Would you cash in on Given?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest toonlass

I fail to see what is wrong with Harper and Krul?

Harper is older than Given, Krul is unproven anywhere but the SPL which is about league 1 level at best (apart from the Old Firm).

Harper is older than Given, Krul is unproven anywhere but the SPL which is about league 1 level at best (apart from the Old Firm).

On the occasion's we have fielded Krul he has looked class, need to give him a chance sometime or he will slip through our fingers.

As much as I have appreciated his return to form this year and realise that his best years are probably still ahead of him. I would still cash in. We need the cash to finance other parts of the team more desperately, in Harper we have a more than able deputy and with Krul and Forster and Soderberg, I'm pretty confident about the future.

I fee of plus 10mill or a player exchange plus cash for a priority position though is the minimum I would take.

I wouldn't want to sell him ? he's not just an excellent goalie, but also represents continuity at the club ? but I wouldn't be surprised if he did leave. We'll be lucky to get £6 million, though.

Why on earth would you think that? :o

Goalkeepers rarely attract huge fees and I just don't think he's going to fetch much more than that. And it's not a bad return for someone who cost us £1.5 million about ten years ago. Events will prove me right or wrong.

Guest toonlass

On the ONE occasion we have fielded Krul competatively he has looked class, need to send him out on loan to the Championship to see if he can really do it before chancing him in the Premier League.

FYP

On the ONE occasion we have fielded Krul competatively he has looked class, need to send him out on loan to the Championship to see if he can really do it before chancing him in the Premier League.

FYP

That's why we have Harper as backup :)

Guest toonlass

FYP

That's why we have Harper as backup :)

So you are willing to sell Shay, to field an unproven youngster, and if he happens to not be good enough we can fall back on Harper who is older than Shay, and who is kept out of the team at this moment in time by Shay. Wierd logic that is!

IF we get a good offer and IF we don't have much to spend without selling first then I'd cash in on Given.  Properly reinvesting the money we'd receive for Shay would improve the team more than enough to compensate for having to replace him with Harper (who was arguably better than Shay last year).

I'd be happy to take £8 million for Given and have Harper in goal if the £8 million was used to replace Butt.  Harper might be older but he's had a better injury record although Given does seem to have finally recovered this season.

Given is the better shot stopper but Harper is a much better communicator with the defence and he comes off his line better.  I've got nothing against Given who is playing like the Given of old, I just think that sort of money could improve us in other areas where we are weaker.

Why would you even contemplate taking a silly offer such as 12m? To replace him with who? You won't find a better keeper that:

A:Is as good as Shay Given 

B:Would be interested in coming to us

Furthermore, we could sell him for 50m and that would be no good either as Ashley wouldn't give us anymore than 5 million to actually replace him.

Tell Wenger that we will give them Given and £4 million for Diaby.

Or Bentner, or Toure...

diaby i rate, bendtner is f***ing awful

Wrong!

Bendtner is average for Arsenal because he doesn't quite have the finesse of the rest of their players. Put him in most other teams and he'd be a standout player. Just because he doesn't fit with the way Arsenal play doesn't make him crap.

As a striker he's a million times better than Ameobi, a million times more mobile than Viduka, scores more goals than both of them, is younger than both of them, has a better injury record than both of them, and wouldn't cost the earth. If he could be coached into being more physical i reckon he'd be brilliant. He scored 13 goals and had 9 assists for Birmingham a couple of seasons back and has a pretty impressive scoring record for Denmark as well.

With us having Harper as an outstanding back up, and some good younger keepers on the books, personally i would sell Given for 12mil+.

The need for outfield players is greater than our need for a top goalkeeper imho

Where does this myth come from that Harper is an "outstanding back up" come from?

Guest sicko2ndbest

With us having Harper as an outstanding back up, and some good younger keepers on the books, personally i would sell Given for 12mil+.

The need for outfield players is greater than our need for a top goalkeeper imho

Where does this myth come from that Harper is an "outstanding back up" come from?

Outstanding as far as back ups go. In terms of rating him as a premiership class keeper, i would say he is good-very good. Definately in the top 10

Guest sicko2ndbest

Tell Wenger that we will give them Given and £4 million for Diaby.

Or Bentner, or Toure...

diaby i rate, bendtner is f***ing awful

Would definately take Diaby, think he would be exactly what we need

who do you think would buy given, that would pay you what you think he is worth? Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Villa all have better keepers, a lot of other clubs have keepers of a similar standard to Given, and i doubt they would pay big money. FWIW, i think if you sold him in January, you would struggle to stay up.

Arsenal don't. Villa have one who is on a similar level so wouldn't be after another one.

they really do. Friedel is better than Given too, and  Given is almost 33 as well, so its not like has long left either.

Yep Friedel done excellent there dropping the ball because a 3ft midget put him off

Dunno if this has been said earlier in the thread, but I think that, after his excellent service, he deserves a move to a club where he has a chance to win the medals he so deserves.

He aint gonna win anything with us, and he would be extremely difficult to replace, but as a pro, he has been outstanding, and I for one, would understand totally if he were to leave for a club that matches his quality (i.e. Arsenal, NOT, Spurs).

I have never seen one of our players get a standing ovation from the away fans as he came on the pitch for the 2nd half as Shay got against Liverpool on Sunday. I am sure they wish he played for them, instead of Reina, who is prone to the odd howler.

I don't want him to go, but would be pleased for him if he went to one of the 'Big 4' (anyone else would be unnacceptable!)

Guest firetotheworks

Id understand if he left, but it wouldnt come anywhere near to the disappointment of him leaving. The clubs more important than any player, Given and any other loyal servant included.

we shouldn't be cashing in on any players to finance spending, when we have spent next to nowt anyway.

Such actions will be a total disgrace if they come about.

Sell Given ? Give over man.

If anything, he needs to make a big statement in this window, not just to stave off relegation, but to persuade Owen and Given to sign new contracts for starters.

we shouldn't be cashing in on any players to finance spending, when we have spent next to nowt anyway.

If anything, he needs to make a big statement in this window, not just to stave off relegation, but to persuade Owen and Given to sign new contracts for starters.

:thup:

Guest toonlass

OMG I agree with NE5. I think I need a glass of red wine!

Both Owen and Given are already very well paid at Newcastle and very highly regarded as senior pros. Owen has been offered a new contract which he has declined to accept. Shay is committed to Newcastle (on paper) for another couple of years.

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to fuck off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Don't want to stay guys? FUCK...RIGHT...OFF.