January net spend sweepstake

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So whats the total net £ on Players over the 4 windows?

Why are people obsessed with this? It's about the squad improving rather than the money spent. We've spent millions on utter shit over the years and we're paying for it now.

I agree btw. I'm not really arsed about net spend so to speak, more so on the quality of player coming. No matter how much or how little they cost.

arguably the most important transfer window in our premiership history and we get rid of the 3rd longest serving player in our club's existence, one of our few players with pace, and make a profit overall.  :colo: :kinnear: ???  :weep: :clap:

Exactly, how much of a mug would you have to be to think the squad has improved?

We let players go in the two positions we had the best cover (we still have Harper & Krul in goal, and Jonas & Duff on the left), while we've strengthed at right-back & central-midfield...the two main areas people wanted strengthed due to Beye's injury, as well as a back-up attacker. I can see why people would say we're stronger squadwise.

So whats the total net £ on Players over the 4 windows?

Why are people obsessed with this? It's about the squad improving rather than the money spent. We've spent millions on utter shit over the years and we're paying for it now.

I agree btw. I'm not really arsed about net spend so to speak, more so on the quality of player coming. No matter how much or how little they cost.

And that's the bigger issue. Neither Wise or Kinnear have the quality to purchase first teamers.

Id say its more a case of spending nothing over 4 windows that were gonna pay for it this season

We've spent nothing over the 4 windows because of all the shite that we bought over the last 12!

Oh I see, thats the reason

Id say its more a case of spending nothing over 4 windows that were gonna pay for it this season

We've spent nothing over the 4 windows because of all the shite that we bought over the last 12!

Oh I see, thats the reason

Erm, yeah.

Sorry mate but Bollocks

Ahh ok. Makes sense now.

Explain it for me anyway. Firstly, point out where all the money from European qualification and full stadiums went. Secondly, point me to the bank who would lend us the £50m it would take to turn this club around.

We are being asset stripped and fed bullshit and I really cant believe that some of you are still falling for it

Feel free to answer.

EDIT: Surely asset stripping is reducing the value of the club? Won't he just get a lot less for it when he sells?

I know you struggle answering questions, so apologies that I've asked 4 in a row. Try the first one, then we'll move on.

answer what? if youre talking about your "Explain it for me anyway" post I thought they were pointless irrelevant questions, so ignored them,

I also dont think it would have taken that much money to give us an edge, the milner money plus what was made out of Given and Nzog should have got us at least another couple of quality players in

We are being asset stripped and fed bullshit and I really cant believe that some of you are still falling for it

Feel free to answer.

EDIT: Surely asset stripping is reducing the value of the club? Won't he just get a lot less for it when he sells?

I know you struggle answering questions, so apologies that I've asked 4 in a row. Try the first one, then we'll move on.

Ah trying to be patronizing wont work mate, youre wasting your time

Feel free to answer.

You're trying to be a cunt, it works.

arguably the most important transfer window in our premiership history and we get rid of the 3rd longest serving player in our club's existence, one of our few players with pace, and make a profit overall.  :colo: :kinnear: ???  :weep: :clap:

Exactly, how much of a mug would you have to be to think the squad has improved?

Not really, it is stronger now, even though its a disgrace they didn't improve it a lot more.

Not sure I agree about it being stronger.  Think Harper is a weaker keeper, Nolan looks half the player he was 2 years ago and I haven't a clue how good Taylor is. Our left wingers are now Lovenkrands and Duff (yes Jonas can play there but that's not his best position), which I think is weak.

Given the fact we additionally lost Barton on a long term injury, I would have hoped we would have invested better.

answer what? if youre talking about your "Explain it for me anyway" post I thought they were pointless irrelevant questions, so ignored them,

I also dont think it would have taken that much money to give us an edge, the milner money plus what was made out of Given and Nzog should have got us at least another couple of quality players in

Have you looked at the finances thread? Not defending him as such but Ashley didn't buy us to be a rich mans toy. He bought us to be a business, we will want to make a profit one way or another and at the moment we are still trying paying for our previous reckless spending which despite what certain people will say simply wasnt going to last forever before we were in a hole so deep we wouldn't have managed to get out.

Have you looked at the finances thread? Not defending him as such but Ashley didn't buy us to be a rich mans toy. He bought us to be a business, we will want to make a profit one way or another and at the moment we are still trying paying for our previous reckless spending which despite what certain people will say simply wasnt going to last forever before we were in a hole so deep we wouldn't have managed to get out.

At what point will we be free of the previous mess?

Well I really thought that overall, we would have net spent £10m in Jan.  I really though we'd look to bolster the squad to ensure that it has the bodies and quality in depth to survive and to ensure the squad can compete in the Premier League until we get some of our injured stars back.  I don't know if it was just bad luck in trying to bid for certain players too late that stopped us from spending more money, but I doubt it was.

What I don't understand is that if we wanted Johnson from Man City, why did we bother waiting for the Shay Given money to then offer it straight back? surely we should have asked for an exchange? - oh well.

I'm pleased we got Taylor, Nolan and Lovenkrands.  These will help our situation out.  I still think it was important to get a left back and perhaps another striker or centre midfielder.

I will hope that we have enough to see out the season and survive.

At what point will we be free of the previous mess?

From what I gather the enormous wage bill was the main crux of the problem. Getting shot of the players who don't contribute and/or earn upwards of £3.5m a year will be the start of it. Unfortunately it could take quite some time imo.  :undecided:

That argument doesn't wash Jon, if he's so bothered about his money, he should have really pulled his finger out this time round because he's likely to lose much more in the summer. Fucking hell, this morning I wasn't expecting anything other than some quality purchased with the pittance we got for Shay and to cut a net zero but we didn't even manage that.

I can't understand his motivation, the only conclusion I can come to is that where football's concerned, the man is one of the stupidest people on the planet if he is money-driven but prepared to gamble that money on these players doing the business. My grandma could run a football club better than he has (mind she has seen more games than the big football fan).

Feel free to answer.

You're trying to be a cunt, it works.

Phew for a second there I thought I was wasting my time

From what I gather the enormous wage bill was the main crux of the problem. Getting shot of the players who don't contribute and/or earn upwards of £3.5m a year will be the start of it. Unfortunately it could take quite some time imo.  :undecided:

Better players get paid more though - the idea that we could drop all of the high earners and have a squad full of low/moderately paid ones is an unlikely dream imo. The main issue isn't the wages - its the "failure" of those players - if they had performed then nobody would be that concerned about their wages.

Say the "plan" works and in 3 years time we have a team on (I presume) Bassong/Guthrie type wages doing moderately okay under a proper manager - taking a Villa style next step would still require a few Viduka/Smith size wage bills.

Better players get paid more though - the idea that we could drop all of the high earners and have a squad full of low/moderately paid ones is an unlikely dream imo. The main issue isn't the wages - its the "failure" of those players - if they had performed then nobody would be that concerned about their wages.

Say the "plan" works and in 3 years time we have a team on (I presume) Bassong/Guthrie type wages doing moderately okay under a proper manager - taking a Villa style next step would still require a few Viduka/Smith size wage bills.

you've hit the nail on the head so fucking hard it should put paid to 90% of the old board/new board shit 'cause it's bang on the money - i can't see how any rational human being can argue against it

not taking the piss mind, its an excellent way of looking at things both past, present and future