Would you cash in on Given?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cashing in on Shay could be the difference between staying up or sinking into the Championship.  For me, he is the most important player in the squad and personally I dont have the faith that our Manager and Board have the sense to use any funds raised sensibly.

Yeah, his outstanding performance made all the difference against Liverpool didn't it. Despite all the saves he made the s**** performance of our outfield players meant we still lost the game.

Shay makes some oustanding saves, no doubt, but 90% of the keepers in the premiership would make saves in most (not all) of the same situations. The difference between a good goalkeeper and a very good goalkeeper is very small. We've got just as much chance of going down with Shay in goal as if we didn't because our squad is piss weak.

Outstanding goalkeepers are often the fine line between a team finishing 1st or 2nd but IMO they are rarely the difference between a team staying up or going down - that's normally due to a collective group of players who aren't good enough.

Name me one goalkeeper who has kept his team from being relegated through a series of outstanding performances.............   

Jimmy Glass

:lol:

Cashing in on Shay could be the difference between staying up or sinking into the Championship.  For me, he is the most important player in the squad and personally I dont have the faith that our Manager and Board have the sense to use any funds raised sensibly.

Exactly how I feel.

Guest Howaythetoon

Certainly not, you never cash in on your best players and Shay is most definetely our best player in terms of everything, no matter how tempting. It sends out a negative message in my opinion. Having said that I wouldn't begrudge him a move should he desire one, although I think he'll stay unless an offer came in from Man Utd or some big foreign club.

A source close to Given has suggested that he loves it here and has no intention of leaving so that's good enough for me assuming it's true. It's important to have as many good players on board as possible and it's even more important that they are happy and comitted.

Merlin gave 2 players that were happy to stay in Speed and Rob Lee, I've given 3 examples of players that left because they wanted to move to what they thought were better clubs with more chance of success

Only 2 of 3 put transfers requests in iirc. Also I thought Didi & Jermaine wanted to f*** off because they hated living in Newcastle.

On another note, I think those 3 sales were all record transfer fees received.

Guest Howaythetoon

A source close to Given has suggested that he loves it here and has no intention of leaving so that's good enough for me assuming it's true. It's important to have as many good players on board as possible and it's even more important that they are happy and comitted.

The thing with Given is that it would be a huge wrench to leave his life here in Newcastle if not the football club, regardless of the interest. He and his whole family are settled here to the point where when he retires, he'll stay here or always have a base here to come back to that he'll call home. The only way I could ever see him leaving is if the club put him up for sale or a manager didn't want him, or if Man Utd or a big big foreign club come in for him and even then he'll no doubt think long and hard about that one with no guarantee he'd say yes all things considered. I've met the man and he's a top bloke, a really nice guy who actually loves his life at Newcastle and the club to the point where it means something more than a place to live or a job, it is his life. He'll be going nowhere unless the club decide to cash in on him, which is actually more likely to happen than Shay deciding enough is enough and he wants out. As a player and character he's the only one at the club I have respect for, actually admire and have an emotional affection for where I'd be deeply saddened were he to leave because he's a rare breed, a true football club man and a genuine Newcastle United legend up there with the best of them including Shearer, Beardsley KK et al, as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Merlin gave 2 players that were happy to stay in Speed and Rob Lee, I've given 3 examples of players that left because they wanted to move to what they thought were better clubs with more chance of success

Only 2 of 3 put transfers requests in iirc. Also I thought Didi & Jermaine wanted to f*** off because they hated living in Newcastle.

On another note, I think those 3 sales were all record transfer fees received.

To expand further. I heard that Hamman's and Gullit's working relationship - they had a bit of a bit of a bust-up - had broken down in the wake of Hamman being substituted in our losing FA Cup final effort against Arsenal.

And Hamman wasn't the first player to fall foul of the Dutchman, for varying reasons of course, and Lee & Shearer inevitably outlasted Gullit as results took a sharp downturn the following year. I wasn't surprised in the slightest when he was sold during the ensuinf Summer.