Would you cash in on Given?

Guest sicko2ndbest
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

we shouldn't be cashing in on any players to finance spending, when we have spent next to nowt anyway.

Such actions will be a total disgrace if they come about.

Sell Given ? Give over man.

If anything, he needs to make a big statement in this window, not just to stave off relegation, but to persuade Owen and Given to sign new contracts for starters.

Both Owen and Given are already very well paid at Newcastle and very highly regarded as senior pros. Owen has been offered a new contract which he has declined to accept. Shay is committed to Newcastle (on paper) for another couple of years.

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to f*** off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Don't want to stay guys? f***...RIGHT...OFF.

you totally miss the point, which I continue to find pretty amazing and not just with you.....the point is that we ought to have a club where people don't want to leave for career reasons.

This is like stepping back in time. Was it really all those years ago ........

if we'd won some trophies under the fat man and the addams family he wouldnt want to leave. this is the tip of the iceberg for him and a knock on effect from the souness appointment imho.

2 FA Cup Finals and playing in the Champs League and europe isn't to be sniffed at though. Of course I agree the appointment of Souness was a terrible appointment and I said this at the time despite many others saying he would turn into the new Alex Ferguson just for weeding out the "cancers" because Alex Ferguson had done the same.

Its only lately that Given has appeared to become disollusioned though. Or is he ? Owen is a different kettle of fish. He will basically move for football reasons if a club with some ambition makes a move for him.

givens put up with his fair share of s*** in his 11 years at the club and i don't think the last year, never mind the last game can be considered in isolation from the other decade if he DOES want to leave

maybe he's just heard arsenal or whoever are interested & fancies a change/chance to win something

I wouldn't blame him for that, but players like Rob Lee, Gary Speed - to name 2 who weren't Geordies [which would have been even worse] - never felt like that even up to the day they left.

The difference is that Lee and Speed were still playing for a club which still had some respect and standing in the game ; Given is playing for one which looks to be heading nowhere.....

we shouldn't be cashing in on any players to finance spending, when we have spent next to nowt anyway.

If anything, he needs to make a big statement in this window, not just to stave off relegation, but to persuade Owen and Given to sign new contracts for starters.

Both Owen and Given are already very well paid at Newcastle and very highly regarded as senior pros. Owen has been offered a new contract which he has declined to accept. Shay is committed to Newcastle (on paper) for another couple of years.

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to f*** off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Don't want to stay guys? f***...RIGHT...OFF.

you totally miss the point, which I continue to find pretty amazing and not just with you.....the point is that we ought to have a club where people don't want to leave for career reasons.

if we'd won some trophies under the fat man and the addams family he wouldnt want to leave. this is the tip of the iceberg for him and a knock on effect from the souness appointment imho.

2 FA Cup Finals and playing in the Champs League and europe isn't to be sniffed at though. Of course I agree the appointment of Souness was a terrible appointment and I said this at the time despite many others saying he would turn into the new Alex Ferguson just for weeding out the "cancers" because Alex Ferguson had done the same.

Its only lately that Given has appeared to become disollusioned though. Or is he ? Owen is a different kettle of fish. He will basically move for football reasons if a club with some ambition makes a move for him.

givens put up with his fair share of s*** in his 11 years at the club and i don't think the last year, never mind the last game can be considered in isolation from the other decade if he DOES want to leave

maybe he's just heard arsenal or whoever are interested & fancies a change/chance to win something

I wouldn't blame him for that, but players like Rob Lee, Gary Speed - to name 2 who weren't Geordies [which would have been even worse] - never felt like that even up to the day they left.

The difference is that Lee and Speed were still playing for a club which still had some respect and standing in the game ; Given is playing for one which looks to be heading nowhere.....

exactly

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to fuck off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

Don't want to stay guys? FUCK...RIGHT...OFF.

When Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate left? No, it wasn't that long ago.

With us having Harper as an outstanding back up, and some good younger keepers on the books, personally i would sell Given for 12mil+.

The need for outfield players is greater than our need for a top goalkeeper imho

I disagree strongly with that. If we had only a decent keeper over the past seasons where we finished bottom half there is a a very good chance we would of been relegated. The need for a top goalkeeper is a must in the premiership and we would never be able to replace Shay unless we got  extremely lucky and found another Shay type keeper who rises to prominence from nowhere. On his day he is the best keeper in the premiership, who else can you say that about in their respective positions in our squad, Beye possibly?

If either of them feel like jumping ship they should be encouraged to fuck off ASAP as far as I'm concerned.

you were about 11 when the Halls and Shepherd came to the club, right ?

bluelaugh.gif

Merlin has also put the point very well. You should listen for a change.

bluelaugh.gif

That's slightly off topic but about that yes.

If what I've said is wrong then perhaps you could tell me why Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate wanted to leave?

I think it's fair to say that Jenas is the last player to leave this club because he thought he was going to a more successful club, unless there's anyone else you can think of since?

bluelaugh.gif

If what I've said is wrong then perhaps you could tell me why Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate wanted to leave?

I think it's fair to say that Jenas is the last player to leave this club because he thought he was going to a more successful club, unless there's anyone else you can think of since?

I said I wouldn't be arsed with you after your stupid outburst on toontastic, but on this occasion I will remind you that the manager wanted to sell Jenas, and the manager wanted to sell Hamman ie he fell out with him. I don't think signing for the likes of Real Madrid comes into it. None of these players come near the likes of Speed, Lee or Given in terms of being part of the fabric of the club and adopted as such by supporters of not just NUFC but other clubs. But you can pretend otherwise if it suits your daft argument.

Like I said, Merlin also explained the point very basically and well. You should listen for once.

Oh, and admit that your DOF bollocks is the reason why we are in all this trouble and disarray, on and off the pitch.

That is all.

bluelaugh.gif

I said I wouldn't be arsed with you after your stupid outburst on toontastic, but on this occasion I will remind you that the manager wanted to sell Jenas, and the manager wanted to sell Hamman ie he fell out with him. I don't think signing for the likes of Real Madrid comes into it. None of these players come near the likes of Speed, Lee or Given in terms of being part of the fabric of the club and adopted as such by supporters of not just NUFC but other clubs. But you can pretend otherwise if it suits your daft argument.

Like I said, Merlin also explained the point very basically and well. You should listen for once.

Oh, and admit that your DOF bollocks is the reason why all this trouble we are in, on and off the pitch.

That is all.

Souness didn't want to sell Jenas, you've just made that up! bluelaugh.gif

The answer that you were looking for is that apart from the biggest clubs in the World all clubs have had players that will move on to further their footballing career, not all players will as some will show loyalty to their club and others are happy with their life so stay in their comfort zome, but some do which is what Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate did.

Kinnear (quotes in The Sun):

"There is no problem there.

"He's very happy here, he's very comfortable at Newcastle United.

"He won't be leaving - he has no interest in that whatsoever.

"He loves the football club - he's part of the city and that suits us because he's a world-class goalkeeper.

"Shay's performance against Liverpool was brilliant and that got picked up on.

"But ask the Geordie fans and I think they already knew how good he is.

"They know their football, so to be one of their favourites says it all about how good he is.

"He's the best goalkeeper in the Premier League by a mile."

Guest toonlass

Kinnear (quotes in The Sun):

"There is no problem there.

"He's very happy here, he's very comfortable at Newcastle United.

"He won't be leaving - he has no interest in that whatsoever.

"He loves the football club - he's part of the city and that suits us because he's a world-class goalkeeper.

"Shay's performance against Liverpool was brilliant and that got picked up on.

"But ask the Geordie fans and I think they already knew how good he is.

"They know their football, so to be one of their favourites says it all about how good he is.

"He's the best goalkeeper in the Premier League by a mile."

Very similar to the quotes on the official Shay Given website (which I believe one of his brothers runs)

Didnt Given himself actually come out and say he was going no where while under contract a few weeks ago? Fucks me off when the papers still write up their shite after the player himself has stating he isnt leaving.

I would cash in and sell him, the same as I would of done if I was Fergusson with Ronaldo following last season goals tally (never to be repeated by him again) Harper would do okay for the remainder of this season and has been stated a couple of good keepers in the wings.

I would of done the same with Shearer a couple of seasons ago,there's always another in line to takeover.

bluelaugh.gif

Oh, and admit that your DOF bollocks is the reason why all this trouble we are in, on and off the pitch.

That is all.

The answer that you were looking for is that apart from the biggest clubs in the World all clubs have had players that will move on to further their footballing career, not all players will as some will show loyalty to their club and others are happy with their life so stay in their comfort zome, but some do which is what Hamann, Jenas and Woodgate did.

the answer I am looking for - to repeat it - is that players who were the very fabric of the club are wanting to leave to further their footballing ambitions. This hasn't happened for a long time.

For the 3rd time, Merlin has also said the same thing in a differerent way. You should learn to listen. Especially when you know nothing, and clearly don't understand. Never mind though, you were 11 when the Halls and Shepherd came to the club, and have never seen this, so I'm sure you know best.

mackems.gif

Cashing in on Shay could be the difference between staying up or sinking into the Championship.  For me, he is the most important player in the squad and personally I dont have the faith that our Manager and Board have the sense to use any funds raised sensibly.

bluelaugh.gif

That is all.

the answer I am looking for - to repeat it - is that players who were the very fabric of the club are wanting to leave to further their footballing ambitions. This hasn't happened for a long time.

For the 3rd time, Merlin has also said the same thing in a differerent way. You should learn to listen. Especially when you know nothing, and clearly don't understand. Never mind though, you were 11 when the Halls and Shepherd came to the club, and have never seen this, so I'm sure you know best.

mackems.gif

Merlin gave 2 players that were happy to stay in Speed and Rob Lee, I've given 3 examples of players that left because they wanted to move to what they thought were better clubs with more chance of success, I've also pointed out that all players are different and some are happy to stay if they're happy in the area where as others will move on to chase medals.

This happens everywhere btw, Shearer was happy to leave Southampton for a chance of winning something but Le Tissier was just as happy to stay in his comfort zone, as I've said it's a different players have different attitudes.

Age has nothing to do with it.

bluelaugh.gif

That is all.

mackems.gif

Merlin gave 2 players that were happy to stay in Speed and Rob Lee, I've given 3 examples of players that left because they wanted to move to what they thought were better clubs with more chance of success, I've also pointed out that all players are different and some are happy to stay if they're happy in the area where as others will move on to chase medals.

This happens everywhere btw, Shearer was happy to leave Southampton for a chance of winning something but Le Tissier was just as happy to stay in his comfort zone, as I've said it's a different players have different attitudes.

Given played in the same Cup Final team and Champs League teams as both Speed and Lee. Its a lot different when a player who is the fabric of the club gives up on the chance of success. As I said, its a new experience for you, as it hasn't happened for almost 2 decades, so I don't expect you to understand.

bluelaugh.gif

That is all.

mackems.gif

Given played in the same Cup Final team and Champs League teams as both Speed and Lee. Its a lot different when a player who is the fabric of the club gives up on the chance of success. As I said, its a new experience for you, as it hasn't happened for almost 2 decades, so I don't expect you to understand.

That has nothing to do with it as Hamann played in a cup final for us too yet he went off to join a club that was more successful.

You're just trying to build another strawman argument to say that players are leaving under Ashley for more success (even though nobody has yet) and that it didn't happen under the old board (which it did on the 3 occasions I've pointed out)

Everybody knows it too.

bluelaugh.gif

That is all.

mackems.gif

That has nothing to do with it as Hamann played in a cup final for us too yet he went off to join a club that was more successful.

You're just trying to build another strawman argument to say that players are leaving under Ashley for more success (even though nobody has yet) and that it didn't happen under the old board (which it did on the 3 occasions I've pointed out)

Everybody knows it too.

we'll see how many players we can tempt here when other big premiership clubs are also in for them then, and how many we keep.

I'm sure Denis the DOF will be able to persuade us to sign top players and keep the others, unless his boss tells him they are to be sold for a profit that is. Still, I'm sure you think thats the way to persuade these players we are a top club.

bluelaugh.gif

That is all.

mackems.gif

Everybody knows it too.

we'll see how many players we can tempt here when other big premiership clubs are also in for them then, and how many we keep.

I'm sure Denis the DOF will be able to persuade us to sign top players and keep the others, unless his boss tells him they are to be sold for a profit that is. Still, I'm sure you think thats the way to persuade these players we are a top club.

The strawman is complete, well done. :lol:

bluelaugh.gif

That is all.

mackems.gif

Everybody knows it too.

The strawman is complete, well done. :lol:

haven't a clue what you're babbling on about lad.

bluelaugh.gif

Cashing in on Shay could be the difference between staying up or sinking into the Championship.  For me, he is the most important player in the squad and personally I dont have the faith that our Manager and Board have the sense to use any funds raised sensibly.

Yeah, his outstanding performance made all the difference against Liverpool didn't it. Despite all the saves he made the shite performance of our outfield players meant we still lost the game.

Shay makes some oustanding saves, no doubt, but 90% of the keepers in the premiership would make saves in most (not all) of the same situations. The difference between a good goalkeeper and a very good goalkeeper is very small. We've got just as much chance of going down with Shay in goal as if we didn't because our squad is piss weak.

Outstanding goalkeepers are often the fine line between a team finishing 1st or 2nd but IMO they are rarely the difference between a team staying up or going down - that's normally due to a collective group of players who aren't good enough.

Name me one goalkeeper who has kept his team from being relegated through a series of outstanding performances.............   

Yeah, his outstanding performance made all the difference against Liverpool didn't it. Despite all the saves he made the s**** performance of our outfield players meant we still lost the game.

Shay makes some oustanding saves, no doubt, but 90% of the keepers in the premiership would make saves in most (not all) of the same situations. The difference between a good goalkeeper and a very good goalkeeper is very small. We've got just as much chance of going down with Shay in goal as if we didn't because our squad is piss weak.

Outstanding goalkeepers are often the fine line between a team finishing 1st or 2nd but IMO they are rarely the difference between a team staying up or going down - that's normally due to a collective group of players who aren't good enough.

Name me one goalkeeper who has kept his team from being relegated through a series of outstanding performances.............   

Jimmy Glass