Would you cash in on Given?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wouldn't even want to consider it happening myself.

However - and whilst I really couldn't be more against it - I'd not hold anything against him if he wanted to move on. He deserves better but I think he's a part of a fabric now at NUFC and he loves the club, the people, and the area.

Double-figures and i'd think about it.

That said, if it was announced tomorrow that he'd gone then i wouldn't bury my head into my pillow. Shay's a cracking bloke and a top class keeper who's been brilliant for us, and deserves so much more. He's been better than us for every season apart from 02/03 when we were in the Champions League. I love the guy really, every interview he gives you've got to warm to him, straight and as honest as owt. Wouldn't feel bitter watching him lift a trophy with Liverpool or Arsenal or even Celtic, for eg.

Guest Jawesome

Aye, thinking about it - If we got a fair price and he's not being forced out, then I'd be more than happy to see him leave.  If he wanted to stay and we let him go though, I'd be fucking livid.

Aye, thinking about it - If we got a fair price and he's not being forced out, then I'd be more than happy to see him leave.  If he wants to stay though, I'd be fucking livid.

Agree with that. My post is centred around the idea that he wants to go, btw.

Double-figures and i'd think about it.

That said, if it was announced tomorrow that he'd gone then i wouldn't bury my head into my pillow. Shay's a cracking bloke and a top class keeper who's been brilliant for us, and deserves so much more. He's been better than us for every season apart from 02/03 when we were in the Champions League. I love the guy really, every interview he gives you've got to warm to him, straight and as honest as owt. Wouldn't feel bitter watching him lift a trophy with Liverpool or Arsenal or even Celtic, for eg.

His wife might not agree.

I'll refrain from posting my slanderous accusations.

It would worry me if Shay decides that he wants to leave after all that he has put up with at NUFC over the years.  It sends out a bad sign if he has finally given up on the club.  Would not begrudge him a move though but would hope it would be to a club where he would win things (and not Spurs). 

Hope it would be a good fee.  How much did Sunderland pay for their keeper - £10m?

I don't see why we should be looking at a replacement though.  Harper will do a good job and we have two promising youngsters who could be the number 2.  If they do not get a chance, what's the point in having them here and what kind of message does it send to them.  If they want us to develop our young players, they need to give them a chance at some point and I think Krul could be the number 2 keeper.

If money is so tight, there are other areas of the team that desperately need improving first and buying another goalkeeper is not a necessity at this moment in time.

Not if we were planning to spunk the thick end of it away on Fatty Kenny. Jaysus H Christ..........

He's not world class.

You reckon?  I think Paddy Kenny is second only to Buffon.

He's a world class shot stopper. But his distribution and commanding of his box aren't. Which are both extremely important elements to be a world class goal keeper IMO.

Given is World Class in the very same way that Michael Owen is, well in my opinion anyway.

so neither world class at all then basically

Not sure there will be a better time in the future to make such a big profit on Shay Given then this January window coming up saying that however he would be the last player I would sell bar Micheal Owen.

He is one of very few this club should be building a side around, a great servant to the club and one of the best goal keepers the Premiership has seen certainly in terms of consistency.

Not if we were planning to spunk the thick end of it away on Fatty Kenny. Jaysus H Christ..........

He's not world class.

You reckon?  I think Paddy Kenny is second only to Buffon.

He's a world class shot stopper. But his distribution and commanding of his box aren't. Which are both extremely important elements to be a world class goal keeper IMO.

Given is World Class in the very same way that Michael Owen is, well in my opinion anyway.

so neither world class at all then basically

To be fair - the majority of football pundits and managers would say Owen is world class. Its not for me to argue that.

Guest Man in Black

who do you think would buy given, that would pay you what you think he is worth? Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Villa all have better keepers, a lot of other clubs have keepers of a similar standard to Given, and i doubt they would pay big money. FWIW, i think if you sold him in January, you would struggle to stay up.

who do you think would buy given, that would pay you what you think he is worth? Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Villa all have better keepers, a lot of other clubs have keepers of a similar standard to Given, and i doubt they would pay big money. FWIW, i think if you sold him in January, you would struggle to stay up.

Arsenal don't. Villa have one who is on a similar level so wouldn't be after another one.

Guest Man in Black

Arsenal don't. Villa have one who is on a similar level so wouldn't be after another one.

they really do. Friedel is better than Given too, and  Given is almost 33 as well, so its not like has long left either.

they really do. Friedel is better than Given too, and  Given is almost 33 as well, so its not like has long left either.

Almunia better than Given?  mackems.gif

they really do. Friedel is better than Given too, and  Given is almost 33 as well, so its not like has long left either.

Ya cos Friedels only turning 38 next year!Friedels better than Given?Then why are Arsenal after Given and Villa were the biggest team after Friedel?Irc Given will still be playing in his 40s,he seems to look after himself quite well

I wouldn't want to sell him – he's not just an excellent goalie, but also represents continuity at the club – but I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave. We'll be lucky to get £6 million, though.

Why on earth would you think that? :o

:lol:

As a neutral, Given is miles better than Almunia. It's not even close.

For 8 Million I would rip anybody's hand off, I have said it before and will say it again (and expect to be flamed) Given is a great shot-stopper but crap keeper, he doesn't talk to his defence, his positional play is abysmall and at one on one's he is terrible.

Guest toonlass

Given is more than a Goalkeeper to this team. He is passionate about the club, he is loyal. He does the captains role without the armband. He is one of the players that you can say sincerely cares about the club. To lose Given would be disasterous, not only as a keeper but as someone who motivates the other lads.

Given is more than a Goalkeeper to this team. He is passionate about the club, he is loyal. He does the captains role without the armband. He is one of the players that you can say sincerely cares about the club. To lose Given would be disasterous, not only as a keeper but as someone who motivates the other lads.

What a load of rubbish, when does he motivate the lads? He was plucked from Blackburn reserves and given a chance at NUFC that's why he is still here, the only reason he has not left is because it would be to a smaller club. Anybody who thinks Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, etc would be in for him need to a reality check