want Carroll and are willing to pay shitloads for him. Think about it.

We're not on the same level as those clubs financially. You can take a step backwards but take two steps forward by spending the money well. It's impossible to jump from newly promoted club to challenging for Europe unless you spend money, which we don't seem so willing to do. Sometimes a player can be replaced if a team offers 'too much' money for him.

I don't think Carroll is irreplaceable. Yes, in terms of the way he plays then I don't think we could get a replacement, per se, but we don't have the play the way we do. It's quite possible to change the way we play by buying new players who'd fit in better in the new system.

Man Utd sold a player that said he wanted to leave.  Also they had a replacement ready in Nani to take his place.

Stupid comparison.

Nani's not in the same league as Ronaldo, mate. I take your point about the player wanting to leave.

They changed their formation after Ronaldo left. They changed their style after their best player left, and they've gradually reinvested the money from that sale (they obv still have a lot left to spend) to buy new and younger players who'll all help them consistently challenge.

That's the scenario that could happen if we sell Carroll. Of course we could f*** it up by spending it on dross, but we could equally spend the money on 4 Ben Arfas and be rolling into the CL in two years.

And where are Man Utd, top of the league currently and unbeaten.  Totally different situations and no comparison with this at all.

The fact that Man Utd are top of the league and unbeaten was part of my point, mate. :lol:

They sold their best player when they had no need to (how could you improve on winning everything?) and they're still the best team in the country. We could actually improve by spending the money well, but I completely understand everyone's lack of enthusiasm in considering his sale. I honestly do. I just think there's a chance to improve by spending the money well because I don't see this kind of money coming from another source.

If we spend the money well then yeah your right, but there's no time in this window to spend anything. Keep him until the summer then sell when we've got time if that's the case :)

Great local players who want to be where they are are the ones that you should build your team around. Scholes, Giggs, Terry, Gerrard, Carragher - these are the most important players for those clubs over the last 5, 10, 20 years. Far more than any three year deal foreigner.

Point taken, although Terry's only won things because Abramovich has spent a fuckload of money. We're not likely to win things with Carroll because we don't have money to spend.

I'm just looking at Arsenal and what they achieved with foreigners, which is why I said 'being local is irrelevant'. I'm also looking at Man Utd now and see the lack of locals in their team, and then you look at Chelsea and Spurs and realise that they don't really have any locals in their teams either. It's a matter of pride to have locals in the team, of course, but I'd rather we improved (which we really have a lot of room to do) and won things, man.

Of course it would be f***ing unambitious. We're supposedly trying to join the big clubs not f***ing feed them. They want Carroll and are willing to pay shitloads for him. Think about it.

Stupid comparison.

That's the scenario that could happen if we sell Carroll. Of course we could f*** it up by spending it on dross, but we could equally spend the money on 4 Ben Arfas and be rolling into the CL in two years.

If we spend the money well then yeah your right, but there's no time in this window to spend anything. Keep him until the summer then sell when we've got time if that's the case :)

Yeah, I've made that point as well. It's insane to sell now, but it wouldn't hurt to seriously consider it in the summer.

Guest neesy111

Great local players who want to be where they are are the ones that you should build your team around. Scholes, Giggs, Terry, Gerrard, Carragher - these are the most important players for those clubs over the last 5, 10, 20 years. Far more than any three year deal foreigner.

Point taken, although Terry's only won things because Abramovich has spent a fuckload of money. We're not likely to win things with Carroll because we don't have money to spend.

I'm just looking at Arsenal and what they achieved with foreigners, which is why I said 'being local is irrelevant'. I'm also looking at Man Utd now and see the lack of locals in their team, and then you look at Chelsea and Spurs and realise that they don't really have any locals in their teams either. It's a matter of pride to have locals in the team, of course, but I'd rather we improved (which we really have a lot of room to do) won things, man.

Who's to say we won't have money in a years time once we are settled back in the premiership.

Man Utd sold a player that said he wanted to leave.  Also they had a replacement ready in Nani to take his place.

Stupid comparison.

And where are Man Utd, top of the league currently and unbeaten.  Totally different situations and no comparison with this at all.

Yeah, I've made that point as well. It's insane to sell now, but it wouldn't hurt to seriously consider it in the summer.

Gods sake. Let's keep our best players for once. As Dave said: Why not be ambitious for a first.

I'm just looking at Arsenal and what they achieved with foreigners, which is why I said 'being local is irrelevant'. I'm also looking at Man Utd now and see the lack of locals in their team, and then you look at Chelsea and Spurs and realise that they don't really have any locals in their teams either. It's a matter of pride to have locals in the team, of course, but I'd rather we improved (which we really have a lot of room to do) won things, man.

Who's to say we won't have money in a years time once we are settled back in the premiership.

General wage inflation, having a bigger squad, Ashley looking to recoup some losses. I see more reason and evidence that we'll still have fuck all to spend, rather than reason and evidence that we'll have £20m+ net to spend.