West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I felt just as gutted when he left  as I did when Beardsley left for Liverpool, and would take him back in a flash.

Doubt it will happen though, even if Liverpool want to get rid they will need to recoup as much as they can, and unfortunately I see the likes of Stoke or Villa offering £15 - £20m, which Newcastle would never match.

Guest Rainforest

,  going back to Newcastle, in it's present form, would show a lack of ambition imo and that's no good to Liverpool.

Dont know if i agree with that tbh. The ambition is already displayed by buying him for such an outrageous sum. I concur that shipping him back would be somewhat of a defeat, but not lack of ambition. If ur not good enough ur not good enough.

I think the purchase was a statement as much as a genuine interest in Carroll, more of a return to former glory in terms of what they were aiming at. League title.

I would still say it would be a sign of lack of ambition from Carroll.

I agree about the purchase being a statement, but not in the form you see it.  FSG were desperate to obliterate the Hicks and Gillett years,  and knew if they sold Torress and only brought in Suarez that would look like they were selling star players for a profit to themselves.  They had to spend the 50 million in that window, and because it was so late, were left with few choices.  Carroll had been on the radar anyway (fits the FSG criteria), much as he was with other clubs also, but I think they would have waited till summer to try and get him at a lower fee if they hadn't had their hand forced by Torres.

English is not my first language, so maybe I came across somewhat different than what I intended to. What you are saying - probably more eloquently than me - is pretty much what I think happened as well.

It was more of a statement than anything, given theamount of goals he had scored by then and the fact that he was young english and hyped up,, he was on their radar. But as a player type I cannot see him fitting into a liverpool system. Not then, not now.

Players only hand in transfer requests to force a move, they don't get forced into handing in transfer requests if they want to stay. People talk about Carroll as if he was some lonely, fragile orphan. He has shown numerous times he doesn't give a fuck about what others think and do so how would the board force him to give up a substantial loyalty bonus if he didn't want out anyway? :lol:

It's pathetic how if you think a player is greedy and wanted out you are falling for the boards lies. The board obviously spunked their pants at the offer but that doesn't mean Carroll didn't want to jump ship either. Neither are absolved of blame and I have never said that, however people are so obsessed with their hatred towards the board players get away with murder and if you comment on it you're an idiot for falling for the lies :lol:

Ashley is willing to accept 35m = Carroll is willing to accept 80k.  You have to understand this.

I would have him back for a sum lower than 10m.  He doesn't worth any higher at this moment.

Guest Rainforest

Ashley is willing to accept 35m = Carroll is willing to accept 80k.  You have to understand this.

I would have him back for a sum lower than 10m.  He doesn't worth any higher at this moment.

Redicilous statement

Players only hand in transfer requests to force a move, they don't get forced into handing in transfer requests if they want to stay. People talk about Carroll as if he was some lonely, fragile orphan. He has shown numerous times he doesn't give a f*** about what others think and do so how would the board force him to give up a substantial loyalty bonus if he didn't want out anyway? :lol:

It's pathetic how if you think a player is greedy and wanted out you are falling for the boards lies. The board obviously spunked their pants at the offer but that doesn't mean Carroll didn't want to jump ship either. Neither are absolved of blame and I have never said that, however people are so obsessed with their hatred towards the board players get away with murder and if you comment on it you're an idiot for falling for the lies :lol:

I'll point you again to this post : http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,58769.msg3202678.html#msg3202678

Sup Mike

Redicilous statement

I always have serious doubt towards his injury record.  Just think if an injury cause permanent damage to his left foot or reduce his leap, what's left?

Carroll is WAY too one-dimensional.

Beginning to think a good percentage of the forum accounts on here are on Ashley's payroll in one shape or another.

Oh no!  Someone had a different opinion to you on an internet forum.  They must be getting paid. 

If anyone on Ashley's payroll would like to contact me about disagreeing with HawK, or any other user, I'd be willing to listen to offers.

The Carroll deal seemed to work well for everyone involved.  We got a shit load of cash, Carroll got a massive wage rise, Liverpool got a young, English striker and his agent made a fortune.  As it has turned out, the money we received hasn't obviously been reinvested in the squad and we've not replaced him in the team and Carroll hasn't settled yet at Liverpool and hadn't come close to finding the same form for Liverpool that got him the transfer in the first place.

The hearing declared that the club had admitted to 'repeatedly and intentionally misleading the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United', while the evidence given by owner Mike Ashley and his fellow executives over the course of the two-week hearing was described at one point in the verdict as 'profoundly unsatisfactory'.

How some people forget history so quickly. And people are still willing to doubt the word of a born and bred Geordie over Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias. I bet you like the Blue+Red UNPAID logo all over SJP too. Just get lost seriously.

Beginning to think a good percentage of the forum accounts on here are on Ashley's payroll in one shape or another.

Oh no!  Someone had a different opinion to you on an internet forum.  They must be getting paid. 

If anyone on Ashley's payroll would like to contact me about disagreeing with HawK, or any other user, I'd be willing to listen to offers.

The Carroll deal seemed to work well for everyone involved.  We got a s*** load of cash, Carroll got a massive wage rise, Liverpool got a young, English striker and his agent made a fortune.  As it has turned out, the money we received hasn't obviously been reinvested in the squad and we've not replaced him in the team and Carroll hasn't settled yet at Liverpool and hadn't come close to finding the same form for Liverpool that got him the transfer in the first place.

I couldn't care less if it was 500m, he was a brilliant player for us, he wanted to stay. If a player wants to stay then no club should force them out, unless not doing so could cause serious financial difficulties. Our owner is a BILLIONAIRE, there is no excuse.

The Carroll deal seemed to work well for everyone involved.  We got a s*** load of cash, Carroll got a massive wage rise, Liverpool got a young, English striker and his agent made a fortune.  As it has turned out, the money we received hasn't obviously been reinvested in the squad and we've not replaced him in the team and Carroll hasn't settled yet at Liverpool and hadn't come close to finding the same form for Liverpool that got him the transfer in the first place.

The thing isn't about Carroll. It's just a total mess that we had 8 months to find a striker and we didn't. And here are people who think it's acceptable.

The thing isn't about Carroll. It's just a total mess that we had 8 months to find a striker and we didn't. And here are people who think it's acceptable.

We had longer than 8 months, we needed a striker before Carroll left.

I see selling Carroll and purchasing a replacement as two separate issues.  Selling Carroll for £35m was good business for everyone involved.  Failure to purchase a replacement is unacceptable.

I couldn't care less if it was 500m, he was a brilliant player for us, he wanted to stay. If a player wants to stay then no club should force them out, unless not doing so could cause serious financial difficulties. Our owner is a BILLIONAIRE, there is no excuse.

Did he want to stay?  Maybe he wasn't looking to leave at first but I'll bet the thought of moving to Liverpool really turned his head.  We'll probably never know the real story.

We had longer than 8 months, we needed a striker before Carroll left.

I know we did, but after Carroll it was a must.

Someone said it on here not long after he moved, that Carroll and Liverpool were 'an uneasy fit' and he'd be back here one day. I completely agree, it's one of those transfers that completely knacks the momentum of a player. Similar to Benjani who banged in about 10 for Pompey by January and then made a pointless move to Man City where he got about 4 goals in 3 years. He was settled here, and should have dug his heels in and stayed.

That's true, but it's a tough call. Without the sale of Carroll it's not sure that we could have afforded Cabaye, Maveraux or BA. In reality we got three potentially very good players for the price of one potentially very good player.  Besides, we need a different kind of attacker than Carroll:fast, poacher and who's capable of beating the offside trap.

This post just cracks me up. Four sentences full of c***.

I see selling Carroll and purchasing a replacement as two separate issues.  Selling Carroll for £35m was good business for everyone involved.  Failure to purchase a replacement is unacceptable.

How is it good business to sell said player when he wanted to stay and there was no intention of replacing him, let alone no need to sell him. Must be another fan of Ashley's pocket, lets all support the moneys going in there from Newcastle United. Andy Carroll #9 up front for Newcastle or 35m in Ashley's pocket. Some people are still living in la-la land that this is Football Manager where funds from player sales go towards purchases, newsflash, the company is owned 100% by a selfish billionaire from London who does not give 2 shits about who's on the pitch as long as we don't get relegated.

If anyone thinks we're going to sign any striker of worth, over 10m, they need to wake up. Go take a walk around Sportsdirect stadium while next season our strip is changed to blue+red. And yes he can do it.

Did he want to stay?  Maybe he wasn't looking to leave at first but I'll bet the thought of moving to Liverpool really turned his head.  We'll probably never know the real story.

I'll point you again to this post : http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,58769.msg3202678.html#msg3202678

He said he wanted to stay, what more do you want?

Guest Rainforest

The Carroll-sale was possibly the worst sort of deal for everyone on here, only Ashleys pocket benefitted. The money was good but we are never gonna see them. Hence its pointless using the amount of quid as an arguement. We lost our best striker and brought no replacement in, not now - not ever.

Horrible deal, horrible for fans, horrible for NUFC. Good deal for FMA.

He said he wanted to stay, what more do you want?

Handing in a transfer request letting go of a massive sum tells me different. However not replacing him hurts more then selling him.

Well before Liverpool came in for him, many of us here said that there would be no point in selling Carroll because we would be unlikely to use his cash and unlikely to find a better replacement. In Carroll, he is probably the closest we could have had in terms of the Shearer effect. (i.e, still pose a threat and provide a decent amount of goals even in a shit side.)

Guest Rainforest

Yep. He was basically a NUFC talisman, a trinket that could have fired us into europe last year. 6-7th finish combined with these summers signings and not selling Enrique =  :clap2:

Fuck me how little would actually be required to have a properly good team. sigh..