January net spend sweepstake

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Uh, no one is arguing against that particular facet, just that the association isn't both ways ... good players almost always equate to high wages, but high wages don't always equate to being a good player. 

I don't think there's been a poster on this board in the last 3 years who doesn't feel that there's only two or three on the squad earning their pay.  as NJS says the issue isn't the wages it's them as a failure.  Getting them off the payroll frees that much more up to attempt to sign quality.  Although if I'm honest, yes, I'd rather replace one 80k/w earner with 2 40k/w earners at this point in time with a view to a villa style step up. 

Uh, no one is arguing against that particular facet, just that the association isn't both ways ... good players almost always equate to high wages, but high wages don't always equate to being a good player. 

I don't think there's been a poster on this board in the last 3 years who doesn't feel that there's only two or three on the squad earning their pay.  as NJS says the issue isn't the wages it's them as a failure.  Getting them off the payroll frees that much more up to attempt to sign quality.  Although if I'm honest, yes, I'd rather replace one 80k/w earner with 2 40k/w earners at this point in time with a view to a villa style step up. 

yeah, but then what he seems to be saying (& i agree) is that we'll only get to a certain point with the 2 x 40k players, trying to go beyond that will take signing the right 80k player if you see what i mean...started with the destruction of bobby's team by souness imo, we were basically a current villa of that time then & the club backed souness to make take us on as laughable as that now sounds by signing 'quality'

imagine if we'd invested the souness 50m in 10 x 5m up and comers, as unrealistic as that would be!  life would be a damn sight sweeter than it is now imo

basically we're going through a purging process to attempt the exact same thing again an undetermined time in the future! 

we hope :lol:

Guest Darth Toon

It's a massive triumph for hope over experience that only 7% of posters thought we would actually make a profit. And I bet even they didn't expect it to be such a big one.

You can only sign the players who (1) agree to come to you, and (2) the clubs will let them go. If bids had been accepted for Veloso and Johnson then net spend would have been more - unfortunately we're not an attractive proposition at present.

Of course there's another way of looking at this - if Ashley has made his mind up that Kinnear goes at the end of the season, then who would you rather have spending any available cash - Kinnear or Bruce/Shear/someone else? Nolan and Taylor are both players that we may be able to hang on to if we go down, and I can't imagine they're on huge wages. I suspect you could say the same for Johnson. Veloso's a different case perhaps, although I'm sure if we went down we would recoup a lot of what we spent.

You can only sign the players who (1) agree to come to you, and (2) the clubs will let them go. If bids had been accepted for Veloso and Johnson then net spend would have been more - unfortunately we're not an attractive proposition at present.

Of course there's another way of looking at this - if Ashley has made his mind up that Kinnear goes at the end of the season, then who would you rather have spending any available cash - Kinnear or Bruce/Shear/someone else? Nolan and Taylor are both players that we may be able to hang on to if we go down, and I can't imagine they're on huge wages. I suspect you could say the same for Johnson. Veloso's a different case perhaps, although I'm sure if we went down we would recoup a lot of what we spent.

1. yeah but what were the bids for those players?  a used iphone or summik?

2. he appointed kinnear

3. he appointed the transfer team who should have been able to identify good quality targets regardless of how inept #2 is

4. we'll probably get relegated now so the money won't be spent by shearer or bruce anyways, 'cause there won't be any

From what I gather the enormous wage bill was the main crux of the problem. Getting shot of the players who don't contribute and/or earn upwards of £3.5m a year will be the start of it. Unfortunately it could take quite some time imo.  :undecided:

Better players get paid more though - the idea that we could drop all of the high earners and have a squad full of low/moderately paid ones is an unlikely dream imo. The main issue isn't the wages - its the "failure" of those players - if they had performed then nobody would be that concerned about their wages.

Say the "plan" works and in 3 years time we have a team on (I presume) Bassong/Guthrie type wages doing moderately okay under a proper manager - taking a Villa style next step would still require a few Viduka/Smith size wage bills.

I am fairly certain no-one at Villa will be on Viduka/Smith/Geremi/Duff type wages and thats where we have gone wrong because they are piss poor players (apart from Viduka he is just always injured). I would be even one of their better players (Ashley Young) is on less that half what those 4 get.